Sign in to follow this  
*Amanda*

Fantail, ryukin or veiltail?

23 posts in this topic

One more ... this is my male, Big Poppa. He came from Petsmart's ryukin tank but I know ryukins are supposed to have a hump, and he has none - it is completely smooth from head to dorsal fin. He also has extremely long pectoral and tail fins; other ryukins I've seen have been stouter with shorter fins. So could he be a veiltail or fantail?

a8yqugap.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would say he's a fantail :idont

he looks like a beautiful swallow-tailed fantail to me :D:heart

oranda with a small wen?

Veil tails do not have a forked tail. I'd say fantail too. :)

Gorgeous. :nana

He looks like a fantail to me :)

He may be from ryukin stock.... but he is a fantail.

Stunning Fantail.

Thanks guys! Out of all my fish, I get the most compliments on him. He is my most powerful fish and very hardy, too. He is showing breeding stars right now, so hopefully that means someone in the tank is getting ready to lay eggs! I am looking forward to Attempt No. 2 at raising fry, and will be much better prepared than I was last year.

He looks like a very handsome fantail to me.

My understanding is that all fantails are the Western varient of Ryukins, but goldfish people tend to only call the high-humped-Ryukins "Ryukins" and the Western ones without the high hump "fantails".

I have a personal preference for the no-hump look. Big Poppa is lookin' good!

I thought the ryukin was a special breed developed from the fantail be the Japanese. Not sure where I got that from but I think I read that somewhere.

My understanding is that all fantails are the Western varient of Ryukins, but goldfish people tend to only call the high-humped-Ryukins "Ryukins" and the Western ones without the high hump "fantails".

Me too! I never cared for the big hump on the "true" ryukins, and always thought I was alone in this!

Me too! I never cared for the big hump on the "true" ryukins, and always thought I was alone in this!

That's funny: while I like a little hump, the big humps just aren't my thing. Like you I thought I was alone in this!

I second the hump thing! I don't care for the big hump and deep body it doesn't look right at all

I enjoy a full belly on a fancy, even a deeper belly on a comet or common. It's the hump that's not my thing. That being said some fully developed ryukin have been some of the more spectacular fish I've seen. Just not my cup of tea.

But then a lot of aimed for characteristics are not really my thing. I also prefer when a double tail is joined down the middle for a three pronged look. I guess someone has to love the rejects :)

I think with many of the more extreme traits they are an acquired taste. I know I didn't find many types visually pleasing when I first got into the hobby and now I keep and somewhat breed one of the most extreme varieties. Fantails are lovely, and I think most mature goldfish are very attractive fish regardless of breed. :)

It took me a while to warm upto telescope eyes. Im still not a wan person though lol.

I wish my ryukins would stop their oranda impression lol.

Fantails are still probably a favorite of mine. I like ryukins with moderate hump lol

I enjoy a full belly on a fancy, even a deeper belly on a comet or common. It's the hump that's not my thing. That being said some fully developed ryukin have been some of the more spectacular fish I've seen. Just not my cup of tea.

But then a lot of aimed for characteristics are not really my thing. I also prefer when a double tail is joined down the middle for a three pronged look. I guess someone has to love the rejects :)

Wow! I feel the exact same way about the three-pronged tail fin! I bought a "black" moor (not fully black; he has copper on the stomach and white on the ends of the fins) with that kind of tail and he is seriously one of the prettiest fish I'd ever seen. His fins are very long like Big Poppa's. In fact, he could be a fantail/telescope cross. I had never seen a fish with that defect before then, and I think it's so cool looking!

I think with many of the more extreme traits they are an acquired taste. I know I didn't find many types visually pleasing when I first got into the hobby and now I keep and somewhat breed one of the most extreme varieties. Fantails are lovely, and I think most mature goldfish are very attractive fish regardless of breed. :)

I actually really like the "weird" varieties like the bubble eye and celestial eye. However, the double bubble eyes I just think look sad ... it must be so hard for them to eat!

It took me a while to warm upto telescope eyes. Im still not a wan person though lol.

I wish my ryukins would stop their oranda impression lol.

Fantails are still probably a favorite of mine. I like ryukins with moderate hump lol

I'm still not warmed up to telescope eyes. I do have a moor, but his eyes are only mildly telescoped. Actually most of the eye mutations creep me out a bit. As for wens I always hated them, they reminded me of warts. Then one day I fell in love with a blue oranda at the lfs. I brought him home and Gideon and I lived happily together for several years. I still prefer any wens on my fish to be mild-moderate. Just enough to give them some cheekiness. Ryukins with a moderate hump are nice, but when the hump and the belly wind up about the same size I might be impressed, but I'm no longer on board.

As long as the fish is a good swimmer I'm game :rofl. I wouldn't want to own bubble eyes just because I'm too nervous about them bursting.

He is a fantail, with the longer ribbontail tail fantail. :)