Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

Fry Deaths

My last goldfish fry just died. I knew that there was a good chance that this would happen, but it still sucks. I hoped that at least ONE would survive. :(

I hope my fishies breed again soon so I can try again. I learned a lot this time so next time around I'm gonna be sure that I'm prepared.

I'm so sorry. :(

Given that they all died in a relatively short amount of time, I think the possibility is most likely that this is some type of infection, and flukes are prime culprits. :(

My last goldfish fry just died. I knew that there was a good chance that this would happen, but it still sucks. I hoped that at least ONE would survive. :(

I hope my fishies breed again soon so I can try again. I learned a lot this time so next time around I'm gonna be sure that I'm prepared.

I'm so sorry. :(

Given that they all died in a relatively short amount of time, I think the possibility is most likely that this is some type of infection, and flukes are prime culprits. :(

Yeah you may be right. :(

Do you know if it's safe to start prazi a little before 2 weeks? I started losing some just before they turned 2 weeks old. I'm gonna order some prazi online so I have it ready for next time. I'm also gonna order the brine shrimp eggs, because I don't think the egg yolks I was feeding them were good enough.

I'll wait for the people who have done it to chime in, but I thought that some people actually started at one week.

I've heard of it being done at one week. I think it would be okay. The losses that were discussed I didn't believe to be due to the Prazi anyway, but just my opinion. Seemed like something else was going on.

The powdered prazi is best for fry and I start closer to 1 1/2 weeks old. But I also prazi the parent tank preemtively before breeding time to help reduce fluke exposure.

I never really realized how common flukes are....where do they even come from? How do they find the baby goldfish so quickly?

I treated with PraziPro at one week. :)

Flukes are virtually everywhere. Most likely they came with the parent fish. And they are almost impossible to eliminate. The best we can to is keep the population low. I treated at one week, then 2 weeks after that. I should probably do another round soon. :whistle

Have you treated your main tank for flukes? If not, I definitely would . . .

Sorry for your losses. :hug

Sorry all your fry died.

I started with 8 and have 5 left. I had a couple die after I had them awhile.

I treated with liquid Prazi at two weeks.

For food I fed frozen baby brine shrimp and the liquid from my Raphasy food.

I also transferred a few plants from the main tank to help seed with microscopic life they could eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treated with PraziPro at one week. :)

Flukes are virtually everywhere. Most likely they came with the parent fish. And they are almost impossible to eliminate. The best we can to is keep the population low. I treated at one week, then 2 weeks after that. I should probably do another round soon. :whistle

Have you treated your main tank for flukes? If not, I definitely would . . .

Sorry for your losses. :hug

No, I've never treated the main tank. I suppose I should! o:

How often do I need to dose my main tank with prazi to keep the population down?

At this point, you might as well just get the materials ready, (prazi, broad spectrum waterborne antibiotic) and just have it on hand. How long have you had the fish? If you've had them for a quite a while, and they don't show symptoms, they could very well have developed a sort of resistance and are controlling the flukes adequately at the moment.

At this point, you might as well just get the materials ready, (prazi, broad spectrum waterborne antibiotic) and just have it on hand. How long have you had the fish? If you've had them for a quite a while, and they don't show symptoms, they could very well have developed a sort of resistance and are controlling the flukes adequately at the moment.

I've had my ryukin Hodor the longest, and I've only had her for 4 1/2 months. The others I got all after Christmas.