Sign in to follow this  
Rhea

Fertilized Eggs Microscope Findings

56 posts in this topic

Oh my gosh. This is just fantastic. This has got to be in my top 5 threads ever. :o

Are we gonna get another video tomorrow? :rolleyes:

:teehee

Ohhhh such an honor!!! :D If they haven't hatched out yet, then absolutely yes.

OMG! It is so cool to see the beating heart and flowing blood. Wow, that life form is a goldfish! Amazing!

Babies! :D

Grats! Isn't it so interesting to watch them grow so quickly? In comparison to human babies that take so many months to fully form, a goldfish is ready to go in only a blink of the eye! It's evolution at work! \o/

That video is amazing :o and the difference between day 1 and 2 is quite extraordinary. Thanks for sharing :D

Ditto!

I'm really sorry for not updating yesterday.I was too tired, but not given up yet, so here it goes!!

Day 3: (haching out)

th_20140403_193353_zpsb69b6149.jpg

Another video but this time with something different than an egg ;). No animal was harmed in the making off.

20140403_160627_zpsa243b40f.jpg

Congratulations on the fry! It looks like you have A LOT :rofl

Yes haha. You are right. I have more than 200 but I don't know exactly since I get lost counting. However I had to begin with prazi because I saw some flukes going around under the microscope and I was noooooooooooooooooooooo....you little asdfghjkl!!

:nana That is a lot of fry. Time for a pond. A BIG pond. :rofl3

They look fantastic!

Just a few... :rofl

Hello everyone. Yesterday I've begun feeding them and they are all very happy. I had some difficulties with the brine shrimp hatching, so I had to feed both egg yolk and brine shrimp. Today my female goldfish has spawned again, so I have got a tupper full of eggs. At this point I guess I have enough hahah. From now on I'll try to do a kind of diary with the evolution of the fry, but it's a pity that I cannot change the name of the thread to something like " fertilized eggs microscope findings".

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but do I have to get a badge or sth (from the forum admin) when I get fry?

:hi Your thread is amazing!!! I have never seen anything like this! Congrats on all of the fry!

:hi Your thread is amazing!!! I have never seen anything like this! Congrats on all of the fry!

Thank you!! I've just pretended to satiate the curiosity of the forum breeders because I've learnt a lot from them (you are one of those). I think it was my turn to give something back, and since I've not found anything alike, then this is what came out.

Oh something else ^^, thank you to the person who changed the name of the thread!!!

Hello everyone. Yesterday I've begun feeding them and they are all very happy. I had some difficulties with the brine shrimp hatching, so I had to feed both egg yolk and brine shrimp. Today my female goldfish has spawned again, so I have got a tupper full of eggs. At this point I guess I have enough hahah. From now on I'll try to do a kind of diary with the evolution of the fry, but it's a pity that I cannot change the name of the thread to something like " fertilized eggs microscope findings".

I don't know whether this is correct or not, but do I have to get a badge or sth (from the forum admin) when I get fry?

I have changed the title of your thread. Please let me know if you'd prefer something different. You will not be able to change it as it needs to be done by admin or a mod, so just let me know if you'd like it changed again. :)

I have also alerted admin so you should be getting a breeder's medal sometime in the next day or so. :nana

I have changed the title of your thread. Please let me know if you'd prefer something different. You will not be able to change it as it needs to be done by admin or a mod, so just let me know if you'd like it changed again. :)

I have also alerted admin so you should be getting a breeder's medal sometime in the next day or so. :nana

It's just perfect!!! I didn't know that I had to tell you; I've just thought it couldn't be changed. Thank you for all !!! :D:D:D

Thank you!! I've just pretended to satiate the curiosity of the forum breeders because I've learnt a lot from them (you are one of those). I think it was my turn to give something back, and since I've not found anything alike, then this is what came out.

Oh, you are so sweet! You read my thread??? I'm so glad you got something out of it! I am the definition of a beginner. :rofl There are a few things I would do differently to do it over again. But, it has been a wonderful experience and am so glad that I did it. :D

You're welcome! :D

Thank you for this thread. :teehee. I just love the microscope pics. :lisa:

Oh, you are so sweet! You read my thread??? I'm so glad you got something out of it! I am the definition of a beginner. :rofl There are a few things I would do differently to do it over again. But, it has been a wonderful experience and am so glad that I did it. :D

Of course I do! In fact I've read lots of posts and threads, because my first batch of eggs was a disappointment. So I needed some planning and procedures. I'm a beginner myself too, so as you've pointed out there were many things to be polished by the way.

HOW TO GROW UP FRY (my experience so far)

Day 0:

There are two main methods to obtain fry: one consists of hand-spawning, and the second consists of natural release. My experience has been the first method, so I'll tell how it went. Firstly, we prepare a bucket with bottled water. We use this one mainly because we know it has nothing else inside less than natural minerals. The point is using as less chemicals as possible and let's admit it, water prime is one. The bucket is preferable to be made of plastic rather than glass, because the eggs can't stick so hard as they would on glass.

Having this, we get out the female from the main tank and place her gently into the bucket. With one hand we hold her, and very close to the anus we rub the belly. Normally if the female is full of eggs, she will instantly spawn because what we simulate is the behavior of the male. Once we got the eggs, we get the male out and do the same as with the female.

Now that sperm is in the water, we stir it with our finger or with any kind of utensil. The only thing left now is setting a constant temperature up to 26 degrees (celsius) and wait.

Day 1:

This day is pretty special because we can easily find out whether our eggs have got fertilized or not. For this we only need a desk lamp, a dark cardboard and our bucket (if you are wondering, the cardboard goes under the bucket; that makes the identification easier). The transparent ones that look flat and with some kind of circle inside, are the ones that have a growing goldfish inside, the white ones are just unfertilized eggs.

