Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

How long does it take for spawning to start?

6 posts in this topic

My fantail started showing breeding stars back in February, but spawning has not yet begun. (Yes, there is a female in the tank - the same moor he spawned with last summer.) Last summer, if I recall correctly, it took several months between the time breeding stars first appeared and spawning. The same fantail showed breeding stars months ahead of time, while the male telescope that was also involved in the spawning did not show them until the day before.

Does the timeframe just vary among different fish? Did the fantail show breeding stars earlier because he was the more dominant one in the tank? I'm curious to hear what your experiences are.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They can show stars without spawning, so that isn't really a reliable indication that it will happen. It's all about the females going into season. There are various techniques to see if you can get the females to become gravid, but it's all up to them when spawning happens.

Just watch your girls. :)

I have had boys with loads of stars and no female in the tank. So I agree stars dont necessarily mean spawning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Interesting ... I always thought stars meant the fish was about to spawn!

Chelsea, what are these techniques you speak of that will allow me to see if my female is gravid? It is hard for me to tell since she's always pretty chubby. She very much has an "outie" right now.

Stars in males according to my observation mean your guy ready for matting with your female . And this defiantly not conditioned to female company . It,s like " woman not necessary for man to become hot ! "

:rofl

Newton frequently has stars and he lives alone.