Sign in to follow this  
GoldieNewb

Goldie food that doesn't have color enhancement

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I recently bought my fish Soilent green. I've mixed it with some bloodworms and they love it! The reason I got this food is because I worry about them getting floaty (they haven't had that issue but I want to prevent it) and I thought it didn't have color enhancing ingredients like most foods seem to.

Now that I've been reading the forums more I've seen some people mention that this food does actually enhance a fish's color. The reason I don't want to get a color enhancing food is that I've read it will make my ranchu's black color fade to orange and I'd rather not have that happen. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good food that will not make her change colors.

Thanks!

Most foods will have it, and I can't really think of one of the top of my head that doesn't.

I have 3 black fish, and they have gone though all kinds of foods, including Repashy, and they are still black. :)

Black is very unstable in general, but how stable it is lies mostly in the genetics. I have fed my black ranchu Soilent green and saki hikari color enhancing and he is still pure black, even on the under side of the belly.

Most foods will have it, and I can't really think of one of the top of my head that doesn't.

I have 3 black fish, and they have gone though all kinds of foods, including Repashy, and they are still black. :)

Yeah, I kinda figured that. :(

Thanks, that's good to know! :) I'm going to love my fishy regardless but I'd rather her stay black if possible!

Black is very unstable in general, but how stable it is lies mostly in the genetics. I have fed my black ranchu Soilent green and saki hikari color enhancing and he is still pure black, even on the under side of the belly.

So I've heard :( I know her dad stayed black (I met him and he's 5 years old and still nice and dark) and I believe her mom was too. That give me hope she'll stay! :)

I remember reading in the past that ingredients added for color enhancement would promote sterility in the goldfish. Has anyone else heard that and is it a concern? I have been thinking of the Hikari Lionhead, but have resisted any foods that claim color enhancement for this reason.

Thanks

I remember reading in the past that ingredients added for color enhancement would promote sterility in the goldfish. Has anyone else heard that and is it a concern? I have been thinking of the Hikari Lionhead, but have resisted any foods that claim color enhancement for this reason.

Thanks

I'm not sure, but at least from the real life experiences of people on this forum, this is not true.

Plenty of HL-fed fish on here have spawned fry. :rofl

Cool, that is good to know. It certainly opens up a wider range of good food choices. Also good to know that the goldfish haven't had their fun restricted either. :teehee

Thanks for the quick and good reply.

Shane

I think it's also worth noting that soilent green and other repashy gels are not purposefully color enhancing like most pellets. The yellowing you see occur on white fish when switched to soilent green, super green, spawn and grow, etc. Is due to the high algae content. That being said I don't see how melanophore migration and color enhancing foods could be directly correlated. As many people already stated retaining of black pigments is mainly genetic. And the best way to keep a black fish nice and dark is to put it outside and let it get plenty of sunlight. A true black will hold it indoors as well but a bit of sun never hurts :rofl