Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greenorchid

Laying Eggs again ...... What do I do?

Parameters:

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite (may have a very small trace... it's not purple but it's not it's regular true blue)

Nitrate 40 or more!!..... is this normal after laying eggs?

I guess I'll start another WC now - I just did one last night....

24 hours after a fish lays a batch of eggs it is important to do a huge water change and siphon really well. This is because of the combination of eggs and milt in the water, which if left to rot will foul the water. Since you are seeing a lot of eggs from two females and probably a lot of milt from your guy, I would do as big of a water change as you can as soon as you see your Oranda finish laying.

The butt is red from all the nuzzling and egg laying.

This is normal. She is hungry from egg laying and being chased. Also normal. Feed them lots of protein food and keep the water clean, just a few extra changes to get rid of the eggy or milty water.

This may go on every few weeks for months BTW, now that its spring time. Females having eggs causes the males to ramp up hormones and produce their milt. When females are out of eggs they will stop being chased.

Who told you to have a male-only tank? I think a good mix of males and females provides a healthy environment by allowing natural behavior. I think that unless you're breeding to sell fry, there is zero necessity to separate males from females provided you don't have a single female in a tank full of men. It really doesn't seem logical to me... especially when at least half of us here have mixed-gender tanks and are doing very well.

-on tapatalk-

The only scenario I would avoid is one female in a tank with several males as they may tire and possibly injure her.

Who told you to have a male-only tank? I think a good mix of males and females provides a healthy environment by allowing natural behavior. I think that unless you're breeding to sell fry, there is zero necessity to separate males from females provided you don't have a single female in a tank full of men. It really doesn't seem logical to me... especially when at least half of us here have mixed-gender tanks and are doing very well.

-on tapatalk-

The only scenario I would avoid is one female in a tank with several males as they may tire and possibly injure her.

Yep.

Thank you everyone! - Very informative* :)

I did another 80% WC today - I'll post parameters in the morn and do another WC if needed. Thanks again*