Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tuba Toothpaste

Fry Deaths

So my fry are officially two weeks old today. I haven't had any deaths until yesterday morning. There were two deaths yesterday and one that I found this morning. (I started out with a total of 14.) Is it normal for fry to all of a sudden start dying like this, or is something wrong? I'm afraid I'm not gonna have any left at this rate. :(

How do they look before death? Symptoms? Can you fill out the D & D chart or their tank? As said before me, hav you started prazi?

I was looking for prazi yesterday because I heard you're supposed to treat for flukes at 2 weeks. They didn't have it at petsmart so I went to another pet store and he sold me a product called Copper Cure I saying it also works to treat flukes. I haven't used it yet though bc I'm not sure if it's safe for baby fry. I thought it would be best to wait and ask you guys if it's safe.

I haven't noticed any symptoms or anything like that, but then again they're really small so maybe I'm just not noticing? The ones that are still alive seem to be swimming just fine.

They're all in a 20g long tank with less than 6 inches of water. Since the water level is so low I can't fit my sponge filter in there yet. I've been doing small daily water changes to keep the water clean. I've been testing the water and haven't gotten any ammonia readings.

I haven't been able to find any brine shrimp eggs near me so I've been feeding them cooked egg yolks.

That's all I can think of, am I doing something wrong? I don't think it's normal to lose 4 fry in two days. :(

They might be hungry - try grinding up one adult pellet and mixing that with the yolk.

Live brine shrimp is the best as they expect their food to move. But that will take you a few days to find the cysts and hatch. Here's a primer on how to hatch them using stuff you have at home.

I'd take back that Copper Cure and get PraziPro or powdered praziquantel, even if you need to order it online. Praziquantel alone is the most gentle thing for your fish, especially babies.

If you can not find baby brine eggs you can always use those cute little seamonkey packets from your local novelty/toy store.

Do the dead ones look abnormal at all? Curved in a C shape? Mouth stuck open? Fuzzy gills?

Do the dead ones look abnormal at all? Curved in a C shape? Mouth stuck open? Fuzzy gills?

They kind of looked swollen I guess? I don't know if that is what they normally look like when they start to decompose or what.

So my fry are officially two weeks old today. I haven't had any deaths until yesterday morning. There were two deaths yesterday and one that I found this morning. (I started out with a total of 14.) Is it normal for fry to all of a sudden start dying like this, or is something wrong? I'm afraid I'm not gonna have any left at this rate. :(

I think it's time to treat for flukes, as others have suggested. If you cannot find the prazi, get the Tetra Parasite Guard in the mean time while you order prazi. I don't think you want to wait much longer to treat.

I was looking for prazi yesterday because I heard you're supposed to treat for flukes at 2 weeks. They didn't have it at petsmart so I went to another pet store and he sold me a product called Copper Cure I saying it also works to treat flukes. I haven't used it yet though bc I'm not sure if it's safe for baby fry. I thought it would be best to wait and ask you guys if it's safe.

I haven't noticed any symptoms or anything like that, but then again they're really small so maybe I'm just not noticing? The ones that are still alive seem to be swimming just fine.

They're all in a 20g long tank with less than 6 inches of water. Since the water level is so low I can't fit my sponge filter in there yet. I've been doing small daily water changes to keep the water clean. I've been testing the water and haven't gotten any ammonia readings.

I haven't been able to find any brine shrimp eggs near me so I've been feeding them cooked egg yolks.

That's all I can think of, am I doing something wrong? I don't think it's normal to lose 4 fry in two days. :(

Don't use coppersafe. Copper is a vestige of times before when we didn't have as many options to choose, and can help some detrimental and chronic consequences.

Isn't two weeks about the time when congenital malformations start to appear and they start to die off?

Isn't two weeks about the time when congenital malformations start to appear and they start to die off?

Hi Elli,

I am not at all conversant when it comes to fry. I just know that it's understood to be crucial to start treating for flukes etc at that time, although I am sure you are right in that flukes can't possibly be the cause of death at this time. :)

I'm not arguing with you, just offering another possible explanation. I mean, my understanding is the reason goldfish lay SO many eggs is because they're not all going to survive.

