Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
greenorchid

Laying Eggs again ...... What do I do?

Eunice (XL ryukin) is laying eggs again* --- A LOT!!!!

My other 3 are eating most of them and she's very lively swimming back and forth dropping eggs everywhere. Most are being eaten :( by the other 3 , but a lot are stuck to my rocks , floating around, in the substrate.

What am I suppose to do? Remove other 3 and let her finish?

Will I have fry to raise? I have no clue where to even start then....

Let them eat them all....... yuke! :thumbdown

Please tell me what to do....... thanks*

If you don't want the fry, I would just let them eat the eggs. Keep an eye on Eunice to make sure she is well. If anything, I would remove her rather than the other fish if she seems distressed.

If you don't want the fry, I would just let them eat the eggs. Keep an eye on Eunice to make sure she is well. If anything, I would remove her rather than the other fish if she seems distressed.

How about tank divider?

How about tank divider?

Sure, that works. Some people even float the fish in a colander :)

If I want to try to raise fry what should I do? Put up divider with only Eunice on one side and then can I leave fry there? I read something about current from filter , etc.... Can the fry live in main tank? She's a big fish. Should I put her in my 10 gallon - it's all I have right now - buy a sponge filter? I have no clue...

How about tank divider?

Sure, that works. Some people even float the fish in a colander :)

She's Jumbo size - she'd never fit in a colander. If I put the divider up the fry will be able to fit through the sides when they grow - so what then?

If I want to try to raise fry what should I do? Put up divider with only Eunice on one side and then can I leave fry there? I read something about current from filter , etc.... Can the fry live in main tank? She's a big fish. Should I put her in my 10 gallon - it's all I have right now - buy a sponge filter? I have no clue...

If you want to raise fry you would set up a separate tank for them. Goldfish will all eat the eggs and fry, and do not raise their own babies. They all eat their eggs. Until they are recognizable as goldfish, the fish will eat the fry as well. Unless you can be devoted to daily WCs, hatch the fry food, and care for them for several months until they are large enough to go into space of their own, I would just let the fish eat the eggs.

I bet Eunice probably could use the nutrients she spent making those eggs. A good bit of those can be reabsorbed if she eats them.

If she is stressed, just set up the divider. :) Give her a little time to calm down. Also, be aware that this can occur over and over for awhile if she is feeling happy. If she's laying, she's probably very happy.

If you want to raise fry you would set up a separate tank for them. Goldfish will all eat the eggs and fry, and do not raise their own babies. They all eat their eggs. Until they are recognizable as goldfish, the fish will eat the fry as well. Unless you can be devoted to daily WCs, hatch the fry food, and care for them for several months until they are large enough to go into space of their own, I would just let the fish eat the eggs.

I bet Eunice probably could use the nutrients she spent making those eggs. A good bit of those can be reabsorbed if she eats them.

If she is stressed, just set up the divider. :) Give her a little time to calm down. Also, be aware that this can occur over and over for awhile if she is feeling happy. If she's laying, she's probably very happy.

Yes, this :)

Awww - well that's really good to hear* thanks. I hope she is happy! I really try - and just hope I'm doing good.

My husband and I agreed that I've stressed over these 4 fish so much - that trying to raise hundreds more would probably stress me to death - ha! ..... I have to just concentrated on these 4 - maybe one day when I master this I'll try something new.

Thanks for the advice *

Now I just have to figure out my saturation water issue (cloudy water w bubbles on wall after WC) and I'll be all set.

Raising fry is time consuming, but also a lot of fun. I was in your situation last year; I literally looked up and my black moor was laying eggs! I worked hard at raising the fry but was unprepared and could not get everything I needed in time to prevent many from dying quickly. I will be ready this time around; my male Ryukin is showing breeding stars.

I collected as many eggs as I could into a mesh breeder basket, and floated it in the tank until the eggs hatched. A week later I moved the basket over to my 20 gal, from which I had emptied the water to 6 in. In retrospect I should have done this sooner because the adult fish got to some of the fry as they were floating in the main tank. Another thing I wasn't able to do was treat with Prazi at 2 weeks. This is important because the immune systems of the fry are not developed enough to handle flukes, which can cause a massive die-off as it did in my tank. I had one fry out of the 15 or so eggs live to 3 months, at which point I thought it would be a good idea to replace the sponge filter with my HOB. Unfortunately, I made the awful mistake of forgetting to cover the filter intake, and the fry swam up it and died.

I really hope I do better next time - I would love to raise my own goldies. If you decide to raise your fry, there are a lot of experienced members here who can walk you through it. Also remember that you don't have to collect every single egg; 15 or so is a good number IMO (a lot will not survive, anyway).

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Raising fry is time consuming, but also a lot of fun. I was in your situation last year; I literally looked up and my black moor was laying eggs! I worked hard at raising the fry but was unprepared and could not get everything I needed in time to prevent many from dying quickly. I will be ready this time around; my male Ryukin is showing breeding stars.

