Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Canister SIZE Recommendations for a 60 gallon

I need to start researching canister filters seriously now that we have a 60 gallon waiting for fish to come out of qt. :) I'd like to compare a couple different ones at the same power level, I'm thinking probably Fluval vs Eheim - I'm just not sure which models will be the right size, comparable, etc.

We have an AquaClear 110 HOB that will be used at the same time as whatever canister I get. But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the GPH for it since it's 167-500. That seems like a huge range, so I'm having trouble knowing what size canister it will take to fulfill the 10x rule.

Right now, this tank will be home to three fish - one fantail, one moor, and one oranda. I want to err on the side of over-filtering though, because side question - would it be absolutely unthinkable to have 4 fish in a 60 gallon if someone else amazing swims along later, or could we get away with it?

I might have follow up questions, but this is a starting point at least. :)

I LOVE my Eheim 2217. Got it used and it has worked like a champ. Dead quiet, holds a ton of media, and keeps going. I plan to get a second one soon, I love it so much!

I'm not the one that is full of information about canisters but I have to chime in about the stocking. It is not absolutely unthinkable to have 4 in a 60 as it would be 15 gallons per fish. However, I really what to say that being stocked at 15 gallons per fish is a lot of work. I currently have 7 in a 110 gallon and I cannot skip or be late on a WC. Some weeks this can mean doing a very late night WC. I should also point out that I have a ton of Pathos plants helping me keep my nitrates down. I don't even want to know what the levels could get to without those plants :scared It should also be noted that most of mine are either only 1 year old or less then 1 year old. I have 2 adults and one girl that is almost there. So everyone is still small meaning as they grow up the amount of work might increase along with them.

So, when you think a new guy is swimming into your heart just make sure you keep this in mind. They might end up all growing out of the 60 and then you'll be faced with upgrading or rehoming :undecided:

I have a fluval FX5 (It's huge!) on my tank and love it! I've never tried a Eheim filter :)

Thank you both - what size tanks do each of you have?

I used to have an aquaclear on my 29gallon and had constant struggle with diseases. Once all my fish died, I tore down the tank and did a total restart. I no longer use the Aquaclear and use a Fluval Canister since December of 2012. I have now had a 100% sucess rate, no fish death or disease. I just recently bought a 75gallon and once again, bought a Fluval canister. I am very happy with it. (I also would like to Thank my Python water changer and the maltitude of Java Fern haha).

Thank you both - what size tanks do each of you have?

Sorry Mernany, I see you said 110. :)

Interesting brittie, thank you

Ok, having set up the 60 gallon tank this weekend and reading the 110 manual, I understand better now why the gph is a range, it all depends on what flow rate you set. :) So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is - for comparing canisters size-wise to run along with the AquaClear 110, would I be comparing say:

Eheim 2217 vs Fluval (model ?)

or

Eheim 2227 vs Fluval (model ?)

Not sure if my question is making sense. :lol3

I have just ordered this canister!! from eBay!! £60 I already have 2 they must have a US version. great filters I would recommend them!!! http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/iDyGRdP7Y9Y/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fingers

I have a fluval 405 (on a 72g), a fluval 406(40g) and one like the one Mr fingers has just bought! (Also on the 72g)(I also have 2 fx5s but they are for my new tank and so are not in use yet). I cannot fault the fluvals, they're brilliant. I've had absolutely no issues with them, and maintenance is a breeze :)

I couldn't comment on eheims because I've never had one, though I hear they're good :)

Edited by Lis.

Here I am waving the Eheim flag! :) I have two Eheim canisters on my 240 litre (60 gallon) Love them!

Well bummer. I just pulled up a couple random canisters and it looks like they're about 16-17" tall - I only have 14" of clearance in my cabinet. :( I don't want it over to the side outside the cabinet, so I guess no canister for me! Thanks for all your suggestions anyway everyone!

I'm another in support of Eheim. :)

I ended up choosing an Eheim 2215 for my plant in progress tank. It was cheaper than anything by Fluval here, but I would have been happy with either, I think.