Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

I have eggs!

How small is small? This morning I noticed that what I thought were air bubbles on some of the plant leaves had gone fuzzy. But they were really tiny, less than a millimeter. Today's W/C day and my plan is to just wipe off the fuzz and watch the fish for any odd behavour in case the fuzz is infectious. But could it be eggs gone bad?

I have no idea what the tiny fuzzy things you found in your tank are :idont I hope it turns out to be nothing though :)

The eggs are maybe 2-3mm wide? They're definitely from the goldfish, they were performing breeding behaviour when I looked, and there's no one else in there to lay eggs :)

Thanks! Since they weren't there last night and I'm getting rid of it today I'm hoping things will be fine. :undecided:

Alicia I can't remember what you said the eggs are on...a plant? Most of mine were on a silk plant and I just moved the whole plant to its own tub. I found the eggs to be really sticky and couldn't get them off with a baster. Then after I was sure they all hatched, I took the plant out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I did. Mine were sprayed ALL OVER this huge three foot plant and a couple rocks. I just moved them to their own tank.

Alicia I can't remember what you said the eggs are on...a plant? Most of mine were on a silk plant and I just moved the whole plant to its own tub. I found the eggs to be really sticky and couldn't get them off with a baster. Then after I was sure they all hatched, I took the plant out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The majority of the eggs were on the java moss which is in most of my pictures of my fish, so I took it out and put it in a small tank. Unfortunately I don't think any of them are fertile, nearly all of them have gone white. I have one in a drinking glass that hasn't gone white, and I can't work out whether there is something in there or not so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one :) there are also a few in the main tank that look promising, but the chance of me catching them hatching is pretty slim :/ Edited by Lis.

Keep the faith!! I only counted 8 eggs with eyes, and when they started hatching eggs must have been hiding all over…because I ended up with 34. :teehee

Well guys...I HAVE EYES! The egg in the drinking glass, I can see it's eyes :o:D

How exciting! :D:clapping:

I know, I'm so excited!! Just looked at it now I'm home, it's 100% got eyes :rofl I don't know what to do when I hatches though, here it is! I'll be absolutely gutted if it dies now that I've seen it's eyes haha

image_zps1d839d36.jpg

Squee! Any of the others have eyes?

Not that I can see :/ there is actually another egg in the glass, but it's got bits of sand stuck to it, so I can't see if there's anything in it. It's not white though, so fingers crossed :) the ones in the main tank are being picked off one by one, which I guess is a good thing because I don't want any to hatch and then get eaten.

I feel like I'm getting attached to this one egg, but I know I shouldn't :rofl

:rockon

That's awesome! The first few days you won't need to feed it anything as it will eat its yolk sac. But ya might want to start looking into where you can find some brine shrimp eggs. :D

It's so fun watching them hunt down the little brine shrimpies. Dang it, you are making me have maternal stirrings. :rofl

:clapping: yay! Not sure how I missed four pages but.... Congrats granny! :nana

:rockon

That's awesome! The first few days you won't need to feed it anything as it will eat its yolk sac. But ya might want to start looking into where you can find some brine shrimp eggs. :D

Oh that's good news then! Would this be okay? Or do I need live ones?

It's so fun watching them hunt down the little brine shrimpies. Dang it, you are making me have maternal stirrings. :rofl

I'm feeling pretty maternal now that I know there is a fry inside :rofl

:clapping: yay! Not sure how I missed four pages but.... Congrats granny! :nana

Thank you :D I'm feeling so old :rofl

You get the eggs and hatch them. :lol2

It's like a science experiment in your kitchen. :rofl3

Once you find the eggs, I'll post a pic and let you know how to make the hatchery. It was quite simple. Even I figured it out. :tomuch: I don't have a crafty bone in my body. :teehee

You get the eggs and hatch them. :lol2

It's like a science experiment in your kitchen. :rofl3

Once you find the eggs, I'll post a pic and let you know how to make the hatchery. It was quite simple. Even I figured it out. :tomuch: I don't have a crafty bone in my body. :teehee

