Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

My second chance at raising fry has arrived!

Hodor has laid eggs again!

As some of you know Hodor had babies last month, but it didn't work out so well....all of the fry died at around 2 weeks. :(

I wasn't prepared last time, but I want to make sure I'm ready this time around! Last time I fed the fry only cooked egg yolks, because that is all I had. But I have since ordered some brine shrimp eggs online, so I'll be able to start feeding this batch baby brine shrimp instead. At what time should I start feeding the brine shrimp? Probably around day 3 after they hatch? I've never hatched brine shrimp eggs before, so I'm a little nervous I'll mess it up....I also don't know how much shrimp to feed to the babies. I only have a small vial of the eggs, with the net weight being 6gm. How long will that last me?

Another question. Last time I for the most part kept the fry in the same tank and did daily small water changes. However, after awhile the tank started to get really cloudy really fast. Is cloudiness normal? Some people suggested I use two tanks and transfer the fry every few days or something. Is that a good idea?

I do have a sponge filter, but it needs more than 6 inches of water for it to work. :(

Another possible reason why the fry died last time is flukes. I couldn't find any prazipro at the pet stores near me, and I wasn't able to order it in time. I also had never treated the main tank for flukes. I now have some liquid prazi, and so far I've given the main tank one round of prazi. When is the earliest I can treat the fry with prazi, and at what dose?

Any other advice for keeping this batch alive would be greatly appreciated. :)

You'll want to start feeding them once their egg sacs disappear and around that time they're usually starting to free swim. You could try around day 3 feeding them and watch to see if they eat any. Before when your tank got really cloudy it could have been because of the egg yolk.With the prazi,I've had my fryaround it since the time they hatched people on here recommend starting it around two weeks but if you start it sooner it won't hurt them.

The 6 grams of BBS will last quite a while. Probably at least a few weeks.

I used 2 tanks but I only had one fry. :rofl. I didn't use a filter until he was a couple months old. Just an air stone after about a week.

I first dosed with prazi st one week. Same dose as for the adults.

Good luck!! :nana

I had found fry earlier in the week too and am trying to hatch them now. Make sure to follow the directions for hatching... Like 80*F

Many people put an incandescent desk lamp over the hatchery to make it warmer than room temp :idont

:goodluck