I'm not arguing with you, just offering another possible explanation. I mean, my understanding is the reason goldfish lay SO many eggs is because they're not all going to survive.

I know :)

I was just saying I have no idea, and I am sure you are right. :rofl

Do you think that my fry are more prone to malformations because they are a cross between a ryukin and an oranda?

:hi The brine shrimp eggs can be ordered online….I got mine from Amazon. A small vial of them is pretty cheap…2.99 ish. I would start treating for flukes ASAP….I treated mine at 2 weeks and it was a little tough on them but they made it. There are some complaints that the liquid prazi pro is oily and makes it harder for the fry to breathe so some prefer the powder. I used the liquid because that's what I had. I just made sure that instead of squirting it directly into the tank that I put in a closed tupperware container with tank water then shook it like crazy to dissolve it well before adding to the tank.

I'm not sure what it is that's causing your losses. :hug But from reading other's stories, it seems that the period from 2-4 weeks is the most treacherous. I don't think that a Ryukin/Oranda cross would be by definition doomed…they made it this far…I would think most genetic malformations that are lethal would affect the fry very soon after hatching…and the other mutations like malformed fins are detected at later times because the fry are large enough to actually visualize the defects…but these things don't necessarily cause deaths. So, I'm going to guess flukes or hunger. Fingers crossed for the rest of your fry.

Oh, how do you do your water changes? Transfer method or partial w/c?

:hi The brine shrimp eggs can be ordered online.I got mine from Amazon. A small vial of them is pretty cheap2.99 ish. I would start treating for flukes ASAP.I treated mine at 2 weeks and it was a little tough on them but they made it. There are some complaints that the liquid prazi pro is oily and makes it harder for the fry to breathe so some prefer the powder. I used the liquid because that's what I had. I just made sure that instead of squirting it directly into the tank that I put in a closed tupperware container with tank water then shook it like crazy to dissolve it well before adding to the tank.

I'm not sure what it is that's causing your losses. :hug But from reading other's stories, it seems that the period from 2-4 weeks is the most treacherous. I don't think that a Ryukin/Oranda cross would be by definition doomedthey made it this farI would think most genetic malformations that are lethal would affect the fry very soon after hatchingand the other mutations like malformed fins are detected at later times because the fry are large enough to actually visualize the defectsbut these things don't necessarily cause deaths. So, I'm going to guess flukes or hunger. Fingers crossed for the rest of your fry.

Oh, how do you do your water changes? Transfer method or partial w/c?

I've been doing partial water changes using a piece of airline as a siphon.

The only reason I asked is because if it's flukes would it help to do 100% changes? :idont Almost like a QT. Shakaho (Sharon) suggested that I prepare two tubs of water and transfer the fry back and forth every other day to the fresh water then clean out the dirty water and get it ready for the next time. This method also helps the water temperature to be the same. I did this for the first 4-5 weeks, and I felt like it gave the fry excellent water conditions. I never realized how filthy a fry tank would get. I never fed egg yolk but just like the First Bites I used occasionally they both made a huge mess and cloudy water. I got two cheap sterilite tubs about 3 1/2 gallons each…with such small fry and only 10 this should be plenty of room for now. A 20g 6 in full is more water, but if it's too hard to change then maybe it would be easier to do a transfer then move back to the 20g when they are bigger. :idont Hope this helps!

How do you transfer them when they are that small? And if there are like hundreds of them? (taking notes for next time)

Shakaho said she scooped them up in her hands, but they are fast and I couldn't do it. I used a clear tupperware container and waited until they swam into it...guided them, etc. Now, I didn't have hundreds...just 34 and it took just about 25 minutes to complete the transfer each time. They got stronger as they got bigger, and I was more practiced. But, still it was very tedious. I just couldn't handle the cloudy water and even if I got the bottom clean I could never get the surface totally cleared...wiping it with papertowels did not help me at all and I couldn't use the baster for it either :idont

Sorry for you loss, I hear your frustration!!!

My last goldfish fry just died. I knew that there was a good chance that this would happen, but it still sucks. I hoped that at least ONE would survive. :(

I hope my fishies breed again soon so I can try again. I learned a lot this time so next time around I'm gonna be sure that I'm prepared.