So what do we do now? Some people wait for the hatching time, but if you want to be 90% sure fungus won't get mixed in the equation, we'd have to get the white ones out. What do we need? Some normal tweezers, a blackhead remover, and a piece of absorbing paper (or whatever you can use as a waste container). With the flat edge of the blackhead remover we can unstick the eggs or detach an ok egg from a bad egg. After this, we proceed to take out the white egg with the tweezers. Be gently or you might squeeze it (don't worry if you do, nothing happens). If you are afraid or not sure on how much pressure you have to apply, don't worry. The water will create a drop around the egg that acts like a container in between the tweezers. So just make sure you don't break the mini drop.

Day 2:

Nothing much to expect here. Just small eyes and few more white eggs that need to be culled.

Day 3:

This day you can become a proud fish mom! They begin to hatch out but don't expect them to move lots. They are going to be clingy and lazy. It's important not to feed them, as they are not going to eat anything because they keep feeding themselves from their remaining yolk (this could take 3-4 days max). In the other hand, you don't need to make any water changes (just until they begin to eat). At this point if you want to have more chances of succeeding in this breeding adventure, then as financial professionals say, don't place all your eggs in the same basket. The more baskets you use, the less risk you face. Then the same could apply to us. If we separate the fry into 3 ice cream buckets , for instance, then the risk of death is lessened. At least that's the theory. And such I did myself. For doing this we use another bucket and a piece of pantyhose (that we don't use anymore) as a fishing net. Get ready for fry catching! When you've moved them all, then that's it.

Day 4:

Nothing to do. You can just observe and be happy. Probably some will move around, but the percentage would be 5%. So don't worry. Maybe you could cull those that you see with severe malformation (detached eyes, curled spine, etc.). Normally we wouldn't expect dead fry, but if it happens, then “cull” them too.

Buuut... (yes my friend, there are always but's) you could watch out for fluffy stuff (cotton-like strings/threads) hanging on your little goldfish wannabes. If you can find any, then you have to start using Prazi. One round could be enough, but as those threads mean EGGS (yes, you've read right EGSS!) then a second round won't hurt. If this is not your case, then congratulations!

Day 5:

Today we need to prepare that brine shrimp concoction that we are all (ok almost all) worried about. If it's our first time then we won't know much about what to expect, less than of course the theory we've kokoed or googled. The theory is pretty easy: we need a half liter bottle, air tubing, an air pump, 1/2L of bottled water (or dechlorinated water), half tablespoon of pure NaCl (yes, that's salt), and 1/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp (artemia) eggs. We mix the water, the salt and the eggs, place the tubing into the water and voilà, 24 hours later we have small pink things swimming in our bottle. The perfect ph for artemia is a bit below 8, so if your ph is low add a pinch of banking soda. This will set it perfect for you.

Day 6:

Feeding time!!!! What you should expect is no yolk left, and some very quick swimmers inside your bucket. If this is not your case yet, then wait one day more. In order to get the brine shrimp out of the bottle we have to use a normal straw (transparent better, because we can see what we've caught). Now place your finger on one edge and introduce the straw in the water until you reach the swimming brine. Let go your finger and the water will go up with our baby food. When you've got the level desired, put back you finger on the edge such that you can move the straw without losing your load. Now you can either drop it in the bucket you want, or pass it through a mesh/net/pantyhose/whatever else and later on sink it into the bucket.

After 15 min you'll see small fatty fry with pink bellies. Another option could be boiled egg yolk, but it blurs the water a lot and all gets too messy. Murky water is the worst you could experience. Artemia just falls to the bottom when it dies, but it's going to disappear in minutes, because it's simply... DELICIOUS. So the cleaning part it results waaaaaaaay easier.

Murky water... phew. That's breeders worst nightmare. How on Earth are we going to clean that? Mmm no human possible way. Give up. Prepare a new bucket and fish out your small babies. If you have them into a tank, bad news then; you also need to do the same thing.

Why is important to keep the water clean? Well, as we all know junk and food leftovers turn into ammonia... Imagine what would happen to your cuties. Yes, that's it, they would die. And at this point we can't even use a sponge filter because they would get sucked up by the air power. For the first week I'd keep the manual daily changing bucket method.

Day 7 onwards: (until 1 week after hatching out more or less)

Repeat Day 6, over and over again. You'll get many changes in your fry. They will get betta eyes (like normal eyes but tiny), fins, and pinky bellies. Over the time, the feeding needs will increase.

Updating with some more microscope videos. The first one is just after hatching out and the second one 3 days after that. You can see the difference by looking at the yolk sack. No fish has been hurt during the video taking (the micro. has LED lights and the fish has been placed into a mini cube full of water)

th_20140403_193353_zpsc5a50565.jpg

th_20140407_194921_001_001_zps37b83cd5.j

Warning: you are going to be redirected to Photobucket :).

Update 2:

• 1ST fry batch: hatching out date 02/04/2014 and 03/04/2014

07/04/2014 - 5 days old

2_zps86dbd982.jpg

10/04/2014 - 8 days old

1_zps23c121f1.jpg

14/04/2014 - 12 days old

2014-04-15000354_zps02fb0565.jpg

Update 3

• 2nd fry batch:

06/04/2014 (this photo shows you the carboard and glass tupper trick)

4_zps211f0c54.jpg

3_zps00926f36.jpg

12/04/2014 few days after hatching out

5_zps7053e95a.jpg

Those videos are soooo cool! :clapping:

You have a ton of fry! :o Wow! :nana

You are such a goldfish scientist! Cool videos!