Flipper

Holy Jelly Beans! FRY!

No one ever said being a grandma was easy. :hug

:teehee

:rofl

I'll feel bad if I kill a whole batch of bbs :(

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I don't know if that will heat them enough. :idont

I had my hatchery on the counter with my light on a bin shining down into the water. :o

No one ever said being a grandma was easy. :hug

:teehee

I'll feel bad if I kill a whole batch of bbs :(

I dont know if you killed them. They probably just aren't warm enough to hatch.

Where's Erin? :whistle

:tantrum:madrant:tantrum

Aubrey, here is Erin's hatchery . . .

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115404-nemo-and-nola-have-babies/?p=1662296

I noticed the first batch I tried worked well. I had used my undercabinet lighting so the light was coming from above. I didnt like using those and leaving them on all the time as they get too hot. So I got the desk lamp and had it shining on it more like yours and hte second batch wasn't very successful. That's when I raised it up and htat worked better. I think you're gonna need to get the temp to at least 70, mid 70s would be better. They will hatch faster and more of them will hatch. :D

Or you could get the smallest heater you can find and see how warm that makes it. :idont

Aubrey, here is Erin's hatchery . . .

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115404-nemo-and-nola-have-babies/?p=1662296

I noticed the first batch I tried worked well. I had used my undercabinet lighting so the light was coming from above. I didnt like using those and leaving them on all the time as they get too hot. So I got the desk lamp and had it shining on it more like yours and hte second batch wasn't very successful. That's when I raised it up and htat worked better. I think you're gonna need to get the temp to at least 70, mid 70s would be better. They will hatch faster and more of them will hatch. :D

Or you could get the smallest heater you can find and see how warm that makes it. :idont

Humph! :( ok thanks for the advise

I should probably ditch this batch of bbs, right?

It doesn't hurt to leave them there with the light on and see if any hatch overnight. :idont

What do your directions say as far as temp?

It doesn't hurt to leave them there with the light on and see if any hatch overnight. :idont

I seemed to not have absorbed the temp part well :hide:

It says 80-82 :( I probably need a :wa

Congratulations, Aubrey! How very exciting. :D

I'm probably going to sound really stupid but what are BBS?? I feel I should know! :blush:

Beneficial bacterias? But then what are you hatching in all you little contraptions?!

:crazy:

BBS = baby brine shrimp.

The brown stuff floating are shells and the orange stuff at the bottom are the BBS, so at least some hatched. I bought a cheapo desk lamp at Target for $10, that will help a lot. Just make sure you use an incandescent light, you're after the heat as much as the light.

First batch was :thumbdown

But this light seems really warm underneath it to me.

I'm going to give them some finely ground flake before work. I'm desperate :(

I'm probably going to sound really stupid but what are BBS?? I feel I should know! :blush:

Beneficial bacterias? But then what are you hatching in all you little contraptions?!

:crazy:

BBS = baby brine shrimp.

The brown stuff floating are shells and the orange stuff at the bottom are the BBS, so at least some hatched. I bought a cheapo desk lamp at Target for $10, that will help a lot. Just make sure you use an incandescent light, you're after the heat as much as the light.

Yes, Charlie! What he said.

I do have a incandescent light on them but I was about 24 hrs late to put it on :(

Thanks for the suggestion I need lots of help! ;)

Crush up whatever food you're going to feed into a fine powder. :)

You could check around and see if anyone carries Hikari First Bites.

Congratulations and good luck Aubrey!!! :)

Aub- When I made my hatchery, it was modeled off of Solid Gold's hatchery video. I may be wrong, but I believe on there she says that they need the light to hatch. I'm not sure if she meant only the temperature or the light source also. So, adding the light is really a great idea. As for the temp, I always had mine at room temperature. I would fill the hatchery with warm water from the tap (not hot b/c I killed a whole batch right from the start with hot water)..so just lukewarm water…I added 1 tbsp of canning/pickling salt…a pinch of baking soda to stabilize the pH (not sure if that's necessary) and then added about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of eggs. With the temp at 66* it could take more like 36 hrs to hatch them. Or, you could have a bad batch of eggs, I guess. :idont Lisa and I both experienced good and bad batches within the same vial of eggs. It was always a little hit or miss. PM me if you need anything. Hope this helps!

I actually kept 2 hatcheries going at all times. :rofl. Most often they would hatch in about 24 hours but sometimes it did take longer. I really think the temp being a bit warmer helps. :)

Crush up whatever food you're going to feed into a fine powder. :)

You could check around and see if anyone carries Hikari First Bites.

I did ask my lfs for these when I bought the bbs, but they didn't carry them :( I'll call other fish joint in the area to see if they have them.

This am before work, I ground up flake food into powder and dumped a bunch in. It was still kinda dark out so I'm unsure if they ate it.

I actually kept 2 hatcheries going at all times. :rofl. Most often they would hatch in about 24 hours but sometimes it did take longer. I really think the temp being a bit warmer helps. :)

I can't keep two going. Mike is barely holding it together with one :yikes

But I wish I could Lisa :hug you're an inspiration :)

I got my First Bites at Petsmart. :idont

Aub- When I made my hatchery, it was modeled off of Solid Gold's hatchery video. I may be wrong, but I believe on there she says that they need the light to hatch. I'm not sure if she meant only the temperature or the light source also. So, adding the light is really a great idea. As for the temp, I always had mine at room temperature. I would fill the hatchery with warm water from the tap (not hot b/c I killed a whole batch right from the start with hot water)..so just lukewarm water…I added 1 tbsp of canning/pickling salt…a pinch of baking soda to stabilize the pH (not sure if that's necessary) and then added about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of eggs. With the temp at 66* it could take more like 36 hrs to hatch them. Or, you could have a bad batch of eggs, I guess. :idont Lisa and I both experienced good and bad batches within the same vial of eggs. It was always a little hit or miss. PM me if you need anything. Hope this helps!

Uh oh. I'm following directions on packaging.... Says 2 tablespoon salt and one teaspoon eggs :o I wonder if that's why I'm failing :(

Thanks for this. The feed back helps :hug

I got my First Bites at Petsmart. :idont

Well that would be too easy :nana

PS. Are you Kokoing and driving :o

:tantrum I ran all over creation! No first bites :(:krazy:

I ended up getting frozen rotifers at a saltwater shop. I just fed them and they seem oily. They seem to stay on top of water to :idont

Uh oh. I'm following directions on packaging.... Says 2 tablespoon salt and one teaspoon eggs :o I wonder if that's why I'm failing :(

Thanks for this. The feed back helps :hug

Yes, the package said differently, but I just followed the Jennie's video. Are the eggs SF Bay brand?

You'll want to follow the package directions as far as the amount of salt to add so the water is the right salinity. You can add less eggs.

I think Erin had said she used about half the water it said to on the package. That's why she used less salt. I think I used 1 liter of water and 2 tablespoons aquarium salt. And then I typically used 1/4 tsp of eggs.

Look at me sharing recipes. :rofl

I'm also not using aquarium salt. Using Morton C/P salt put light on the tablespoons :wall

However, the fries :rofl all seemed to come to the surface for the rotifers about 10 min after I put them in :) I hope they ate some foods :idont

Then use 1.5 tbsp. :)

:k055: