LabRat99

Fry update

122 posts in this topic

Here's where I'm at trying to raise fry for the first time...

item.JPG?rot=1

This is my fry setup. Two tubs with fry and two with fresh water to transfer the fry each day. I've also got two brine shrimp hatcheries set up with batches spaced 12 hours apart.

item.JPG?rot=1

This tub has 100+ fry in it. These are smaller than the other group.

item.JPG?rot=1

This tub has another 100+ fry in it. I took these from the tank they all were hatched in right after they hatched. I started them out on egg yolk and for the first few days the ones that I had left in the tank were much more active. It wasn't until a few days ago that I noticed these were getting noticeably larger than the ones in the tank. At that point I took another hundred or so out of the tank and started a second group in tubs.

My reasoning is that if I screw something up, I may still have a second batch as a backup.

Your set up looks great!! And, your fish room is AMAZING!!!

Holy cow! That's one organized set up :nana

:Congrats: I just found tons of free swimming fry today myself and I'm :krazy: I'm not nearly so organized :o

That room is amazing :heart

Your set up looks great!! And, your fish room is AMAZING!!!

Holy cow! That's one organized set up :nana

:Congrats: I just found tons of free swimming fry today myself and I'm :krazy: I'm not nearly so organized :o

That room is amazing :heart

The fish room is actually half of our detached garage. Funny, but I don't think my wife would agree with you guys about it being amazing. :D

Wow! That is great, and I think you will many wonderful fry!

Wow, impressive set up. You seem all organized for your little guys. I'm sure they'll reap the rewards!

Thanks guys. My goal all along has been to raise one fry to adulthood. I'm not sure just at what point you are "out of the woods" with fry and it becomes a matter of just raising them like normal but so far there has been no disaster.

Out of the two bunches, I'm starting to see double tails on quite a few of the larger fry. I see a few on the smaller group but they are mostly single tails. I don't know if there is a chance double tails will develop on more of the smaller ones or not.

I know the background of the pic is dark but in the far left of the first pic there is a 30g long tank. You can't see it but there is another just like it on the shelf underneath. I think I'm going to repurpose those two tanks for raising the fry. I'm gonna order sponge filters today, take the gravel out of both tanks and store it and then set them both up bare-bottom with sponge filtration. That should make them easier to keep clean while I'm feeding them brine shrimp and other sinking food.

Nice setup! Can't wait to see more pics! :)

Wow! Everything is so neat, and nice to see! :)

So my fry are nine days old today, things seem to be going well so far. The only things I'm concerned about are whether they are growing fast enough and/or am I keeping too many. Can anybody give me an idea about how big they should be by now? I can probably post some pics by Wednesday for an update.

I am very impressed with your setup. I raised my telescope/fantail cross fry in a cycled 20 gallon tank last year (with the water lowered to 6 in) and it did not go well. The fry kept disappearing/dying. Out of the 15 or so eggs I was able to catch, two made it past 3 weeks and then one died. The one that had the single-tail deformity (I keep fancies) survived for 2 months, until stupid me killed him by forgetting to cover the HOB filter I added. :-(

I think it is so smart that you are raising the fry in separate tubs like that. I am sure it does increase the odds of survival. May I ask how big the tubs are? I am considering setting up something like this (eggs are due soon, from what I see), but am worried about space. You have a LOT of fry too - are you going to move them to the 30 gallon when they get bigger?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

I am very impressed with your setup. I raised my telescope/fantail cross fry in a cycled 20 gallon tank last year (with the water lowered to 6 in) and it did not go well. The fry kept disappearing/dying. Out of the 15 or so eggs I was able to catch, two made it past 3 weeks and then one died. The one that had the single-tail deformity (I keep fancies) survived for 2 months, until stupid me killed him by forgetting to cover the HOB filter I added. :-(

I think it is so smart that you are raising the fry in separate tubs like that. I am sure it does increase the odds of survival. May I ask how big the tubs are? I am considering setting up something like this (eggs are due soon, from what I see), but am worried about space. You have a LOT of fry too - are you going to move them to the 30 gallon when they get bigger?

Thanks. I'm learning as I go on this deal. I probably had over a thousand fry hatch. I've got a little over a hundred in each of the two tubs, there's probably a hundred in the 5 gallon tank that has the lucky bamboo in it and there are 50 to 100 left in the 55 gallon tank that they hatched in. The rest are in another tub and I'm gradually feeding them to the big fish. It's not my favorite thing in the world to do, but that's what would happen to most of them if they were born in the wild.

The tubs are dishpans that I bought at the local Wal-Mart. I'll check the size on the label and post it tomorrow.

That is so cool! I can't wait for pics! :nana

Okay, I just got in from the garage. The tubs are 12qt Sterilite brand from Wal-Mart. It turned cool last night and dropped into the mid 40's so I was a little concerned because the fry are (mostly) in small containers. But all seemed well when I checked on them. Babies all got fresh water and food, and the big fish all got fed too. I need to clean the big tanks but it looks like today is going to be "figure the income tax" day at chez LabRat.

I did take a few pics of the fry this morning, if I get time to look at them later I might post a few up.

Okay, I just got in from the garage. The tubs are 12qt Sterilite brand from Wal-Mart. It turned cool last night and dropped into the mid 40's so I was a little concerned because the fry are (mostly) in small containers. But all seemed well when I checked on them. Babies all got fresh water and food, and the big fish all got fed too. I need to clean the big tanks but it looks like today is going to be "figure the income tax" day at chez LabRat.

I did take a few pics of the fry this morning, if I get time to look at them later I might post a few up.

You are lucky you were able to get Sterilite tubs that weren't cracked! I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I bought a bunch and every single one had hairline cracks. I didn't find out until I put water in and it flooded the floor. Maybe I should try a different store next time.

The recommendations I've seen for fry have been for 75F, and that they can be kept at cooler temps but they might not grow as quickly. Does anyone know if a heater can be put in a plastic tub? It seems to me that it would melt the plastic, but maybe the water acts as a buffer or there is something that can be put around the heater to protect the plastic?

Things are still going well with the fry. I'm settling into a routine now. I move both sets of fry to fresh water and feed them each morning. After feeding them, I dump the brine shrimp hatchery that I used and restart it. I have cut down on the amount of brine shrimp I'm hatching in each batch. I was using half a teaspoon of eggs for each batch but I found that there were a good number left over that I was throwing away. Now I'm putting in about a third of a teaspoon of eggs and that seems to be just about the right amount.

I feed them again each evening when I get home from work. They are growing and seem to be doing okay. I've got one of the 30 gallon tanks cleaned up and ready to go when the sponge filters get here. I'm going to wait to take the other one down until the sponges get here so that I can rinse them real well in cycled tank water before putting them in service.

The sponge filters came today. While I was doing some tank cleaning and water changing this morning I decided to fill the 30 gal tank that I had set aside for one of the fry tanks. I filled it, added dechlor and decided I'd let it sit like that until the sponge filters got here. After I finished, I was leaving the house to run an errand and guess what - box on front doorstep containing sponge filters!

So, long story short - this afternoon I got one of the 30's set up as a fry tank. I'll probably do the other one tomorrow and then move a few fry over there to see how they do. If they do all right for a few days, I'll move the rest. I've got roughly 300 fry left, so at some point I'm gonna have to start culling them.

I'll try to post pics of the temp fry tanks set up tomorrow.

Okay, I spent the morning tearing down and removing the gravel from the other 30 gal tank and re-configuring it with sponge filters for the fry. I had left the sponges soaking in the tank overnight hoping to get some bacteria seeded in them. I also saved a couple of gallons of the tank water to reuse when I filled the tank back up with the same goal in mind. I took a bunch of pictures so I can post a few later maybe. Now I've got two 30 gal long tanks available to raise the fry in.

Once I had everything set up, I moved a net full of "hardy pioneer fry" over to each tank. If they do okay over the next few days, I'll gradually start adding more fry to the tanks. Hopefully, by next weekend I'll be out of the "moving fry back and forth between tubs" business!

:clapping:

Pics, pics, pics! :nana

. At that point I took another hundred or so out of the tank and started a second group in tubs.

My reasoning is that if I screw something up, I may still have a second batch as a backup.

I often do the same thing , split the spawn into several groups as sometimes things go all wrong and the entire tank has to be thrown out.

Here's what I did yesterday.

item.JPG?rot=1This is what I started with. The water is a little low because I had already taken a couple of gallons out to add to the other 30 gal down below. I've got the two sponge filter elements floating in the tank.

item.JPG?rot=1

This is the other 30 gal tank. I had set it up the day before. I had removed the gravel a week or so before so setup for this one basically was stick the sponges in and add water.

item.JPG?rot=1

Here's a shot of the tank draining. Notice the central drain - that's one of the best fishkeeping moves I ever made. That gray bucket has two gallons of water from the tank that I saved to put back in with the fresh water.

item.JPG?rot=1

Here's a tip - pet food scoops are great tools for removing gravel. I usually don't like to take gravel out wet, but in this case I wanted to get the job done in a hurry.

item.JPG?rot=1

Here it is after getting almost all of the gravel out. I know there aren't many fans of undergravel filters on here but they've served me well over the years. That's a Penn-Plax Undertow which isn't made anymore but Lee's makes a similar design. The nice thing about this design is the ridged plate - much stronger than the flat grid style plates on cheaper UGF's.

item.JPG?rot=1

Here I've got the UGF plate out and stuck a short piece of 2x4 under one end to move the water that I couldn't siphon all to one end. I bailed as much as I could get with a cup then soaked up the last little bit with paper towels. Then I partially filled it twice and siphoned as much remaining sand and muck as I could. Finally, I repeated the bailing and paper towel process and then called it clean.

item.JPG?rot=1

Here it is filling back up with fresh water. Keeping fish in the garage is handy in that when I need water, I just drag a garden hose in and go to it! I try to be neat, but if a little spills on that floor who cares?

item.JPG?rot=1

Here it is filled and sponge-filtered with a handful of fry in there to test the water so to speak.

item.JPG?rot=1

A closeup of a couple of the fry in their new home. I've already added one net full of the bigger fry also, so there's probably roughly 30 fry in each tank now. I'm gonna leave it like that for a few days and see how they do. If all goes well, this weekend or early next week I'll move all the fry into these two tanks.

Next project is to make a little siphon to remove brine shrimp and baby fish poop from the tank bottom.

Your fish room is gorgeous!!!Look out ADG!!!!

Edited by Heidi030

Here are some fry pics that I took this afternoon.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

The side views are some that are in the new fry tanks and the top views are some that are still in tubs.

They're so sweet!

Here are some fry pics that I took this afternoon.

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

The side views are some that are in the new fry tanks and the top views are some that are still in tubs.

SO CUTE!

How old are they?