Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jenn Ivimey

Repashy Soilent Green VS Super Green

Alright. So I was hoping I could get some opinions on some food I plan on ordering. I currently have Omega One sinking pellets which I realize now isn't the best. I love the Repashy foods (used to have cresties), and am not sure whether to buy the Super Green or Soilent Green gel mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am not opposed to buying both, but wasn't sure if that would be redundant. I was also going to buy some ProGold. Is that also a good idea, or are the gel foods enough? Thanks in advance!

i mix in equal thirds, Solient Green, Super Green and Meat Pie. i add a clove of garlic and a capsule of pro biotics and we're done.. fish are happy.

i did notice this, although they did like the solient green, they were not super excited about it.. and this is why i now mix it for them :)

Is there a specific brand of probiotic you use? If I added that to my mix, would I need to bother with ProGold?

i am not one to try different foods for my fish. i use the Repashy and the NLS sinking pellets. recently (because i eat a lot of steamed vegetables) i have had them on that for a few weeks. so, i am not sure how to advise you on the progold.

the probiotics i add is:

original_CW.jpg

it is also dairy free and does not need to be refrigerated :)

I really enjoy the ProGold and have seen awesome growth on it. Some people have problems with it, though, so it all depends on how your fish do on it.

I think doing both Repashy and ProGold as a diet mix would be really good, especially if you added frozen bloodworms to that list. Soilent Green isn't really a good enough staple diet by itself, from what I have been gathering, so coupling it with other things is important.

I use it all. Variety is the spice go life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feed soilent green as a staple for my fish. Since I have some meat pie left over, I've mixed it in with the soilent green for the next few weeks feeding. I also really like hikari lionhead which I feed on occasions when I can get it in-store :) I usually don't mix foods up that much since I am happy with my current food, so I personally find it unecessary. Plus, gel foods are really easy to manipulate in regards to how you feed them, so it's an easy food to use for enrichment purposes as well.

I'll have to disagree that it's not fine as a staple diet, after having excellent results on the food for a while now. Variety is definitely the way to go if you can, but it's not essential if your staple food is nutritionally viable and taken to well.

Edited by Narny105

Solely from my personal experience:

First off I'd like to note that the Omega One sinking pellets are actually some of the higher quality pellets if you compare the ingredients list. Unlike some of the so called "better" and more expensive brands, Omega One is made up "mostly" of ingredients that fish would naturally eat. Varieties of whole fish are the first three ingredients, while many other brands start out with wheat or corn.

As I have yet to see a fish jump out of a lake and waltz into a cornfield for lunch, I consider those products "lower quality" and "unnatural".

Omega One is also the only brand on which only my most sensitive fish will float if he eats too much. Any other brand I tried so far - from cheap to expensive - began to cause floating even in fish that normally don't float, if fed over a prolonged period of time.

Omega One is being fed to my fish for five years now and I am still happy with it.

However, Repashy definitely is the better choice.

Personally I think that Super Green is the most natural mix for goldfish, as most of their natural diet is made up of algae or other plant matter. Especially when you feed the fish frozen blood worms or other frozen/fresh meats in addition to the gel food, I believe Super Green is the best choice.

Soilent Green is based more on animal protein, kind of like the OO pellets are made of. So this is a great food as well, but considering the same price for Soilent Green and Super Green, I prefer to go with the vegan variety and feed meats in addition.

Meat Pie, I find this to be too high in animal protein to be the staple food for herbivorous fish such as goldfish. It won't hurt to feed it in addition, unless you have fish that are more sensitive. I only feed it because I have a sample pack that I mix in to the Super Green at 3:1, just to not let it go to waste. I will not get any more of it though, since there is no need.

Hope this helps! :)

Personally I think that Super Green is the most natural mix for goldfish, as most of their natural diet is made up of algae or other plant matter. Especially when you feed the fish frozen blood worms or other frozen/fresh meats in addition to the gel food, I believe Super Green is the best choice.

Soilent Green is based more on animal protein, kind of like the OO pellets are made of. So this is a great food as well, but considering the same price for Soilent Green and Super Green, I prefer to go with the vegan variety and feed meats in addition

I guess my confusion is protein. Bloodworms are a no for me (huge allergy... tried it before with bettas). So if I weren't to supplement, would I be fine with the soilent green? Or maybe alternate days between my OO and super green?

I also keep hearing about koi clay...should I add that into my Repashy along with probiotics? Thank you all so much for your input...keep it coming!

Soilent green has 45% protein which is what you want to look for in a food in terms of protein content (you also want to examine the quality of the protein)

The super green is 35% protein, which is a bit lower.

I feed both soilent green and super green , I also feed new life spectrum. I worry about protein content a bit more with young fish (under 2-3yrs) because of the amount of growth and tissue building that is going on. So if you have younger fish I'd suggest going with the soilent green or using the super green along with a quality pellet if blood worms are out of the question just to supplement the protein content a bit. If your fish are older I wouldn't worry about using super green without supplementation of another protein source.

