Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emilyadams

Spawning mops

I've made a couple of spawning mops as per SolidGolds instructions but I'm having a dumb moment... I understand the concept of it and my fish have laid eggs on one of them, but how do the fry find their way through all the yarn to reach the surface for that first breath of air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First breath of air? Do you mean when they inflate their swim bladder for the first time?

After the fry hatch, they don't move for a short time before they then are able to swim. They will swim up for it themselves. Even a 'sinker' (a fish with a permanently damaged swim bladder with no function) can still power up to the surface for air every once in awhile.

Once you see the fry free-swimming, just remove your mop. You shouldn't lose too many when you do, as they will be able to get the heck outta there quickly enough.

First breath of air? Do you mean when they inflate their swim bladder for the first time?

After the fry hatch, they don't move for a short time before they then are able to swim. They will swim up for it themselves. Even a 'sinker' (a fish with a permanently damaged swim bladder with no function) can still power up to the surface for air every once in awhile.

Once you see the fry free-swimming, just remove your mop. You shouldn't lose too many when you do, as they will be able to get the heck outta there quickly enough.

Yeap that's what I meant, wasn't sure how to say it lol. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wiggle the mop gently and remove it very slowly when you take it out, and place it in another smaller container of water because a few probably will get stuck. They will be resting on the yarn too even after they are free swimming so youll need to shake it out regardless :)