Sign in to follow this  
LouiseAnn

Chinese import breeding. How to Keep the quality?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. So I have discovered imported fish (in my area) have a lot more issues in general. I suspect its due to being packed in China, sent to Australia, shipped accross the country etc.

I have not yet found a good breeder or importer here. So I'm going on a mission to breed some of the Chinese imports I have access to. But I would like to keep the standard and quality high.

I have access to getting A grade pare. It will either be ranchu, oranda or ryunkin for my first pair. I will be ready to look for them next month. And hopefully breed in the next 3 months.

In this time I want to gather as much information as possible.

Getting them to breed im fine with.... its grooming them I don't know anything about.

What to feed at what stages?

What size grow out tank?

Depth of water?

Green water for fry?

Culling process?

What else is there?

Oh and if anyone in Australia Victoria is or knows of a breeder/importer please let me know!

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Hopefully Jeff or one of the breeders will see this and be able to give you some advice.

As for importers, Helen's guy imports some nice goldfish. They can be fairly pricey, but I suppose that is to be expected for good quality fish.

https://www.facebook.com/NewLifeAquariumPets

you can try New Life... but why not try one of our AU koko breeders first? like RanchuJeff? perhaps he's worked out how to ship goldfish by now? he's got some nice stock :)

Hi everyone. So I have discovered imported fish (in my area) have a lot more issues in general. I suspect its due to being packed in China, sent to Australia, shipped accross the country etc.

I have not yet found a good breeder or importer here. So I'm going on a mission to breed some of the Chinese imports I have access to. But I would like to keep the standard and quality high.

I have access to getting A grade pare. It will either be ranchu, oranda or ryunkin for my first pair. I will be ready to look for them next month. And hopefully breed in the next 3 months.

Getting them to breed im fine with.... its grooming them I don't know anything about.

What size grow out tank?

Depth of water?

Green water for fry?

Culling process?

What else is there?

Oh and if anyone in Australia Victoria is or knows of a breeder/importer please let me know!

Thanks

This was posted on GfK as well, yes? For specific and time testing methods there is a lot of info there as that is their main focus. Theres good info here as well of course but its a lot of info and lots of different methods people have so its more spread out.

Live food first, or hikari first bites/hard boiled eggs etc if thats not an options. Many small meals a day. Water changes every day will provide more body growth, when head growth development is needed wait on water changes a day or two, some wait up to 4 days. Lots of protein to develop hood and swimming muscles, bloodworms also have some good fat which help smooth out ranchu backs, add to ryukin humps, etc.

Depending on which fish you are breeding will require depth requirements, ie high backed short tail ryukin need taller water column and ranchu need shorter water column for optimum proportions.

Check breed standards and cull against those standards at about 7 weeks. Are you keeping only a few of the best fry, or are you wanting to sell some that are pet quality? Do you want to show fish? Continue to cull as they develop and favorable attributes show themselves or flaws show themselves.

Answering those will determine how much space you need. For hundreds or thousands of fry you will need tons of space. I culled down to my best four my first spawn last year and had them in two 20 gallons. Green water isnt necessary and clear water will allow you to better monitor the fish development and the cleanliness of the tank/bottom of the tank, etc.

I hope thats helpful and good luck.

Edited by GreenTea

What size grow out tank?

Depth of water?

Green water for fry?

Culling process?

What else is there?

Thanks

This was posted on GfK as well, yes? For specific and time testing methods there is a lot of info there as that is their main focus. Theres good info here as well of course but its a lot of info and lots of different methods people have so its more spread out.

Live food first, or hikari first bites/hard boiled eggs etc if thats not an options. Many small meals a day. Water changes every day will provide more body growth, when head growth development is needed wait on water changes a day or two, some wait up to 4 days. Lots of protein to develop hood and swimming muscles, bloodworms also have some good fat which help smooth out ranchu backs, add to ryukin humps, etc.

Depending on which fish you are breeding will require depth requirements, ie high backed short tail ryukin need taller water column and ranchu need shorter water column for optimum proportions.

Check breed standards and cull against those standards at about 7 weeks. Are you keeping only a few of the best fry, or are you wanting to sell some that are pet quality? Do you want to show fish? Continue to cull as they develop and favorable attributes show themselves or flaws show themselves.

Answering those will determine how much space you need. For hundreds or thousands of fry you will need tons of space. I culled down to my best four my first spawn last year and had them in two 20 gallons. Green water isnt necessary and clear water will allow you to better monitor the fish development and the cleanliness of the tank/bottom of the tank, etc.

I hope thats helpful and good luck.

So very helpful thank you ;) now I haveba starting point I will be able to do extra research. :D

^-^ LouiseAnn ☆