Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Emilyadams

Eggs! What do I do?!

I was watching the fish this morning from afar and noticed they seemed to be eating something off the bottom and I hadn't fed them yet! I went over and saw this!!

hemyra4y.jpg

8umunesy.jpg

I saw some eggs in one of my marimo balls so I gently scooped it out and put it in some tank water. Anything else I need to do? Wait to see if they turn color or hatch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait and see. If it turns white, it's not fertilized. If you get two little black eyes and a spine, you've got yourself a fry! :)

And your fish probably don't need breakfast today. :rofl

Congrats and good luck. :D

Congratulations! :D

Don't forget to do a huge WC in the main tank after 24 hours so as to get rid of the rest of the eggs and milt in there. You don't want that rotting in the tank.

Don't forget to do a huge WC in the main tank after 24 hours so as to get rid of the rest of the eggs and milt in there. You don't want that rotting in the tank.

I can do that, thanks!

Well it's been 8 hours and the eggs that are on the marimo are still clear! Trying hard not to get my hopes up but it's hard not to be excited!

Do you have a heater with the eggs? I decided not to put a heater in when I had eggs, it took 10 days for them to hatch. So looking back, I'd recommend using a heater :)

Not everyone's house is freezing Lis. :rofl

:hug

Tank temp in the low 70s should hatch them in a few days. :D

Should I move them into my 10 gallon tank? It's empty right now. I currently have the marimo in a small tupper ware container. The 10 gallon does have a heater that I could turn on.

You could put them in a 10 gallon but fill it just halfway with water. What temp is the water without a heater?

It's about 20* celsius so like 68* farenheit?

Edited by Emilyadams

Also the heater that I have is not adjustable and I've had it for so long I'm not sure what temp it would heat the tank to. I have others that are adjustable but they may be too long for that tank.

It's not really a big deal for me to go get a new heater if needed though.

Edited by Emilyadams

I guess I'd rather see the tank at 68* then fry the fry. :yikes

I think my tank was upper 60s when my fry hatched. I eventually did add a heater to keep it closer to 72*

How many watts is your nonadjustable heater? :idont

It's a tetra 50 watts. Just googled it and it heats the tank to 78 so maybe I'll stay away for now and if I get some fry I can always buy a new adjustable heater or figure out something with one of my other ones

50 watts would be way too much for a 10 gallon half full. I had an 8 watt . . . . then a 25 watt for 5-10 gallons. But it definitely depends on your house temp and whether or not you have any sort of lid on the tank. :D

It does have a lid with a light that I could turn on. My house is usually set around 21 Celsius. I don't mind waiting if they're actually going to hatch :)

Also... I was shopping at Walmart and peeked in the fish aisle and realized I NEVER PUT PRIME IN THE TANK. rushed home and added it so hopefully they will be okay.

y3atadyq.jpg

Here's the tank. My fiancée was able to find some more tank decos that had eggs so we transferred them.

We've been having a lot of egg-citing events lately. It's Easter time! :rofl :rofl :rofl

:Congrats:

We have counted at least 12 that we can see eyes in! This is exciting.

Not everyone's house is freezing Lis. :rofl

:hug

Tank temp in the low 70s should hatch them in a few days. :D

Very true :rofl I often forget that normal homes don't require you to wear a coat most of the time :rofl

Emily, great to hear about the eyes! Can't wait to see the fry! :D

Should I be ordering a brine shine hatchery do you think? Or is that jumping the gun a bit? LOL. I'm just so excited and scared I've got no idea what to do once they hatch.

I would guess that at least a few will hatch if you're seeing eyes. And if you need to order the BBS then I probably would cuz it will take a while for you to get them, then it will take about 24 hours for them to hatch. :teehee