Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Andy228

Ryukin chasing. Is this mating behavior?

After I placed my ryukins in the main tank, the metallic one is chasing the other. Current tank temp is 74 degree. Will it help if I lower the temp?

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid908.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac288%2Fatran4%2FVID_20140323_110153_zpsbba4e981.mp4">

th_VID_20140323_110153_zpsbba4e981.jpg

congratulations , expect to see some little ones soon.

Hi Andy228, from what I have read, it's the drastic temperature change that can cause spawning. But yes, usually when one goldie chases the other it usually means they want to spawn (conditions have to be just right for this though) I'm not too familiar with this topic but maybe bringing down the temp to 72 might calm them down? I was not able to view your video. I wouldn't worry too much that they are chasing each other unless they are really hurting one another (nipping at fins and such) or you don't want babies lol but you can remove the eggs. It sounds like maybe you just put them in the main tank from a QT tank? well, when I first introduced my last goldie to my tank he was being chased by the other two as well. I think because they were not familiar with him. Could be your goldies are just a little stressed from being moved, that's my opinion anyway. If your goldies are mature enough, look to see if they are displaying the "breeding stars". They look like white little pimples/ dots on their gills. That is another good way of figuring out if they are wanting to spawn. Hope this helped a little. Good luck!

Edited by MK_12

congratulations , expect to see some little ones soon.

One of our expert breeders have spoken! :D

Hopefully no baby yet. Just transferred from qt need a break. No breeding stars. They did not exhibit this behavior in qt. Temp lower to 72 degree.

Thank all for your input.