Sorry, I was meant to paste a link to something then, but they weren't live, how about this though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobby-Dohse-Artemix-Artemia-Brine-Shrimp/dp/B000RRQYDS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1395412673&sr=8-3&keywords=Brine+shrimp+eggs does that seem a little expensive, or is that just the general price for brine shrimp eggs? (I used to call them sea monkeys until I joined Koko's :rofl )

Thanks Lisa! I'm also not very good at DIY, so this should be interesting :rofl

Is decapsulated better? I feel like I've entered a whole new world here :rofl

I thought all the eggs in the small tank were white, so I haven't looked at it in a day or so. Had a look tonight, and I'm seeing lots of this...

image_zpscb327e51.jpg

So now I'm sat here with a lamp over the tank, cutting off and removing the white and fluffy eggs

:rofl3. You're gonn a have hundreds of fry. :rofl

I have no idea if decapsulated is better. :idont. And I would say that is a good price. I paid $6 for 6 grams. :o

:rofl3. You're gonn a have hundreds of fry. :rofl

I have no idea if decapsulated is better. :idont. And I would say that is a good price. I paid $6 for 6 grams. :o

Well hopefully I'll have some that survive then :D

Okay, I'll get those :)

What do I need to do when they hatch?

What should the water level be? How often do I change water?

How much do I change?

When do I need to treat for flukes? I don't have prazipro, I use kusuri wormer plus - will this work and be as safe for the fry as prazipro?

I can't think of anymore questions right now :rofl thank you for your help Lisa :)

I've bought the baby brine shrimp eggs, and I've checked the kusuri wormer plus and it says it's safe for use with fry that are a week old, so that's what I'll use :)

Edited by Lis.

When they hatch you don't need to do anything. :rofl. For the first couple of days they just hang around. I suppose once they hatch you could get your hatchery set up. It takes about 24 hours for them to hatch.

I kept the water level at about 6 inches for quite a while, like weeks. You won't really need to change the water much at first. You will just siphon up left over food with a turkey blaster or airline tubing.

I did my first round of Prazi at one week and then the second round about 2 weeks later. :)

For the hatchery you will need a couple 2 liter plastic bottles, airline tubing (if you can get some rigid airline tubing as well as regular tubing that makes things a little easier. If you can't find rigid tubing, you can use drinking straws), an air pump, aquarium salt, and some sort of desk lamp. I used an incandescent bulb which kept the water at about 72*. It needs to be on the warm side to get them to hatch. :)

When they hatch you don't need to do anything. :rofl. For the first couple of days they just hang around. I suppose once they hatch you could get your hatchery set up. It takes about 24 hours for them to hatch.

I kept the water level at about 6 inches for quite a while, like weeks. You won't really need to change the water much at first. You will just siphon up left over food with a turkey blaster or airline tubing.

I did my first round of Prazi at one week and then the second round about 2 weeks later. :)

Okay, so, this is my plan (I need a plan or else I'll panic haha)...

Do nothing for the first 2 days

Day 3 set up brine shrimp hatchery

Day 4 feed - how many times a day should I feed? Is just bbs okay? Or do they need other things?

Day 7 - first treatment for flukes

Do I put an air stone in as soon as they start hatching?

So I don't need to do any water changes for a while, that's good :)

Can you tell I'm a fish time grandma? :rofl

For the hatchery you will need a couple 2 liter plastic bottles, airline tubing (if you can get some rigid airline tubing as well as regular tubing that makes things a little easier. If you can't find rigid tubing, you can use drinking straws), an air pump, aquarium salt, and some sort of desk lamp. I used an incandescent bulb which kept the water at about 72*. It needs to be on the warm side to get them to hatch. :)

I have all of those except for the straws, but they won't be hard to come across :) the bbs I've bought says its premixed with salt...do I still need to add more salt?

I'm worried I'll struggle to keep it warm since my house is always freezing, but I'll try my best. Am I right in thinking I need to use bottled water? I remember when I used to have sea monkeys, tap water would kill them

Thanks again Lisa, you're a star :D