Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emilyadams

Eggs! What do I do?!

You don't need to buy a brine shrimp hatchery, you could just make one :) I use half a plastic coke bottle, with an air stone and a very small heater. My bbs hatch in less than 24 hours :)

Just ordered some eggs and will make my own hatchery if/when the time comes!

Also I told Joe (my fiancee) that if we have at least 12 fry with eggs we are going to have to upgrade to a 20 gallon and he said no... a 29 gallon! Yay! More tanks!

I found a 10 watt heater at the pet store today. Just realized when I got it home though that it is still preset for 78 F, should I just wait it out and let them hatch on their own? I don't want to kill any of them with too much heat.

How many gallons are they in? Is their a top on the tank? What is your house temp? Current water temp?

They are in a 10 gallon half full, so 5 gallons? House temp is 22 C (71.6 F) and tank temp looks to be about 72 F but does fluctuate between 70-72 throughout the day. I do have a top on the tank with the light on.

I think low 70s is perfect. I would just keep an eye on it. If it gets below, say, 68 then I would think about adding the heater. :D

Okay thank you :) I'm just getting impatient I think. Doing lots of reading in the meantime so I know how to do things properly.

I was impatient too!! And I only had one egg. :tomuch:

Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. :rofl3

THEY'RE HATCHING! Guess I shouldn't have spoken so soon! 3 counted so far.

:rockon. Congrats!!!

This just keeps getting wilder to me lol. Went to turn off the lights in the main tank and noticed a fry clinging to my uv sterilizer. Luckily Joe was able to get him out safely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl3 Now we are going to need some pics so you can get a breeder's medal. :nana

I will try tomorrow when I see how many hatch :)

Managed to get one :)

dybeqysa.jpg

So far this morning the count is 21 :) and 18 eggs left to hatch that we can see.

Congrats!! ^^

Congratulations! :)

ubu6unej.jpg

Sad to report that the 30 that hatched over the last day or so have died due to cold temps in my dining room. We do have a few eggs left to hatch so I will be adding a heater to the tank to hopefully avoid this happening again :(

I'm sorry to read that. If the temps are in the 70-72* range, the deaths were most likely not because of that . . . Did the temp drop below that? :idont

I'm sorry to read that. If the temps are in the 70-72* range, the deaths were most likely not because of that . . . Did the temp drop below that? :idont

It did. When I came downstairs this morning it was at about 66-67.

:hmm It seems to me like Erin's (FishWish) fry were in cooler temps like that. But maybe it was the fluctuation? :idont

When you add the heater, just be sure to keep your eye on the temp. You don't want it to be too warm either.

Good luck. I hope more hatch for you. :hug

Is there anything I can do to "encourage" them to spawn again? I've read that by decreasing temp and then increasing slowly you can simulate the experience of spring in the tank?

Edited by Emilyadams

Alex had suggested that when I did a WC to increase the water by about 5 degrees. I didn't try it cuz I had my fry and didn't want a bunch more. Oftentimes, once they spawn, they will spawn a few times on their own without much encouragement. :ehh