A lot of people were using koi clay awhile back. I still have some but haven't used it for quite awhile. It can be added to the water to increase clarity, there was also some use of it in food with the hope that it might help with fish who are prone to floatiness. I don't think it is a necessity.

I also have to agree with fang that omega one is generally a good food. :) it's often recommended here. Pro gold, new life spectrum, and hikari are also good choices for pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilent Green is based more on animal protein, kind of like the OO pellets are made of. So this is a great food as well, but considering the same price for Soilent Green and Super Green, I prefer to go with the vegan variety and feed meats in addition

I guess my confusion is protein. Bloodworms are a no for me (huge allergy... tried it before with bettas). So if I weren't to supplement, would I be fine with the soilent green? Or maybe alternate days between my OO and super green?

Alternating between Super Green and OO is a great way to go, if your fish do well on these foods! That is what I do for the most part, and then feed blanched vegetables and blood worms in addition.

Or you could also feed other meats in addition like chopped, cooked shrimp or fish. There also are other frozen foods such as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp etc, if you aren't allergic to those. :)

Only ever had a reaction to frozen blood worms. I ordered both soilent and super green along with meat pie (for my betta to try out). I don't have any goldies yet, so I'm not sure what I will end up getting as far as age and possible floatiness are concerned. Crossing my fingers that dandyorandas has another sale next week with some pearlscales! Thank you all so much for your help. This is a great forum, very happy I joined. And Tithra, I'm in your neck of the woods! I was in Burlington on Friday, and checked out Pet Advantage, they have beautiful fish! Is that where you got your two gorgeous guys? I think when I am cycled and ready, I will get some fish there... closest (nice place) with fish near me.

I didn't even notice you are nearby! I'm actually located in burlington :)

Mine did not come from pet advantage, although that is the only decent place to buy goldfish in the area (please do take your time and observe the health of the fish you are considering and those around it before you buy though, I have seen multiple tanks full of goldfish with dropsy there in the past, but it's certainly better than the nearby petco whose fish always have ich) They do usually have a nice selection of different types and sizes of goldfish, I've definitely been tempted by some cute fish I've seen there before.

My two came from rain garden goldfish online :)

The "Soilent Green not really good as a staple alone" thing is something I have heard from Alex regarding his recent research. I could've confused it with Super, but I don't think I did.

I agree with everyone that variety is the spice of life, though. I've found that my fish do enjoy feeding time a bit more when I give something different every day along with their staple.

Also, goldfish are not herbivores. They actually need quite a bit of animal protein in their diets, though the amount will decrease with age.

Edited by ChelseaM

When I came here for advice regarding my malnourished fish (they had been fed frozen Spirulina/Brine shrimp as a staple diet, which I was later told goes right through them), Alex advised that I use Soilent Green as a staple diet. I needed a basic, everyday food because the fish live at my boyfriend's apartment and he would never blanch veggies or anything like that. The Soilent Green is perfect because I prepare it when I go there on the weekends, and he can just throw pieces of it in the tank during the week. Since I started my fish on this food they are lively, about to breed and have gained a lot of weight. I can't say enough good things about it and am convinced it has saved the lives of some of my fish who were very thin and on the verge of starvation. But if it is not enough by itself, I also have pellets, although they do make some of my fish floaty so I am uneasy about that.

I just want to give my fish the best diet possible, while being realistic about what Mario will and won't do when I'm not there. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think doing both Repashy and ProGold as a diet mix would be really good, especially if you added frozen bloodworms to that list. ...

A mix of  gel-Repashy, ProGold and frozen bloodworms is what I feed my pond crew. Totally agree!

I think doing both Repashy and ProGold as a diet mix would be really good, especially if you added frozen bloodworms to that list. ...

A mix of  gel-Repashy, ProGold and frozen bloodworms is what I feed my pond crew. Totally agree!

(btw, this was last posted in in 2014)

I didn't realize that...but good goldfish food information never seems to get old.

I use repashy Soilent, super grn, comm plus, & grub pie.

My golden love grub pie. They are not so fussy for super grn so I mix it with grub pie and they love it.

Interesting!  So, it seems that the main difference is that Soilent has more protein than Super.  So if we're using it as a staple (especially for young fish) the Soilent is the way to go.  But if it's a supplemental food, maybe Super is the way to go?

I just have to say that I don't see any negative in bringing back old posts (I've been semi-scolded before here too) especially if the material is good. As long as the poster isn't expecting an immediate health response or something it can be fun to see old threads rehashed and gives continuity. Never know what you've missed especially if you're relatively new to the place.

I just have to say that I don't see any negative in bringing back old posts (I've been semi-scolded before here too) especially if the material is good. As long as the poster isn't expecting an immediate health response or something it can be fun to see old threads rehashed and gives continuity. Never know what you've missed especially if you're relatively new to the place.

I am just going by forum guidelines. :)