Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Soilent Green liquid for fry?

I started all my fish on Soilent Green a few months ago, and am truly in awe of this food. It transformed my goldfish from thin and malnourished to plump, energetic and full of life! As many of you know, I experienced several heartbreaking deaths over the winter, and hadn't even considered that they weren't getting enough and/or the right food until you pointed it out to me, since I always hear talk of overfeeding but NEVER of underfeeding. The ones that survived are now thriving. So ... thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I have noticed that there is always some liquefied Soilent Green at the bottom of the container, and am wondering if that can be fed to fry. My ryukin is showing breeding stars, and I want to give the fry the best chance possible. This will be my second attempt - last year it was a total surprise, so it was a struggle, but I learned a lot.

The only thing I'm worried about now is the food - I wasn't able to hatch brine shrimp consistently, and couldn't grow infusoria at all - it seems my lack of a green thumb extends to this! I fed frozen BBS, but a diet consisting of only frozen food is what caused the problem with my adults in the first place, so is this even healthy?? I'm worried about First Bites causing swim bladder issues. Soilent Green seems very nutritious, but I just want to be sure there aren't any concerns as I've never heard anyone recommend it for fry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm happy to hear your babies are thriving on SG. I'm having issues with feeding my new fry :( so I totally feel you pain :hug

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm going to pay attention so that maybe my babies can be helped too!

Good luck to you!

I have heard of feeding a little spawn and grow powder, but I have not heard of the SG.

Hi Amanda -

The liquefied Solient Green would be good for your fry, the issue is helping them find it to eat it. They are attracted to the food by its moving around, which is why baby brine shrimp are recommended. Mine weren't ready for First Bites until they were over 2 months old, and I still had to crush the pellets.

I would save some of your Solient Green as an alternative fry food and encourage you to try to hatch brine shrimp again if you get fry. Once you "get the hang of it" and come up with a system that works for you, you'll have an inexpensive food supply that will satisfy them for months. I was hatching them by floating a water bottle in the same tank the fry were in, (click link to see photos of my set up) the BBS hatched routinely in about 30-36 hours.

Glad to hear that you haven't given up.

I started my fry on Repashy SG blocks at 1 month and they loved it :)

Mine eat these and algae for the first month lol. Also frozen bbs. Later I switched to micro granules for tropical fish. Idk if all that was good or wrong but he did well.

u4u5ubyj.jpg2unune3y.jpg

Edited by Daniel E.

Hi Amanda -

The liquefied Solient Green would be good for your fry, the issue is helping them find it to eat it. They are attracted to the food by its moving around, which is why baby brine shrimp are recommended. Mine weren't ready for First Bites until they were over 2 months old, and I still had to crush the pellets.

I would save some of your Solient Green as an alternative fry food and encourage you to try to hatch brine shrimp again if you get fry. Once you "get the hang of it" and come up with a system that works for you, you'll have an inexpensive food supply that will satisfy them for months. I was hatching them by floating a water bottle in the same tank the fry were in, (click link to see photos of my set up) the BBS hatched routinely in about 30-36 hours.

Glad to hear that you haven't given up.

That is so interesting that your fry couldn't eat First Bites from the beginning. Mine could eat it from the first day they used up their yolk sac. I observed my fry closely and they definitely did not have any trouble eating the food. They seemed to really enjoy the frozen BBS, but I am now wary of frozen foods because they left my adults starving; it was horrible. My fry also showed very slow growth compared to other people's, and none out of the 15 ended up surviving (although that could also be due to other mistakes).

I am really hoping the cause of my troubles with BBS was due to my neglecting to use dechlorinated water, because I am not mechanically inclined AT ALL and don't think I could troubleshoot setup problems. I bought my hatchery ready-made from my LFS; the diagrams for the ones people set up at home look so complicated! Yours looks fairly straightforward though; I will review the pics and ask you if I have any questions.

Mine also ate first bites off the bat.

I would recommend spawn and grow gel food made by the same company, because it has high protein needed for proper development. Fry seem to love it. Soilent green is also a great choice to get those veggies in... but I think that personally, I would go for protein and then actual seaweed over gel whenever possible.

When youre at work, throwing a cube of gel food in rocks because they can nibble all day and it doesnt foul the water like flakes or eggs would.