Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stech

How to feed Frozen blood worms

Got Hikari Frozen Blood Worms. What's ideal way to feed. Let it thaw in a cup or just drop it directly into the tank? I understand there will it'll release more phospate if directly into the tank and it'll be bit cold for fish to eat.

What I do is throw it straight into the tank. Hope that helps :)

I put my cubes straight into the tank and let them thaw there. Since I have larger fish, I can add more cubes so that everyone has an equal chance. If your fish are smaller, try to break up the cubes a little bit and scatter them. Also make sure to turn off your filters when you feed so that your fish don't lose worms to the filter.

Edited by ChelseaM

I have a small ceramic hamster bowl that I use to feed my fish. First I scoop up a bit of tank water into the bowl, then I add a small chunk of frozen bloodworms, then I heat up the bowl in the microwave for about 5 seconds to thaw the worms.

I use a fork to break apart the worms and let the water sit for a minute to cool off. When the water's cooled, I pour it all into the tank.

Sometimes, I use the fork to put a couple of worms into the tank to see how hungry my fish are, before dumping the entire bowl-full.

Also, I always wash my hands before and after feeding bloodworms, because my skin breaks out in a rash if I touch them directly.

ok thanks I'm lazy so just drop it.

I either thaw mine in a cup of tank water and pour it into the tank or drop the cube into a cone feeder. Some of my fish like the cone feeders and some like to forage for the worms. If you use the cone feeders, you don't need to turn off your filters:)

Edited by jmetzger72

We all do different ways :)

I prefer hand feeding a frozen chunk. I just swoosh it in some tank water in a small dish to loosen it a little, then let them have at it. :D When it starts to get messy I take it out, let them catch up a little bit, and then feed the rest. I don't turn off the filters :peeka

We all do different ways :)

I prefer hand feeding a frozen chunk. I just swoosh it in some tank water in a small dish to loosen it a little, then let them have at it. :D When it starts to get messy I take it out, let them catch up a little bit, and then feed the rest. I don't turn off the filters :peeka

Be careful with handing the FBW, Jenna. Some people have been known to develop allergies to it because they handle them, or so I have read.

Edited by ChelseaM

I've read that too... so far so good :idont

I really should keep that in mind though if I do feel any type of reaction down the line :hmm

Thanks for the heads up :)

I drop frozen cubes into a cone feeder too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let them defrost in a ittle cup of tank water for a few minutes. Then I swoosh them all around the tank (filters off!) so it's like a bloodworm snow globe! The goldies love it when it rains bloodworms!! :rofl

I thaw mine in a shallow cup of tank water, then parcel them out with a toothpick. This way I know everyone has gotten at least some and they don't get to eat more than their fill.

Then I dump the rest into the big boy's tank because over-eating is not a problem with half a cube left and much bigger fish. :P

I put them frozen in a micromesh net and put them under the tap until they are completely thawed and rinsed. I've noticed if I put a bowl underneath and catch the water coming from the defrosting worms the colour of it makes me think its worthwhile doing this so that this isn't going into the tank.