Elisa

EGGS !

160 posts in this topic

Mochi has been chasing Misha around pretty avidly since putting them together...
I didn't think anything of it as I assumed Misha was a boy (lack of 'outie' vent and a few breeding stars....and me wanting her to be a him) :doh11:
This morning, when I went to feed them breakfast, Mochi was at it again....Smashing poor Misha into plants and filter intakes.
At first I was horrified, but then upon closer inspection I noticed there were eggs- everywhere :blink::yikes

I have no idea what to do, as I really do not have the space or time to raise fry at the moment :krazy:
I don't even know if the eggs are fertile ?
Mochi is a confirmed male (lots of breeding stars on gill plates and pectorals coupled with his incessant chasing of Misha etc; )
---- what do i do?????

And how long does it take to tell if eggs are fertilized?
*freaking out*
:krazy:

If you don't want to keep the eggs, leave them in the tank for 24 hours and then do a huge WC. I am sure the fish would like the meal. You won't even need to feed them today.

(I totally told you to pick a neutral name for a reason! :teehee I had my suspicions on Misha's gender.)

AHHH that's so cool! Are you gonna keep them??

YOU COULD RAISE THEM IN PLASTIC TOTES AND IT WOULD BE ADORBS

I know I said I don't have 'time or space' but now I am totally on board with keeping them if they are fertile :rofl

How soon does the 'black dot' show up in the eggs?

Should I remove the eggs now and put them in a seperate container and see what happens?

How big of a space do you think the eggs/fry will need for the first week or so?

.....the idea of moshi and misha fry is too adorable for me to pass up ! :heart

If you don't want to keep the eggs, leave them in the tank for 24 hours and then do a huge WC. I am sure the fish would like the meal. You won't even need to feed them today.

(I totally told you to pick a neutral name for a reason! :teehee I had my suspicions on Misha's gender.)

lol i had a think about it and i really think i would want to keep them if they are in fact fertile (idk if Mochi fertilized them :o )...

Mochi and Misha babies would be sooooooo cute :heart

I'm glad I took your advice on the naming ;)

I am actually quite excited now at the prospect of adorable baby orandas :happydance

They don't need a lot of space at first. I'd keep them in about 6 inches of water in a 10 gallon or a sterilite tub. No airstone even for the first week. What is your water temp? They would hatch faster at a warmer temp . . .

Congrats! :nana

I know I said I don't have 'time or space' but now I am totally on board with keeping them if they are fertile :rofl

How soon does the 'black dot' show up in the eggs?

Should I remove the eggs now and put them in a seperate container and see what happens?

How big of a space do you think the eggs/fry will need for the first week or so?

.....the idea of moshi and misha fry is too adorable for me to pass up ! :heart

YAY you must keep us updated!! I think I started to notice the black dots after a couple of days?

And yeah I would move the eggs right away before your goldies decide to eat them lol. And I think they only need like 3 gallons or so? I'm pretty new at this so I'm not really sure. I put my eggs in a spare 10g I had with just a couple of inches of water, but I don't think you actually need a tank that big.

The fertile ones will be clear or slightly yellowish but transparent. The unfertilized ones will be milky white and gradually develop fungus. Good luck, I hope you get some fry!

They don't need a lot of space at first. I'd keep them in about 6 inches of water in a 10 gallon or a sterilite tub. No airstone even for the first week. What is your water temp? They would hatch faster at a warmer temp . . .

Congrats! :nana

The temp in the main tank is about 75 degrees Fahrenheit :D

If I keep the temp at 70 degrees in the tub will that be okay? Should I remove the eggs now-ish?

Ohmygoodness I am so excited !

Thanks so much you guys ! I will keep you all posted :D
Going to set up a bin for the eggs, fingers crossed that some of them make it :heart

Yep, I'd go get a bin and get them out. The longer they are in there, the more will get eaten. :teehee

70 should be fine. I think Waldo hatched in mid to upper 60s. Once I realized how cold his tank was I added a small heater and kept it between 70-72*. :D

Yep, I'd go get a bin and get them out. The longer they are in there, the more will get eaten. :teehee

70 should be fine. I think Waldo hatched in mid to upper 60s. Once I realized how cold his tank was I added a small heater and kept it between 70-72*. :D

about how many days does it take before they hatch?

awwwwwwww little waldo is the cutest :heart

I found his egg on a Monday and he hatched Wed night. I don't know how long the egg was there when I found it but it already had eyes. :teehee

I would think it will take a couple days to see eyes and another 2-4 for hatching. :idont

But what do I know? I only had one egg. :rofl3

I want a baby Mocha for my pond!!!! :D

I think a trip to the LFS for some brine shrimp eggs is in order. ;) Check out Solid Gold's channel for a good DIY Hatchery video.

Congratulations Elisa! :D

thanks guys :D
and chelsea, i would be honored to send a baby mocha out your way to live in your illustrious pond :wub:

will be headed down to my lfs for some bbs this afternoon :happydance

:teehee Surprise! :rofl

:Congrats:

Have fun with bbs! Pain in the :booty

Elisa, you will be the cutest grammy ever!

First of all congratulations ^^! And second, check out my post about how to find out and the process since day 0. Of course all it's my experience up to the moment and in the forum there are many experts (not only my opinions). Have fun!!

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116694-fertilized-eggs-microscope-findings/page-3

Neato!!!!

I think Ken loves to send his girls when they are way fertile. Less cleanup for him. :rofl

Congrats, and good luck!! :nana:lisa::nana

Hooray! Be sure to post pics, as soon as they hatch, and you'll get a shiny breeders medal! :nana

Congratulations!!!!

Congrats!

Good luck! There should be a couple more rounds of egg laying, so get your spawning mops ready. :)

thanks guys :D

eggs are looking good this morning, some are obviously 'unfertile'-
but quite a few are still 'clear' so keeping my fingers crossed :happydance

i also picked up some methylene blue at my lfs yesterday to combat any potential fungus-
should i add it to the water?
will it hurt the plant that's in there?