Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Wat would I end up with? lol

I have started to see some spawning behaviour with my pom pom and telescope. The picture in my head is hilarious! So would I have telescopes and pom poms, or some crazy looking hybrid? lol

Goldfish genetics are complicated. You could end up with a number of things, depending on the genetics of both fish in the past, especially with the Pompom since there is no distinct breed that can develop those, all breeds can.

It'll be a cute mish-mash, whatever grows from it. :)

What would they look like?? I know what they would look like some sort of goldfish I would probably want :)

One possibility 3ugy3y8e.jpgmubavatu.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What would they look like?? I know what they would look like some sort of goldfish I would probably want :)

Me too! lol. I chuckle every time I try to picture it.

One possibility 3ugy3y8e.jpgmubavatu.jpg

Fabulous! My pom pom's...poms are about twice the size of that pom pom's poms (confused yet?) haha.

I would love to have a fish like that in my collection, for sure. Thanks so much for posting these!

Goldfish genetics are complicated. You could end up with a number of things, depending on the genetics of both fish in the past, especially with the Pompom since there is no distinct breed that can develop those, all breeds can.

It'll be a cute mish-mash, whatever grows from it. :)

I wasn't aware all types could grow poms. Very cool!

Edited by goldiegeek

Its also possible that none will look like that lol thats just how goldfish are.

As a rule of thumb, if you cross fancies that have different mutations, you will get "fantails." If you interbreed the offspring, some in the second generation will have one or the other mutation, and a few might have both.

As a rule of thumb, if you cross fancies that have different mutations, you will get "fantails." If you interbreed the offspring, some in the second generation will have one or the other mutation, and a few might have both.

I wish I could mark this solved, but somehow that is not a possibility here. :)

I was hoping to hear from you Shakaho:) So the odds of having "Telepoms" or "pomoscopes" is teeny weeny....bummer.

Its also possible that none will look like that lol thats just how goldfish are.

A girl can hope...lol

I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure my fry are shubunkin/oranda crosses; I had hoped to get at least one that looked like a calico oranda.

I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure my fry are shubunkin/oranda crosses; I had hoped to get at least one that looked like a calico oranda.

If your oranda is red and white, or just red, what you will get from this cross are some metallic fish and some sakuras. Sakura is basically calico without black. The fish have various shades of orange, yellow peach and pink, and may be spangled with "sequins" of metallic scales. The fish might have blue and black when they are young, but it fades away as they mature.

Your fry may have either single or double tails. You can easily tell the difference in the tails in the tiniest fry by looking at them from above.

Some may have wens -- at least small ones.

Edited by shakaho

If your oranda is red and white, or just red, what you will get from this cross are some metallic fish and some sakuras. Sakura is basically calico without black. The fish have various shades of orange, yellow peach and pink, and may be spangled with "sequins" of metallic scales. The fish might have blue and black when they are young, but it fades away as they mature.

Your fry may have either single or double tails. You can easily tell the difference in the tails in the tiniest fry by looking at them from above.

Some may have wens -- at least small ones.

Mom is a blue oranda that looks like a panda - more black and white than anything else. I'm less sure about Dad, but probably a shubunkin. I did get a mix of single and double tails; it looks like a lot are tripod tails.

How old are your babies and what color are they now?

How old are your babies and what color are they now?

They'll be two weeks old tomorrow. They're just starting to color. I've got a thread about them in this section - it's called "fry update".

Those coloring at 2 weeks are probably nacreous fish. Metallics take months to color.