Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LisaCGold

The kh and ph dance

The tap water's ph is about 7.6-7.8, but the kh is about 3 drops. So I add baking soda to get the kh to about 7-9 drops. That raises the ph to about 8.4+. The brown hairy algae love this ph range. I would prefer to keep the ph range to what comes out of the tap to help reduce the brown algae (I only keep my lights on for about 6 hours a day). Would Gold Buffer be a better choice to buffer the ph but not raise it?

I like the cost of baking soda in comparison to Gold Buffer, but I'm tired of fighting with too much brown algae.

The problem here is that Gold Buffer has almost identical buffering profiles as that of baking soda, since that's the major ingredient in it.

Which baking soda are you using? My pH stays at about 8-8.2

I can try to see if there is another buffer that would buffer at no more than pH 8, but that may not be so economical as baking soda. :)

The problem here is that Gold Buffer has almost identical buffering profiles as that of baking soda, since that's the major ingredient in it.

Which baking soda are you using? My pH stays at about 8-8.2

I can try to see if there is another buffer that would buffer at no more than pH 8, but that may not be so economical as baking soda. :)

I'm using Arm & Hammer.

Do you have problems with brown algae? I don't mind some brown algae, but too much is a drag.

I've been looking at buffers to find something that won't raise pH so much. What I'm finding is that a combination of at least two buffers would possibly work--one to raise kH (like baking soda) and one to lower pH (possibly Seachem Acid Buffer??). I would prefer to simplify.

We are exactly on the same wavelength. I was thinking of the combo of alkaline + acidic buffers and then finding the right balance, but that just seems way too complicated. I almost would rather you don't buffer the water than to go to that extent.

I do have issues with brown algae, but I am lazy, and just let it be. :yikes