Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emilyadams

Eggs! What do I do?!

I hope so, I was really looking forward to raising some fry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During spring they tend to spawn more than once. In fact mine spawned with a difference of 4 days, and now I have fry and eggs. Be patient and rise the temperature in your main tank to 26º celsius and done. Of course keep it constant, and observe the belly of the female. When the female releases the eggs the belly flattens, and when it produces eggs, it seems to be fatty. Another way to know whether is still producing or not, it's through the poo (reabsortion of eggs). And finally of course when the male chases the female in the tank.

If you want to have a lot of fry, you can handspawn her. It's not difficult and you don't even have to push hard or something like that. The fish just needs some stimulus.

During spring they tend to spawn more than once. In fact mine spawned with a difference of 4 days, and now I have fry and eggs. Be patient and rise the temperature in your main tank to 26º celsius and done. Of course keep it constant, and observe the belly of the female. When the female releases the eggs the belly flattens, and when it produces eggs, it seems to be fatty. Another way to know whether is still producing or not, it's through the poo (reabsortion of eggs). And finally of course when the male chases the female in the tank.

If you want to have a lot of fry, you can handspawn her. It's not difficult and you don't even have to push hard or something like that. The fish just needs some stimulus.

Thanks for all of that! I was actually going to try to handspawn my ranchu this morning as she has been looking heavy and really round in the belly but when I felt her belly it felt really hard and I wasn't sure if that was normal. The mother of the fry that just died was a ryukin and I find it difficult to tell if she's looking full or flattened.

I will adjust the temp to 26. Thank you again!

Also, what are your thoughts on daily 20% water changes? I've read on a lot of sites that this may help stimulate spawning

Well I adjusted the temp, did a 20% water change and plopped in a spawning mop last night and this morning I HAVE EGGS!

Thanks for all of that! I was actually going to try to handspawn my ranchu this morning as she has been looking heavy and really round in the belly but when I felt her belly it felt really hard and I wasn't sure if that was normal. The mother of the fry that just died was a ryukin and I find it difficult to tell if she's looking full or flattened.

I will adjust the temp to 26. Thank you again!

You're welcome! If you want to handspawn you have to push near the anus, and without much effort it should release all. If it hasn't happened this way, then it means she was empty or still in process. Haha I've just seen the last post you've written. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Edited by Rhea

Congrats on the second spawn!

I would be very very careful about hand-spawning, because if you aren't experienced there is a risk of damaging the female internally, possibly resulting in her death. It's best to let the female do what she is going to do and don't intervene unless something is obviously wrong.

Woot!! More eggs! :nana

So now I have the mop in a small container, submersed in water obviously. When the fry hatch... how do I get it out without damaging anyone?

So now I have the mop in a small container, submersed in water obviously. When the fry hatch... how do I get it out without damaging anyone?

Prepare a small tupper or bucket with fresh water. Then get a pantyhose and cut a small piece. With that one catch them and quickly quickly move them into the tupper/bucket. Done ^^. They are fragile but as they don't move during their first days after hatching out, this is veeeeeery easy to do. The other way is using a brine shrimp net.

Also I'd recommend you to get rid off unfertilized eggs, as they might grow up fungus and thus affect the good ones. Some people add a drop (per liter or two) of blue methylene, but in my opinion, the natural way is better.

I just picked out about 100. I will do another round later, it's kind of a pain staking project lol

Just did another round, seems like there were way more unfertilized then fertilized but we will see what happens in the next few days :). Any advice is welcomed!

I have successfully raised two batches of fry to adulthood in this past year, and I found the easiest way to move them was to scoop them out with a tea strainer. No harm to the fry and its something everybody has. :)

That's a great idea! :)

Not everyone has a tea strainer. :whistle

:rofl3

That's a great idea! :)

Not everyone has a tea strainer. :whistle

:rofl3

I don't have one but I didn't want to say anything in case I was one of the only ones who didn't!

*puts on shopping list*

LOL

Lol - well I stand corrected. They work well because they don't collapse. :)

It's definitely a good idea :) hopefully I have some hatch so I can try it out!!