ghoti

Photos of fantail goldfish please?:)

89 posts in this topic

The title is pretty self-explanatory. If it isn't much of a hassle for some of you, I'd really like to see photos of your fantails.

I've also noticed some people's fantails are more "elongated" (like this one) compared to other fancies that are more "ball" shaped, and wondered if all (if not most) fantails turned out like that.

(and I just really want to see some of y'all's fantails, lol)

Fantails do tend to be more elongated. Here is a pic of my current fantail who was undergoing a change from orange to white at the time of this photo. :)

7ytujuje.jpg

*_*its so beautiful. I can't wait to see other people's fantails

Here is Mr T

When I first got him

uty8uhy8.jpg

Now

uqarety3.jpg

This one was in a ryukin tank when I got him but he is more of a fantailu6e9y7u4.jpgda5yresu.jpg

This is my girl Rachel (sorry the second pic is blurry)

jagepu2u.jpgumyhaqez.jpg

My calico boy Cal

samusugy.jpgy5ynyjeb.jpg

And my single fry Lucky.

e3evymu9.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This is the one I have now.

gfMonday068_zps630a4763.jpg

This is one I had in the past. He was 9 inches.

Goldfish922013.jpg

Here's my Peaches. First with tank mate Aten:

2fe76549-3a8b-493f-9361-eb1e4d751b3d_zps

And alone, mostly. Jaques the snail is in the corner.

IMG_24871_zpsf8ff346a.jpg

Meet Gwen

Gwen_20140401.JPG

One more:

Gwen4.23.14.JPG

Edited by mysterygirl

All of your fantails look so amazing.

Hidr and Daniel's white fantails with the purple and pink splotches look like they have a transparent body. Reminds me a lot of SolidGold's "ghost bristols" too, lol.

I've grown to love the calico colorings now *_*, it makes the fish so much more unique

Meet Gwen

Gwen_20140401.JPG

One more:

Gwen4.23.14.JPG

That is a stunning fish. :o That color. :heart

ghoti--Hidr and Daniel's fish are matte fish meaning they have non shiny scales vs metallic/shiny ones like many fish have. They also have blush plates--the area of pink on their gills. :D

Calicos are gorgeous. :)

Here is a calico fantail of mine from the past. :heart

azenagyp.jpg

Casey & Finnegan were long bodied fantails
Fish005-1.jpg

Olaf is rounder
Fish008-1.jpg

Fish005-1.jpg

When I scrolled down and first saw the top of this photo I thought, "Who's posting a picture of Peaches? And where did they get this photo?" It wasn't until I saw the second fish that I realized it wasn't one of mine! Ooops.

ghoti--Hidr and Daniel's fish are matte fish meaning they have non shiny scales vs metallic/shiny ones like many fish have. They also have blush plates--the area of pink on their gills. :D

azenagyp.jpg

Ooh. I almost thought they'd be considered "albino" since the looked like they were lacking pigment xD

Fish005-1.jpg

I almost thought Casey and Finnegan were shubunkins! Haha.

I love how some fantails are more footbally versions of comets. Its like the best of both worlds, lol :rockon

haha! i have a similar one too! she's just over 9 years old now & going strong :)

rocky1_zpsfd03a160.jpg

haha! i have a similar one too! she's just over 9 years old now & going strong :)

rocky1_zpsfd03a160.jpg

Gorgeous fish. Thank goodness goldfish are so long-lived. More time for us to admire their beauty.

azenagyp.jpg

Ooh. I almost thought they'd be considered "albino" since the looked like they were lacking pigment xD

Fish005-1.jpg

I almost thought Casey and Finnegan were shubunkins! Haha.

I love how some fantails are more footbally versions of comets. Its like the best of both worlds, lol :rockon

A fantail is a fancy goldfish without further genetic mutations such as a hump, wan, or telescope eyes. I personally like the fantail more than any other fancy breed. Lol

Some also argue that they are more hardy and less prone to problems.

Oh and here is an albino goldfish from RG. Its not a fantail but one of the only albino ones I know of right off the top of my head.

sa5ypave.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Gotta agree with you there. Although I love the other fancies, I can't help but love the "simplicity" more.

Oh what I'd give for an albino now, haha.

rocky1_zpsfd03a160.jpg

She's beautiful Helen! I've had Peaches for almost a year now. I certainly hope I can care for him well enough that he makes it to a similar age as your beauty. I've had three fish make it to 8+ (two comets and a loach), but most of my fancies have only made it to 2-5 years.

A fantail is a fancy goldfish without further genetic mutations such as a hump, wan, or telescope eyes. I personally like the fantail more than any other fancy breed. Lol

Some also argue that they are more hardy and less prone to problems.

I have to admit that of my 16 fish, Gwen the fantail is my favorite. He has a the biggest personality. He notices me and keeps his attention fixed on me until I interact with him, swims up to wherever I am, lets me pet him, he's easily the most trusting out of all my fish.

I was concerned how he'd do in the shallow pond over winter - but even though we had a week of temperatures in the 20's he was fine.

Edited by mysterygirl

Rocky is only about 5 1/2" to 6" long including tail.. she's a small fish and has been through a lot of health issues. several rounds of bacteria cysts, injuries in the tank and from my dropping her :o , she's had a severe case of flukes.. and now she has a virus which comes and goes. during the time where the virus is present, she's not affected and you wouldn't know it was there if you didn't see it..

as a calico fish, during her worst round of bacteria cysts which saw her in qt for almost 3 months, during her unwell stage, she lost ALL her black spots. she almost looked like a sakura styled colouring for a while. then once better, it was a few months before the first black spot reappeared. i panicked at first, thinking that it was something bad. but, then i realized it was just her calico coming back :)

Rocky is only about 5 1/2" to 6" long including tail.. she's a small fish and has been through a lot of health issues. several rounds of bacteria cysts, injuries in the tank and from my dropping her :o , she's had a severe case of flukes.. and now she has a virus which comes and goes. during the time where the virus is present, she's not affected and you wouldn't know it was there if you didn't see it..

as a calico fish, during her worst round of bacteria cysts which saw her in qt for almost 3 months, during her unwell stage, she lost ALL her black spots. she almost looked like a sakura styled colouring for a while. then once better, it was a few months before the first black spot reappeared. i panicked at first, thinking that it was something bad. but, then i realized it was just her calico coming back :)

I'm sorry Rocky has been through so much. She does look happy though. :) It's interesting that she has suffered from bacterial cysts. Peaches spent most of the fall in QT due to cysts. No sooner would one drain and start to heal than the next one would be near bursting. He came through it like a champ and developed his first breeding stars the first week he was back in the main tank. His colour has remained remarkably consistent. I expected the black to fade as he grew, but so far so stable.

This is my fantail, her name is Smudge.

item.JPG?rot=1

Nice portrait of her LabRat99.

:yikes that all sounds terrifying and so long lived! I'm glad you were able to keep her going :)