I collected as many eggs as I could into a mesh breeder basket, and floated it in the tank until the eggs hatched. A week later I moved the basket over to my 20 gal, from which I had emptied the water to 6 in. In retrospect I should have done this sooner because the adult fish got to some of the fry as they were floating in the main tank. Another thing I wasn't able to do was treat with Prazi at 2 weeks. This is important because the immune systems of the fry are not developed enough to handle flukes, which can cause a massive die-off as it did in my tank. I had one fry out of the 15 or so eggs live to 3 months, at which point I thought it would be a good idea to replace the sponge filter with my HOB. Unfortunately, I made the awful mistake of forgetting to cover the filter intake, and the fry swam up it and died.

I really hope I do better next time - I would love to raise my own goldies. If you decide to raise your fry, there are a lot of experienced members here who can walk you through it. Also remember that you don't have to collect every single egg; 15 or so is a good number IMO (a lot will not survive, anyway).

Good luck!

Thanks so much - one day I'll try again - like you said I need to be prepared and read up more on this in order for everything to run smoothly. I would be a stressed mess otherwise - I already was all day today - ha*

I think you made the right decision about the fry. I don't have the time or the space to do it properly, so I just let my fish eat the eggs. I also don't have any males which helps :rofl

Also - If there is no male large enough to fertilize the eggs, there wont be any fry. If there is no chasing/fertilization happening, there won't be any fry.

The eggs are just protein and actually, can help parent fish recouperate some of what they've lost by eating them. Unless she is badly banged up from spawning behavior, there's no need to move anyone or do anything.

Thanks everyone......

And guess what I woke up to ????? Professor Roy Hinkley (white ryukin) is at it again.... but this time with Thurston!!! or I guess Thurstina? my oranda!!!! - oh my goodness - I just put him in a colander to calm down. I'll see if that helps.... :idont ..... Men! ha*

so is this why Eunice has been kind of still and not active lately but super hungry? ........ it all makes sense now

It probably is. Eggs weigh a fish down a lot.

If I could make a suggestion, I would say to let him chase the females as long as they don't seem exhausted. This is natural behavior and does help the females release their eggs. They don't necessarily need him to lay but it helps.

-on tapatalk-

It probably is. Eggs weigh a fish down a lot.

If I could make a suggestion, I would say to let him chase the females as long as they don't seem exhausted. This is natural behavior and does help the females release their eggs. They don't necessarily need him to lay but it helps.

-on tapatalk-

hmmm ok - learn something new every day* --- he escaped anyway so he's free again* --- other's tell me to rehome him or have a separate male tank....... :( will this make my ladies lives easier? He is fluttering away in my oranda's tooshie as I type this - frisky lil devil.

The funny thing is my oranda just seems to take it and not care - haha

Who told you to have a male-only tank? I think a good mix of males and females provides a healthy environment by allowing natural behavior. I think that unless you're breeding to sell fry, there is zero necessity to separate males from females provided you don't have a single female in a tank full of men. It really doesn't seem logical to me... especially when at least half of us here have mixed-gender tanks and are doing very well.

-on tapatalk-

some females will spawn without the presence of males. the other females will behave like males, not for fertilizing of eggs, but for a free and yummy meal. so, sometimes, you just can't stop nature taking place. i would assume that males are the same, i had several males in the tank on their own and a few had breeding stars so bright, i am sure they were in season.

Who told you to have a male-only tank? I think a good mix of males and females provides a healthy environment by allowing natural behavior. I think that unless you're breeding to sell fry, there is zero necessity to separate males from females provided you don't have a single female in a tank full of men. It really doesn't seem logical to me... especially when at least half of us here have mixed-gender tanks and are doing very well.

-on tapatalk-

good to hear - I didn't want to separate them* thanks

some females will spawn without the presence of males. the other females will behave like males, not for fertilizing of eggs, but for a free and yummy meal. so, sometimes, you just can't stop nature taking place. i would assume that males are the same, i had several males in the tank on their own and a few had breeding stars so bright, i am sure they were in season.

Well my white ryukin is definitely a male..... not sure about the other two yet - one day The Professor and Eunice will have some babies - just not today. Thanks for everyone's information - I'm learning a lot already*

Now my oranda's anus is red - my male ryukin keeps nipping at it and nestling his head in her bottom and keeps swimming next to her and smooshing his face beside hers.

My oranda seems annoyed now. Heck I'm annoyed watching it.

I agree with Chelsea; there is absolutely no reason to separate them unless there is constant bullying behavior. I have male-female tanks and only ever have chasing during the actual spawning. The spawning itself looks really violent, but unless someone is injured as a result, there is no need to take action. The head-butting helps move her along in releasing the eggs.

It might help to remove ornaments though if you have any and are concerned - last time my males chased my black moor through a hole in the driftwood that I had thought was too small for any of them to fit through. Luckily, no one was hurt.

I agree with Chelsea; there is absolutely no reason to separate them unless there is constant bullying behavior. I have male-female tanks and only ever have chasing during the actual spawning. The spawning itself looks really violent, but unless someone is injured as a result, there is no need to take action. The head-butting helps move her along in releasing the eggs.

It might help to remove ornaments though if you have any and are concerned - last time my males chased my black moor through a hole in the driftwood that I had thought was too small for any of them to fit through. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Ok - thanks* --- I have no ornaments just sand and smooth river rocks on bottom. Eunice (ryukin from yesterday) is surface gulping a lot this morning. Is this normal behavior after laying eggs? thanks*