Sign in to follow this  
lldykstra

Spinach loving goldfish

17 posts in this topic

My fantail loves to eat blanched spinach. She grabs it and yanks at it like a dog with a favorite toy. Her tank mate show much more decorum :)

Can I always keep a leaf or two in her tank as this seems like great entertainment for all, or will this be too much food for her?

Her body is about just under 2" and she weighs at least an ounce.

Lol! That's too cute. She's a stunning fish.

I'm assuming she eats that amount slowly over the course of many hours so I would think it would be ok. Plus her tank mate probably has some too.

I think keeping some in all day would make for some great grazing for them. Just make sure to reduce the amount of other foods you are feeding accordingly. Although spinach isn't the ideal grazing food like algae would be, it certainly does a good job keeping fish cleaned out and I have given it as a daily treat before with no visible ill effects. Keep an eye out though to make sure nobody is overeating.

It's funny how crazy fish get over certain veggies. Your spinach-fanatic looks like she is on cloud 9 for sure.

Edited by ChelseaM

OK, thank you!

I would just vary the vegetables. The dark part of romaine lettuce works well, or some blanched kale. They may not eat it immediately if they are only used to spinach, but variety is always great.

The one thing about feeding spinach constantly is that raw spinach is high in oxalic acid which blocks the absorption of calcium. I read contradicting information on how big of a deal it really is, supposedly the oxalic acid breaks down during cooking. So if you cook the spinach well, it probably isn't that big of a deal. Especially if you vary vegetables and feed spinach only once or twice a week, you can balance out any possible effects during the week. Kale for example is very high in calcium.

And you can definitely leave something in all day. I leave vegetables in the tank for up to 48 hours, that's perfectly fine. :)

Try some red leaf lettuce. Just rinse it and stick it on the veggie clip. No blanching required. :D

NomNomNom! Nummers! :druel

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've got a pair of spinach lovers too! Your fish is sooo cute!! :D

I looove the way they take teeny tiny little bites out of the spinach even after so much effort of tearing it apart. My fantail chubby loves spinach too, can't seem to get enough of the stuff. lol

I would just vary the vegetables. The dark part of romaine lettuce works well, or some blanched kale. They may not eat it immediately if they are only used to spinach, but variety is always great.

The one thing about feeding spinach constantly is that raw spinach is high in oxalic acid which blocks the absorption of calcium. I read contradicting information on how big of a deal it really is, supposedly the oxalic acid breaks down during cooking. So if you cook the spinach well, it probably isn't that big of a deal. Especially if you vary vegetables and feed spinach only once or twice a week, you can balance out any possible effects during the week. Kale for example is very high in calcium.

And you can definitely leave something in all day. I leave vegetables in the tank for up to 48 hours, that's perfectly fine. :)

According to the literature, the oxalate in spinach may block the absorption of the calcium IN the spinach, but has little effect on other foods. At worst, it will be that meal that's affected. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Kale is another good option, as is red leaf lettuce.

my vultures love spinach too!.. cute vid :)

I will add to the variety of veggies and enjoy watching them play with there food!

According to the literature, the oxalate in spinach may block the absorption of the calcium IN the spinach, but has little effect on other foods. At worst, it will be that meal that's affected. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :)

Kale is another good option, as is red leaf lettuce.

I see, that is the statement that I found mostly too. Considered spinach is only additional foods in my case, I am not too worried about it either, especially they only get it occasionally :)

Newton like spinach too, although dandelion leaves are his favourite leafy veg.

We will be getting dandelions here soon! I will try them, do you have to blanch them?

We will be getting dandelions here soon! I will try them, do you have to blanch them?

Unless you're in an area with no pesticides, you probably should get them from the grocer. They usually are by the fresh veggies. :)

-on tapatalk-

Good point :) but your yard is pesticide free. Do you think they would need to be blanched or be treated more like red lettuce?