Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
LabRat99

Fry update

122 posts in this topic

Wow! That was really fun to see! Love your converted garage :))

Your fry are ginormous :o

Thanks for the update :thumb:

Wow! They look great! I see some button eyes and full bellies. :teehee

They hatched on Mar. 22nd so they are about three weeks old. The largest ones are the ones that I took out of the tank right after they hatched, they are about the size of a small neon tetra right now.

Your fish room is gorgeous!!!Look out ADG!!!!

LOL! I'm pretty ghetto in my fishkeeping methods, especially compared to them. :) ADG was an awesome place to see though.

They hatched on Mar. 22nd so they are about three weeks old. The largest ones are the ones that I took out of the tank right after they hatched, they are about the size of a small neon tetra right now.

That's awesome!! I can't wait till my fry are that big and actually look like fish lol. My fry are still less than a week old.

Seeing your whole setup was interesting and informational, thank you for sharing that!!

Okay, I did quite a bit of culling this week. Since I don't know what I'm doing I culled based on size first and then the tail. I kept more double tails than singles. Right now I'm down to 200 - 250 left. As much as I hate it, I'm gonna have to cull a bunch more before it's all said and done.

They are looking like little goldfish now and I think that is so cool. There are way more nacreous than metallic, and significantly more single tails than double. I saw some that have perfect looking heart shaped shubunkin tails so I think my first guess is probably right - Chub the shub is the Dad. He's gonna owe a lot of child support!

I'll try to post some more pics tomorrow.

Here are some pics from yesterday.

item.JPG?rot=1

This is Mom - I've never given her a name.

item.JPG?rot=1

The one in the center of the frame is Dad. His name is Chub.

item.JPG?rot=1

This is the top fry tank. You can see that some are metallic and some are nacreous.

item.JPG?rot=1

This is the bottom fry tank. Same deal, mix of metallics and nacreous.

item.JPG?rot=1

Top tank again, trying to get in a little closer on them.

I've culled a lot of fish this week, enough so that this morning I was able to take one set of tubs out of service. I've still got way too many though! I want to get down to just two groups in the two 30 gal tanks as soon as I can.

Sooooooo cute!

Mom and Dad are beautiful! I'm very interested to see how the babies turn out.

You give me that oranda, RIGHT NAO! :rofl

Okay, for better or worse I'm down to the two thirty gallon fry tanks plus about 35 small double-tails in a 5 gallon tank. I've got another problem now.I knew at some point that the bigger fish would stop eating the fry and see them as tank mates instead of food. It looks like that has happened. Most, if not all of the fish I culled yesterday are still in the tank with the big fish. That means that from here on out, I've got to sell, give away, or euthanize all the culls.

I made a couple of short videos of the fry tanks this morning, I'll try to post them up later.

This is the top tank...

And this is the one down below...

They look great! Although I do not envy you having to cull them. I guess I got pretty lucky just having one fertilized egg and the sole fry surviving. :teehee

The parents are gorgeous! Is the dad a single tail?

You have done so well with them. :clapping:

They look great! Although I do not envy you having to cull them. I guess I got pretty lucky just having one fertilized egg and the sole fry surviving. :teehee

The parents are gorgeous! Is the dad a single tail?

You have done so well with them. :clapping:

Thanks. It's definitely been a "learn as you go" experience for me but I've learned a lot. Dad is a shubunkin, so all the babies are mutts but I'm okay with that.

I read the thread about Waldo, I was so impressed that you were able to raise a single fry!

The fry are one month old today! I just got in from feeding/checking them, everything is going well. I am running out of brine shrimp eggs though. I've got another 60 grams ordered from Amazon, but they won't be here until Thursday. I'll probably run by the LFS tomorrow and pick up one of the little 6 gram tubes to tide me over. I've learned a ton over the last month and I'd like to share but right now I've gotta go get ready for work.

I am so impressed!! I love watching the videos of the fry. Thank you for all the pictures. I'll say it again: I'm so impressed!

I am so impressed!! I love watching the videos of the fry. Thank you for all the pictures. I'll say it again: I'm so impressed!

Thank you so much!

I've been reading a little bit about scale types because I'm trying to figure out which fish I want to keep. The problem is, what I'm seeing doesn't match what I've been reading as far as the makeup of scale types in the spawn. I found a little chart that had a matrix of the various scale type crosses and my fish don't match any of the results in the chart. It looks to me like the ones I thought were nacreous are actually mattes. I think so because they all have black button eyes. I haven't seen a single matte fish in the spawn with normal eyes. I think if they were calico, they would have normal eyes. So what it looks like I have is 50% mattes and 50% metallics. Interesting tidbit I've learned - if you cross a matte with a metallic fish, you get 100% calico offspring.

The fish are still doing fine; I'm feeding them brine shrimp twice a day and ground up Hikari pellets for snacks.They are growing fast so I won't be able to keep so many for much longer.

Glad to hear your fish are doing well.

Not much to report on, which I guess means things are going well. On the good news front, my stepfather in-law has two ponds on his property and I might be able to release my culls in one or both of them. The babies are growing well, getting cuter every day.

When do we get more pics? :teehee

this ^

:D

this ^

:D

We had our ten month old granddaughter for the weekend while her parents went on a trip. She's a fun and happy little baby, but it took BOTH me and my wife to keep up with her! So, basically all I did for the fish this weekend were feed them. I did change the water in one of the fry tanks yesterday but that was all I did maintenance wise. I do have a few pics still in my camera that I took of them on the day they were a month old. I haven't looked at them yet but if any of those turned out okay, I'll post a few up.

And now we need pics of the granddaughter too! :tomuch: