Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

I have eggs!

I fed Waldo BBS only for probably at least a month. I fed several times a day, probably 4-5 times. Even when I went to feed the next time there was a few BBS swimming around from the previous feeding but I only had the one fry. You may need to feed more often? :idont

I don't remember when I put an airstone in but it wasn't for while. If you ready my Waldo fry thread I posted daily for quite a while and chronicled whenever I added/changed something. I'm sure I was boring people to tears but I did it in case I ever have more fry to raise. :teehee

Follow the instructions on your BBS as far as salt. If it's premixed you probably won't need to add any. I used tap water and didn't even need to use dechlorinator. Since it takes about 24 hours to hatch (it will take longer if the water is cold) the chlorine is gone by the time they hatch . . . . If it's really cold they might not hatch. Did you ever find a small heater? You may need one for the brine shrimp hatchery. :o

I fed Waldo BBS only for probably at least a month. I fed several times a day, probably 4-5 times. Even when I went to feed the next time there was a few BBS swimming around from the previous feeding but I only had the one fry. You may need to feed more often? :idont

I don't remember when I put an airstone in but it wasn't for while. If you ready my Waldo fry thread I posted daily for quite a while and chronicled whenever I added/changed something. I'm sure I was boring people to tears but I did it in case I ever have more fry to raise. :teehee

Follow the instructions on your BBS as far as salt. If it's premixed you probably won't need to add any. I used tap water and didn't even need to use dechlorinator. Since it takes about 24 hours to hatch (it will take longer if the water is cold) the chlorine is gone by the time they hatch . . . . If it's really cold they might not hatch. Did you ever find a small heater? You may need one for the brine shrimp hatchery. :o

I'm going to go and read through your entire thread now, I imagine it will be very useful :)

I did find a tiny heater, though it's still big even though it's small haha. It says it heats up to 30 litres of water. I have t put it in yet since there are eyes, I figured the temperature must be okay :) how can I use the heater for the bbs? Should I put the bottles in a big tub of water and have the heater in the tub? Who'd have thought raising fry would be such an effort :rofl

Very exciting.

Congratulations.

Hope you post pics as they develope.

Very exciting.

Congratulations.

Hope you post pics as they develope.

Thank you :) I'll definitely post pictures, I'd like to be able to follow their growth from an egg to a fish haha :)

Hey Lis!

Congrats on your fry!

My fry are three weeks old today!

I too am feeding live baby brine shrimp and I def think they are better than anything else for them.

For my hatchery I snagged a vase from my mom and popped in a preset heater and an air stone. The heater keeps it around 80 degrees and they eggs hatch in approximately 12-14hrs for me.

I can take a pic of it if you would like....

Hey Lis!

Congrats on your fry!

I too am feeding live baby brine shrimp and I def think they are better than anything else for them.

For my hatchery I snagged a vase from my mom and popped in a preset heater and an air stone. The heater keeps it around 80 degrees and they eggs hatch in approximately 12-14hrs for me.

Congrats on the 3 week old fry! Do you know how many you have?

I've ordered my bbs eggs, so soon I shall hopefully have something to feed them with (that is of course if they hatch and survive the first three days, fingers crossed!).

I would love to see a picture, thank you :D

Edited by Lis.

I counted twenty something one day...so I probably have around thirty.....

I plan to take a new pic of them today when I get home and I'll post a pic of my makeshift hatchery too!

I'm almost set on setting up a 40b for two fry.....almost....

Just an update on the eggs :)

image_zps213e30d0.jpg

image_zps3026c6af.jpg

Your pics are fabulous. :o

Your pics are fabulous. :o

Thanks Lisa! :D It's only an iPad camera, but it's actually pretty good with stationary objects. Moving objects, however, are a completely different story :rofl

Hey Lis!

Congrats on your fry!

Congrats on the 3 week old fry! Do you know how many you have?

I've ordered my bbs eggs, so soon I shall hopefully have something to feed them with (that is of course if they hatch and survive the first three days, fingers crossed!).

I would love to see a picture, thank you :D

Heres the picture, it typically holds enough to have two to three feedings per day and then i dump and start over at night to have a fresh batch or the next day.

C26B5241-C6CE-4889-BB43-AFDB7FA6079E_zps

So you have a heater and an air stone in there? It looks easy enough to do :) I'm waiting for my bbs eggs to arrive, but the goldfish eggs haven't hatched yet so fingers crossed they make it in time :) I'm so excited! I just hope I don't mess up

A heater and some airline tubing are about all you need. :D Well, and something to put them in to hatch. :rofl

Lol, yep, the water is kept at around 80, which is why they hatch so fast for me.

The heater is just a preset tetra heater that i have had for years and have hardly used.

A heater and some airline tubing are about all you need. :D Well, and something to put them in to hatch. :rofl

I think I should be all sorted then :D I may set it up tomorrow just so that I know it's all ready :)

Jasmine, thank you so much for the picture! It was very helpful :)

I shall update you guys as soon as I have babies! :rofl

Sorry to bombard with photos, but I'm absolutely fascinated by these eggs :rofl

I saw the fry in the egg in the glass wriggle today! :heart

Can someone tell me what the pinky coloured thing is? Is that his/her stomach?

image_zps427c04b1.jpg

I should have used a heater in my hatchery…took SO long to hatch each batch. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Just keep a check on the temp b/c if it gets too hot it will kill them…think 80 is perfect!

If you are seeing them wiggle, it won't be long…probably today sometime. :D

I should have used a heater in my hatchery…took SO long to hatch each batch. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Just keep a check on the temp b/c if it gets too hot it will kill them…think 80 is perfect!

If you are seeing them wiggle, it won't be long…probably today sometime. :D

Yeah I wish I'd used a heater now, I think today is day 7 :o it's because my house is so cold, no fear of them getting too hot in here :rofl

Ohh exciting!!! :D I'm really excited, but at the same time I'm so worried that I'll mess up

I meant using a heater for the hatchery. As for the tank, it probably would have helped speed things along, but they did fine at 64-68*F. But, I did add a heater at about 1 month for the fry. I think they really appreciated it because they would huddle around it.

You'll do great. I had zero experience and haven't lost one yet. Others with a lot more knowledge and experience lose them for all kinds of reasons. In a way, I think there is a good bit of luck involved.

I meant using a heater for the hatchery. As for the tank, it probably would have helped speed things along, but they did fine at 64-68*F. But, I did add a heater at about 1 month for the fry. I think they really appreciated it because they would huddle around it.

You'll do great. I had zero experience and haven't lost one yet. Others with a lot more knowledge and experience lose them for all kinds of reasons. In a way, I think there is a good bit of luck involved.

Oops! Now that I read that back, it makes more sense :rofl

Okay, I'll add a heater for them later on down the line :)

I've been reading through fry threads...do you use the method of 2 containers and moving the fry from one to the other each day in order to give them fresh water? Also, I have high nitrates in my tap water...are they going to be okay?

Well done on not losing any! Have you had to cull any? I'm hoping I won't have to, I don't mind if they're a little funky looking aslong as it's not detrimental to their health :rofl

Oops! Now that I read that back, it makes more sense :rofl

Okay, I'll add a heater for them later on down the line :)

I've been reading through fry threads...do you use the method of 2 containers and moving the fry from one to the other each day in order to give them fresh water? Also, I have high nitrates in my tap water...are they going to be okay?

Well done on not losing any! Have you had to cull any? I'm hoping I won't have to, I don't mind if they're a little funky looking aslong as it's not detrimental to their health :rofl

The first week or so they will be okay in that water. They won't produce enough gunk to worry and they are so fragile that it makes w/c difficult. I did use the back and forth method for awhile until they needed more space, and I loved having absolutely fresh water for them each time. Shakaho recommends no filter until they are feeder sized. I bought sterilite tubs and waited on the airstone until they were bigger. Then they got moved to a 20 long and are such a good size now it is just like a regular w/c. I drain the water until there's only a touch covering their dorsals. They get a good 90% change daily. I'm in the process now of getting a big tub to split the group in half and maybe do water changes every other day. :idont

I have not culled any yet. I have 4 with deformed dorsals. I should have culled them early, but I didn't. Other than that they are all looking good. I'm sure a true breeder would find flaws that I don't see, but to have as a pet they are awesome!

Personally I have my fry in a marina breeder box on my aqueon evolve 8. The breeder box holds half a gallon but the water constantly circulates into and out of the breeder box via an itty bitty pump. I do have to baffle the incoming water or else it would over flow due to the fact that I have netting on the outflow to prevent babies from escaping out of the breeder box.

This tank has more stable parameters than my fifty five goldfish tank, nitrate always reads 0 and maintenance on this tank is practically none.

Almost every other day I try to siphon out gunk that collects on the bottom, I also have three ramshorn snails in with them to help clean up extra food and what not.

I haven't culled any yet either....I have three with deformed spines....and one of them has no tail! But gets along just fine!

There is one that I have my eye on though....he spine is fine but his dorsal fin is funky. He has two of them...the first one is more of a spike and the second one is a mini dorsal fin, I'm really hoping that his tail and body continue to develop normally and that his dorsal fins grow with him but remain the same....I think he is soo cool and he/ she will probably be one I keep as long as everything else is good!

Lis I can't wait to see your fry babies!

Edited by xjasminex

Personally I have my fry in a marina breeder box on my aqueon evolve 8. The breeder box holds half a gallon but the water constantly circulates into and out of the breeder box via an itty bitty pump. I do have to baffle the incoming water or else it would over flow due to the fact that I have netting on the outflow to prevent babies from escaping out of the breeder box.

This tank has more stable parameters than my fifty five goldfish tank, nitrate always reads 0 and maintenance on this tank is practically none.

Almost every other day I try to siphon out gunk that collects on the bottom, I also have three ramshorn snails in with them to help clean up extra food and what not.

I haven't culled any yet either....I have three with deformed spines....and one of them has no tail! But gets along just fine!

There is one that I have my eye on though....he spine is fine but his dorsal fin is funky. He has two of them...the first one is more of a spike and the second one is a mini dorsal fin, I'm really hoping that his tail and body continue to develop normally and that his dorsal fins grow with him but remain the same....I think he is soo cool and he/ she will probably be one I keep as long as everything else is good!

Lis I can't wait to see your fry babies!

I have most of the eggs sat in a small tank at the minute (no idea how big, I'd guess less than 20 litres though) and 2 eggs in a drinking glass. Will they be okay in the drinking glass for a while or should I move them into the tank?

I feel the need to go and get 2 tubs and move them all into one when they hatch and swap them over every day, I just don't feel that the small tank is clean enough (knowing there were mouldy eggs in there makes me think the whole tank is gross). But if they're too small and fragile, I can't move them, or can I?

I just took another look, and drinking glass egg fry (I don't even know what I'm saying anymore :rofl ) was having another wiggle! IT'S SO CUTE!!! I feel attached to that one because its the easiest to see haha.

I'd love to see a picture of your double dorsal baby when it's big enough! I really hope I don't get any really bad deformities, I hate killing things. My mum's trying to convince me to set up ponds in the barns so that I can keep them :rofl I'm starting to question who the goldfish lover in this family actually is...:rofl

I'm so excited too! And I really appreciate all of the advice yourself, Erin and Lisa have given me, I'm feeling much less worried than I thought I'd be :)

Here is a pic Lis, he was holding still enough when i was feeding them!

1162500E-23B8-4D3B-8202-31487BD94FE9_zps

Oh gosh, that's so cute! How old are they? Ohh I want mine to look like mini fish NOW! :rofl