Kokos Goldfish Forum
Tuba Toothpaste

Orandakins update!

Awwww! So adorable. The fry has a bit of a Buddha belly!

Awwww! So adorable. The fry has a bit of a Buddha belly!

Lol he does! This batch of fry has been eating really well and they all look really healthy, unlike my last batch who unfortunately did not survive. Last time I had fry I fed them cooked egg yolks which I think is why they all died, they just weren't eating it. Baby brine shrimp is working much better for me.

Just so you can see the difference, here is a pic of one of my fry from the last batch. This fry was 2 weeks old.

lCXWMyhl.jpg

It looks waaay skinny and underdeveloped, but since that was my first time trying to raise fry I had no idea what healthy fry was supposed to look like. From now on no more egg yolks for my babies, brine shrimp all the way! :D

The Orandakins are 2 weeks old today! Hooray!

I picked one with a prettier tail for the video this time lol.

Most of the fry seem to be doing well. And I can see tiny dorsal fins starting to stick out now!

You can really see the growth from week 1 to week 2:

E0ZqD14l.jpg

NZIFwfSl.jpg

I'm such a proud grandma. <3

they look awesome !!! loved the video :D:heart
can't wait till my fry grow as big as yours :wub:

off to get them some live bbs this afternoon..... fed hikari first bites this morning and some of the fry seemed to be nomming but they're so small i really couldn't tell lol

off to get them some live bbs this afternoon..... fed hikari first bites this morning and some of the fry seemed to be nomming but they're so small i really couldn't tell lol

I've never tried first bites, by the baby brine shrimp has been working SO well for me so far!

I fed my last batch of fry cooked egg yolks and they simply showed no interest, and they all died...but this batch of babies is doing great!!

I've never tried first bites, by the baby brine shrimp has been working SO well for me so far!

I fed my last batch of fry cooked egg yolks and they simply showed no interest, and they all died...but this batch of babies is doing great!!

i'm so scared to lose any of the babies- i've grown so attached and it's only been three days :doh11:

can't wait to see how they react to the live bbs....

I'm the same way, it was really sad to lose the last ones and it's made me paranoid about these ones. But these ones look a million times healthier so I'm not TOO worried.

I have a feeling your babies will love the BBS! :D

How did you feed the egg yolk last time? I kind of ground it up between my thumb and forefinger underwater to dissolve it as much as I could. Then I would drop the solution into the fry tub with an eyedropper. My fry ate that for nearly a week until I could get a brine shrimp hatchery going. Their little bellies were bright yellow so I know they were eating it.

How did you feed the egg yolk last time? I kind of ground it up between my thumb and forefinger underwater to dissolve it as much as I could. Then I would drop the solution into the fry tub with an eyedropper. My fry ate that for nearly a week until I could get a brine shrimp hatchery going. Their little bellies were bright yellow so I know they were eating it.

I did it pretty much the same way, except I didn't use a dropper I just poured it in. I never noticed their bellies turn yellow, they always just looked see through to me. I don't know why they didn't like it. The egg yolks were the only food I had for them for 2 weeks, and then they all started dying.

so i finally got the bbs for my fry :happydance
i also picked up some duckweed..... but it's got a bunch of snails that came with it :doh11:
they're the super tiny kind....and one that's about the size of a dime-
are they okay to put in with the fry? .....i've heard goldfish like munching on them and their eggs, but i'm not sure if that's correct lol

so i finally got the bbs for my fry :happydance

i also picked up some duckweed..... but it's got a bunch of snails that came with it :doh11:

they're the super tiny kind....and one that's about the size of a dime-

are they okay to put in with the fry? .....i've heard goldfish like munching on them and their eggs, but i'm not sure if that's correct lol

Woot woot! I just put some wisteria in my fry tank last night, they love it!

Hmm I'm not sure about the snails, I'm pretty new at this too and I've never had snails in my fry tank before. I think I may have heard about fry liking to eat the eggs too though.

awwwwwwww maybe i'll take what's left of the wisteria from Mochi and Misha's tank and put it in with the fry....
since your guys are finding it tasty ! lol

glad to see that there is a fellow fry-raising newbie on the forum ;)
i take comfort in reading everyones chronicles :D

going to QT the duck weed as per Lisa's suggestion.... don't know what to do about the snails though :blink:

Edited by Elisa

awwwwwwww maybe i'll take what's left of the wisteria from Mochi and Misha's tank and put it in with the fry....

the two of them literally decimated it :rofl

guess it's tasty ! lol

glad to see that there is a fellow fry-raising newbie on the forum ;)

i take comfort in reading everyones chronicles :D

going to QT the duck weed as per Lisa's suggestion.... don't know what to do about the snails though :blink:

Me too, newbies unite! xD

I've learned a lot about raising fry from this forum too! I love looking in other people's threads and seeing how fast their fry have grown, it gives me an idea on what to expect!

Raising baby goldfish is seriously the most fun I've had in a long time (maybe that makes me rly lame but whatever I don't care lol).

Edited by Tuba Toothpaste

I did it pretty much the same way, except I didn't use a dropper I just poured it in. I never noticed their bellies turn yellow, they always just looked see through to me. I don't know why they didn't like it. The egg yolks were the only food I had for them for 2 weeks, and then they all started dying.

So I guess eggs from Texas just taste better??? :teehee

I love reading the adventures of goldfish grandparents! Just too precious!

Used a different brand of brine shrimp eggs today and I did not get a good hatch at all....I'm hoping it was just a fluke, these are all I've got until I get new ones in the mail.

At least they have some wisteria in there to nibble on in the meantime, and I put a crushed up algae wafer in there too. I wonder if any of them will go for it.

Got another crappy hatch today too....I don't know if it's the brand of brine shrimp eggs or if I just got a bad batch. I finally got the other eggs in the mail today, so I hope the fry will be okay until tomorrow. :(

Also, Hodor laid some more eggs this morning....I took some of them out. xD

So I stopped by Petsmart and they didn't have any brine shrimp, but I picked up some Hikari frozen tubifex worms. I didn't expect the fry to actually go for it, but they seem to really like it! :D

So I stopped by Petsmart and they didn't have any brine shrimp, but I picked up some Hikari frozen tubifex worms. I didn't expect the fry to actually go for it, but they seem to really like it! :D

glad they are enjoying the yummy worms !

can't wait to try feeding mine new things :teehee

The orandakins are still doing great!

So remember those new eggs I took out a couple of days ago? Well....

uFMCMiR.png

It looks like I'm gonna be a grandma again! ;D

I counted 18 eggs with eyes lol.

I have them in this little shoebox thing at the moment.

LQWdodP.png

I wonder if there will ever be a time where this new batch of fry can live with my current batch without the older ones beating up the little ones? I would think I wouldn't be able to do that for quite awhile, since they grow so fast early on. This new batch will be about 3 weeks younger than the current batch.

omg your fry look amazing sarah !!! (like actual fish !! lol loving the tail :heart )
and yayyyyyy for the new babies !!! :wub:
idk if you can keep them together or not.... i'd be afraid that the older ones would eat them lol
i'm sure someone more knowledgable will let you know :D