Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

my fry tank is looking nasty as hell

17 posts in this topic

So I have about 15 fry in a 10g tank, they are 4 days old now. I fed the fry baby brine shrimp when they were 2 days old, because I hadn't ever hatched baby brine shrimps before and I wanted to make sure I could do it. But when I first fed them the brine shrimp they didn't seem too interested, as they were still attached to their egg sacs. So now I have a bunch of brine shrimp gunk like eggshells and dead brine shrimps caked on the bottom of the tank and it's really gross. I tried to use some airline tubing to siphon it off, but it's not really getting much of it.

Should I do that thing where I move the fry to another tank while I scrub the dirty tank? Or would that stress them out too much as they are only 4 days old? I just wanna get get the tank clean in the safest way possible.

I also have another question about feeding. I've heard people suggest that you feed fry 3 times a day, but I've noticed that the brine shrimp I feed them in the morning lasts them all day. Maybe it's just because they're still so small and they don't eat as much, and I only have 15 fry. So if that's the case, is it ok for me to just give them baby brine shrimp once a day?

I tried that too, but it isn't really helping much because it's kind of caked on. I think it pretty much needs to be scraped off somehow.

i am not sure about the feeding... but do you have a latex glove? perhaps you can wear it, rinse it well with tap water and then simply wipe the bottom of the fry tank with it? i guess so long as the gunk is removed from the bottom and floating, you can then do a usual water change? just a suggestion. i really know nothing about fry... good luck :)

I made a small siphon today using a piece of the hard tubing that goes in the center of a lift tube and some airline tubing. That worked pretty well siphoning the bottom of my fry tanks.

I'm definitely no expert on raising fry; this is my first attempt. But I've been moving mine back and forth between tubs daily since they hatched and they seem to be doing okay.

Here's a video I found of using airline tubing to clean a fry tank. Hopefully it helps. :D

I would just use a cleaning pad or whatever you usually use to remove biofilm from the sides of the tank and very gently run it along the bottom so it comes off, then give it about 20 minutes to settle to the bottom so you can see what's gunk and what're fry, and then remove the now loosened gunk with a water change.

Feed them a fraction of what you think they might need and observe. How fast do they go after it? Do they get them all in 5 minutes? Observe from there and add to the amount needed until youve found the correct amount. Feed this at least 3x daily, 4 - 6 would be even better if possible.

Another option is spawn and grow gel food, which won't foul the water and you can leave a cube in all day for them to pick at.

Edited by GreenTea

I have kept fry in shallow tubs with about 3" of water. I moved them into a fresh tub every other day. If the water is shallow, it is really quite easy to scoop a tiny baby up in your cupped hand and move it to a clean container. It stays in water through the transfer.

I use my aqueon water changer to suck debris off the bottom. You can use it to scrape the bottom. Obviously, use caution to not suck up a fish.

I agree with the switching tubs. It's a lot easier than trying not to suck them up and your chances of hurting them are less.

I have kept fry in shallow tubs with about 3" of water. I moved them into a fresh tub every other day. If the water is shallow, it is really quite easy to scoop a tiny baby up in your cupped hand and move it to a clean container. It stays in water through the transfer.

This is what I did as well. Except I moved my fry with either a tablespoon or cup.

Plastic cup.

Best fry transportation device available lol.

If you use a white cup you can also get a good look at the fry while moving them.

it may be useful to have several tubs for your fry so you can seperate them as you need.

Some fry rapidly outgrow other fry and will then proceed to eat the other fry.

Problem is sometimes the fast growing fry arent always the good ones and will subsequently eat the good ones.

Its also good to separate them incase of infection etc. You only lose a small batch not the whole lot.

Plus when you begin culling sometimes the ones you cull may endoup better than the ones you kept.

So by keeping the culls separate you can see if your judgment was correct and can rectify etc.

Have you got a heater with your fry?

Plastic cup.

Best fry transportation device available lol.

If you use a white cup you can also get a good look at the fry while moving them.

it may be useful to have several tubs for your fry so you can seperate them as you need.

Some fry rapidly outgrow other fry and will then proceed to eat the other fry.

Problem is sometimes the fast growing fry arent always the good ones and will subsequently eat the good ones.

Its also good to separate them incase of infection etc. You only lose a small batch not the whole lot.

Plus when you begin culling sometimes the ones you cull may endoup better than the ones you kept.

So by keeping the culls separate you can see if your judgment was correct and can rectify etc.

Have you got a heater with your fry?

No I don't have a heater, I don't think the water level is high enough to be able to submerge a heater? I just have a desk lamp over the tank atm.

Lay the heater on its side.

Only need approx 2-3" min of water.

Then you can allow the fry some time to rest in the dark and still be warm.

Lay the heater on its side.

Only need approx 2-3" min of water.

Then you can allow the fry some time to rest in the dark and still be warm.

Do you recommend a certain brand of heater? I've heard horror stories about some heaters malfunctioning and killing all the fish. Also what size heater should I get? Should I look for a heater for a 10g tank since that's the size tank it have them in now? (Although there's only a few inches of water in that tank atm.)

Why a heater?

I got $2 dishpans for my fry tubs. For each tub of fry, I initially set up two tubs of water. The fry went in one and the other was ready for the transfer. I put lots of duckweed in the tubs and didn't feed until they were about a month old. Duckweed is loaded with rotifers and other tasty fry food.

I used my hand because I wanted a minimal amount of old water transferred. I find it much harder to catch them when I use a small spoon or scoop. Also, they get used to a hand and become tame early.

Here's what the tubs looked like.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

I counted the fry every time I moved them, so I can tell you that I had over 90% survival during the month or so the fry were in the tubs before I moved them to filtered tanks.

I dont have a particular brand I stick too. Touch wood I haven't had any issues.

You wont need much of a heater perhaps a 10watt?

I prefer using a heater as my fry are usually inside and the growth rate rapidly increases if you can keep the waer temp around 24-25c.