Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BronwynH

I Had a Fry!

Earlier this evening I walked over to my tank because Isis, my apple snail, was climbing out of the water on the glass. I wanted to check and see if she was laying eggs as Percival has been attempting to mate with her over the last several days. I lifted up the lid to get a better look. When I did I noticed something tiny, mostly translucent with a black head and a black line down the body squiggling at the top of the water. I looked closer and couldn't believe what I saw. I called over my husband and asked him: "Does that look like a fry to you?" His response was "Yup. You've got a baby fish!" I immediately ran to get my camera to take a photo. The little guy didn't look to good and I wasn't sure I'd be able to take him out of the tank safely and I at least wanted to get a photo. Unfortunately in the 10 seconds or so it took be to grab the camera the little guy disappeared. Honestly, I think Isis ate him as her head was in the general vicinity where he had been.

I have since carefully scanned all corners and surfaces of the tank. I saw no eggs or other fry. That's not to say they weren't/aren't there. I obviously didn't see the batch of eggs this little guy was a part of.

Tomorrow is WC day, so I'll do an extra large change and hope that triggers another spawning. The mother would have been Nephthys my nacreous calico ranchu and the father either Baldrick, my black moor or Osiris, Nephthys' sibling and another nacreous almost entirely blue calico ranchu.

Even though the little guy was probably eaten this is exciting news for me. I would love to try my hand at raising fry even though I know I don't have the space to keep them long term. I know my lfs would love to have some locally sourced fancy goldfish so I imagine they would happily take any fry that survived.

All in all an interesting evening :)

It is so exciting when it happens. If the little eyelash doesn't reappear, remind yourself that it is the goldfish way. :doh11: Perhaps you'll get another chance to rescue one from being on the menu.

That sounds exciting I only have pond babies which are single tails :(

How exciting.

Hope you get more...and take pictures :)

Don't give up on him yet. Remember I had Waldo in a 10 gallon by himself along with some plants and he disappeared for about 36 hours, hence his name. :rofl

But as you've seen on the forum, GF usually spawn more than once. So even if you don't find him, you may get more. Good luck!! :nana

Congratulations on the discovery of a fry! :rofl I'm sorry you couldn't find him again, but I hope you get lots more fry soon :D

If you don't find him again maybe you'll get a second chance with a new batch of eggs. Mine spawned at least three times that I know of. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for joining in the excitement! Fantailfan, I did almost instantly think of Waldo even when I first saw him. Lone little fry somehow having survived life in the big tank. Unfortunately I'm not too hopeful of seeing him again. Even if Isis didn't eat him he just didn't look right. He was still vertical, so no very old yet, but he was twitching in the most unusual way. While I don't really know how fry so young are supposed to move this seemed more distressed than purposeful. He also seemed to have a kinked back. If I noticed it this early I expect he'd have to be a cull if he survived. As almost each of you mentioned my excitement is for the next batch. :D But I'll still keep my eyes open just in case.

Congrats Bronwyn!! In my experience, once they start, they don't stop. lol

It's sooo exciting when you see the first one:) I am so happy for you. As much as I suck at it, raising fry is a very cool experience. Fingers crossed for you.

It's sooo exciting when you see the first one:) I am so happy for you. As much as I suck at it, raising fry is a very cool experience. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks! Looking forward to the next batch. Hopefully I'll catch them in the egg stage so I can just move over some new plants rather than trying to catch tiny little fry. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks! Looking forward to the next batch. Hopefully I'll catch them in the egg stage so I can just move over some new plants rather than trying to catch tiny little fry. We'll see how it goes.

Don't forget the pics:) :popcorn

Oh, do you know which fish were "involved"? :yeah: I, for one, would love to see what mom and dad look like:)

Yay! :rofl

Here's Mum (last in line) and Dads:

IMG_26081_zpsa8ce33fb.jpg

As soon as there's more/new fry to take photos of I shall let you know :)

aww exciting news :) here's to finding more in the future ;)