Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

Breeding behavior turning violent....?

So it's been almost 2 weeks since Hodor last laid eggs, and now she's getting chased again....but it's looking like a little more than just chasing this time. She's being chased by 2 males at the same time, and they're being a little aggressive about it this time. Like, pushing her against the walls and floors of the tank, and they've even managed to knock her upside down a few times. She was looking pretty tired, so I moved her to a plastic tub so she can relax for a bit.

I woke up to find them doing that, so who knows how long they were going at it like that. I didn't find any eggs at all in the tank.

So how long should I keep them separated before the males chill out? If I put her back in, are they just gonna go right back to hassling her again? Is there anything else I can do to get them to leave her alone? Because it didn't seem like Hodor was having much fun. o;

How big is the tub? Does she look eggy?

If she looks full of eggs try the following: When she has had a little rest time, switch her for one of the chasing males and keep an eye on her with the other.

If she looks full of eggs try the following: When she has had a little rest time, switch her for one of the chasing males and keep an eye on her with the other.

I'm not really sure what eggy is supposed to look like. o:

She looks a little less plump than she was right before she laid eggs last time though. Maybe she doesn't have any eggs left in her? It's been less than 2 weeks since she last laid eggs, and she had laid eggs a month before that too.

I think the tub is like 18 gallons or something.

She looks a little less plump than she was right before she laid eggs last time though. Maybe she doesn't have any eggs left in her? It's been less than 2 weeks since she last laid eggs, and she had laid eggs a month before that too.

Basically, eggy fish look fatter than normal, often especially on one side. 2 weeks is a reasonable time for her to have between laying, and if she is secreting the right stuff to get the males to chase, she's probably ready to lay again.

The tub isn't big enough for two, so pick a male to switch spots with her once you think she's recovered enough. She may be able to better handle just one male.

Basically, eggy fish look fatter than normal, often especially on one side. 2 weeks is a reasonable time for her to have between laying, and if she is secreting the right stuff to get the males to chase, she's probably ready to lay again.

The tub isn't big enough for two, so pick a male to switch spots with her once you think she's recovered enough. She may be able to better handle just one male.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

I think I'll make some spawning mops while she's taking a break. :)

Oh another question, how often do females tend to lay? If she lays again today that will be the 3rd time in the past 2 months, and every time she lays my motherly instincts kick in and I feel the need to rescue every egg lol.

Ok so I took out one of the males, and she's doing much better with just the 1. I'm seeing some eggs on the bottom of the tank (and my black moor is gobbling them up as soon as he sees them :/) but I can't tell if there's any eggs on the spawning mops. They're light green, so I can't really tell....

It's hard to tell how often she'll lay and for how long. Some people on here have had fish lay almost consistently for months, others have had them lay only once since they got them. I think your fish is going about average, IMO.

It's awesome to see the eggs on the mops! I am glad she was able to lay peacefully with only one male counterpart. :)

Give her awhile to make sure she is free of eggs before removing the mops, or until they start trying to eat the eggs that are on the mops.

Aw man I was literally JUST about to take out that one egg (it's the only egg that I've been able to find on either of the mops) and then one of the goldies ate it. Oh well. xD

Just a quick update, there is peace and harmony in the tank again lol. :)

Just out of curiosity I decided to test the water in the tub where I put Hodor temporarily. (I was too lazy to drain it yesterday lol.)

Look at all that ammonia! o;

8TVvl7sl.jpg

Hodor was only in the tub for about an hour, and then one of the males was in there for about 30 minutes. I knew goldies were messy, but I never expected that much ammonia to be in there in less than 2 hours! Thank goodness for my wonderful sump. xD

I'm thinking maybe I should get a sponge filter to have on hand for if I need to put one of the goldies in a tub temporarily. I could probably just stick it in the sump to cycle it. :)

I think that is likely from the excess 'stuff' the fish put out when they are in breeding mode.

I think that is likely from the excess 'stuff' the fish put out when they are in breeding mode.

Ohh you're probably right about that, especially since I let it sit in there all night lol.