Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Ranchu with a dorsal fin?

Hi Guys,

I was jealously browsing Rainforest last night and came across "Ranchu with dorsal fin". Very cool looking. Would these be considered flawed fish? Is a ranchu with a dorsal fin still a ranchu?

Is a lionhead a ranchu with a big full head wen?

Yes, most Ranchu breeders, judges, etc. would regard this as a flawed fish. I agree with Helen's answer. However, we as collectors can love and appreciate any fish regardless of official standards :)

The Lionhead is the original Chinese dorsaless fish. An ideal Lionhead has a straight back and it's head is large in proportion to it's body. There should also be considerable, bumpy headgrowth. The tail leaves the peduncle at a gentle angle and there is no tuck.

The Ranchu is the refined Japanese version of the original dorsaless breed. They cultivated and bred fish with rounder backs and tight tail tucks. An ideal Ranchu has a smooth arched back, a smaller head proportion to the body and less wen. The wen is also smoother than that of a Lionhead. Finally, the tail should leave the peduncle at a sharp angle.

Of course, there are many blends of these breeds such as the Lionchu which show traits of both fish.

When you started talking about Ranchu it should be clear you're describing a side view Ranchu which is actually developed in China. Japan has developed the top view Ranchu. They have a totally different set of traits and things like tail tuck and sloping of the back are not as important because the animal is only Bred to be viewed from above. They're less round when viewed from above and should be kind of an oblong shape. The head growth is very important, especially the "cheeks" which are known as the funtan. The splay of the tail and how strong it is also defines a good TVR.

6uda4a8e.jpg

evysuhyp.jpguhadajy6.jpg

(Red and white is a TVR and orange is a SVR)

Just wanted to clear that up!

That diagram is perfect. Thanks for posting that.

I like this thread! I hadn't seen them before either and saw them on raingarden. I think they are pretty darn cute, but I'm biased as Humphrey is a "Ranchu with Dorsal" from raingarden:

20140305-20140305-IMG_0310_zps74490c97.j

Now I want one of those.

I was just checking my ranchu fry for dorsals. lol. None...boo.

I was checking on my fry, noticed a bump on its back. I figured it was a parasite of some kind. I took a really close look...and I have one ranchu with a dorsal fin! lol. Still trying to get a photo that will show it. It's the tiniest dorsal ever. I love it.

Here's my little ranchu with a dorsal fin:) hope you can see it. Lolmagynyje.jpg

He's so tiny :wub: Can't wait to see him all grown up :D

I like this thread! I hadn't seen them before either and saw them on raingarden. I think they are pretty darn cute, but I'm biased as Humphrey is a "Ranchu with Dorsal" from raingarden:

Aaaaaaaw! Humphrey is adorable!!!! :wub:

Turns out all my big guys have dorsals. lol. I kept thinking I was looking at the same one. This is weird...

Me too, if I can keep them going. Started out with hundreds...down to 20.

Looks like he's wearing a costume. Too cute! Look at those cheekies!

Me too, if I can keep them going. Started out with hundreds...down to 20.

You have definitely had your fair share of ups and downs trying raise fry. I have my fins crossed for you and am rooting for those little guys to get nice and big!!