Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

I have eggs!

Just for the record for anyone interested I've treated fry from day one with prazi with no problem (; you're doing a fantastic job lis keep it up (: as for the not eating them part, they might just not be hungry? I'm not sure about that I know ive seen my fry and adults do that from time to time. Usually with the adults I think they just already have a mouthful and can't help themselves lmao

Just for the record for anyone interested I've treated fry from day one with prazi with no problem (; you're doing a fantastic job lis keep it up (: as for the not eating them part, they might just not be hungry? I'm not sure about that I know ive seen my fry and adults do that from time to time. Usually with the adults I think they just already have a mouthful and can't help themselves lmao

Thank you :) I treated them for flukes at around 1 week, then again yesterday (my older fry are 22 days old, younger ones are 20 days old). I have been upping the amount I feed, but I would've thought if they weren't hungry they wouldn't try to eat them in the first place :/ I hope you're right though! :)

Goldfish are always "hungry" atleast they think they are. Just keep and eye on them. If something were wrong with them I'm not sure there would be too much you can do other than prazi because they're so young. If I were you I'd expect some losses especially with so many. Natural selection at its best. In the end you'll still end up with a ton of babies

I have lost some fry, but I'm still looking at around 300 fry, it sounds terrible but I could do with a few dying off :rofl I shall keep an eye on them, hopefully it's just fry being weird :) haha thanks Katie :)

Lol it does sound bad but I know where you're coming from. I've never had to deal with the numbers you're dealing with but I've had some big die offs. One of my first batches was only about 30 and I ended up with only four. Three of which I still have and they're huge now almost ready for babies of their own. I only have six fry from three different batches None of which were very big at all lol

I noticed Waldo doing that at one week and that is why I treated him for flukes at that age. It took a couple days before he stopped doing it. :)

I noticed Waldo doing that at one week and that is why I treated him for flukes at that age. It took a couple days before he stopped doing it. :)

That's reassuring, thanks Lisa :) I've been increasing the amount of food being given to them, so hopefully I'll see a growth spurt soon :)

I haven't updated in a while, so here are some pictures of the fry guys before their dinner :D

imagejpg1_zps8a9f77e6.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsf2d7bc1b.jpg

imagejpg1_zps9e7f279a.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsc2892d2a.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsa9fbfdeb.jpg

How cute! Some of them look really chubby lol.

Some of them are much bigger than the others :) some of them are still tiny, I don't understand how they can still be so small haha

:nana You have so many! :rofl3

:nana You have so many! :rofl3

I have lost some in the last couple of weeks, maybe around 20? :idont so that brings me to around 300 :rofl

How cute! Some of them look really chubby lol.

Some of them are much bigger than the others :) some of them are still tiny, I don't understand how they can still be so small haha
Lol my fry are the same way, most of them are pretty close to the same size and then there's a few porkers in there. xD

Err, squee! :rofl

Have you decided how many you're going to keep?

They look great Lis!!

they look great Lis :D:heart

Err, squee! :rofl

Have you decided how many you're going to keep?

Haha, thanks Dan! I'm definitely going to keep one, but if I struggle choosing between 2, then I'll keep 2 :) I'd be able to squeeze them into the new tank, but no more than 2 :)

They look great Lis!!

Thank you! :D they're not growing as well as I would like, but I think it has something to do with there being so many of them. They're doing okay though :)

they look great Lis :D:heart

Thanks Elisa! :D Edited by Lis.

I've not been very good with updates haha.

They're over a month old now. I still have 292 of the initial 317 fry. They aren't growing as well as I'd like, though I'm not sure how fast they're meant to grow anyway. Hatching enough bbs to raise nearly 300 fry is a challenge in itself. Anyway, they're doing okay, some are really growing well :) I'm also giving them crushed hikari lionhead pellets and daphnia to try and give them enough food. They actually demolished some soilent green last night haha.

imagejpg1_zps2188a4f9.jpg

:thud. Time for that pond. :rofl. Maybe just build a moat. :lol

I have had 2 sets already and learned a lot fast from losing most, but having some take until I messed up and didn't remove old eggs or do methylene blue. I'm not sure in a tank, but I know a few things are good:

-70 degree water with little/no fluctuation.

- Eyes on Day 2 (along with a subtle spine)

- Hatch on Day 4 (on the dot for me at 70 degrees)

- I rinsed mine, but had collected them in a baking dish handbreeding. I did put prime and only 2 inches of water.

- Shallow water less than 6" helps them get to the surface quick to fill their swim bladder. If they don't do this, they die.

- Remove ANY and ALL eggs or the others will die, even after they hatch. The bad eggs spoil the water. I learned the last time to use tweezers and a baster. To avoid hurting the live fry.

- Mine hatched this way, but died while I was away during the day and came home and the water was yellow from the fungus eggs that had been infertile, but not removed.

- Be okay if you lose them. Hatching and raising fry is apparently heartbreaking and challenging for even seasoned breeders. I have decided to wait awhile. I cried when the little fry died after they had already hatched.

Hope that helps. This advice is all backed up by my Goldfish books, which have been right so far about everything they've said. Also, the egg advice worked for me twice, except I didn't listen about removing the infertile/fungus/white eggs. I thought they weren't close enough. I didn't realize they could poison the water itself.

Tiff

Sorry, I thought the whole thread was new, not just the last post. :( Oops!

Are you culling? I've heard that is crucial or the good ones suffer because the poor quality ones are using resources. I think Jennie, at Solid Goldfish on YouTube, has great videos with what their development should look like.

They are so adorable!!! I wish mine had gotten that far. I'd have some butterfly tails forming by now.

Congrats!!!!

Tiff

:clapping: Enjoy the journey! I hope you get to see them grow up.

Sorry, I thought the whole thread was new, not just the last post. :( Oops!

Are you culling? I've heard that is crucial or the good ones suffer because the poor quality ones are using resources. I think Jennie, at Solid Goldfish on YouTube, has great videos with what their development should look like.

They are so adorable!!! I wish mine had gotten that far. I'd have some butterfly tails forming by now.

Congrats!!!!

Tiff

Thanks Tiff :)

I understand the purpose of culling, but I don't want to kill them when I am wholly responsible for their existence (I had no intention of breeding)As I said, they're doing okay, I've lost very few in relation to how many I started with, so I must be doing something right :) now that they're getting bigger, it's proving easier to feed them larger foods anyway :)

I totally understand not wanting to cull them. :) Could you separate out the few that show exceptional promise so they can grow better? That's what I was planning on doing. :) Like a "pet" tank vs. a "breeding quality" tank.

I love them all. They really are beautiful, regardless of show quality.

Tiff

I totally understand not wanting to cull them. :) Could you separate out the few that show exceptional promise so they can grow better? That's what I was planning on doing. :) Like a "pet" tank vs. a "breeding quality" tank.

I love them all. They really are beautiful, regardless of show quality.

Tiff

That's not a bad idea, though I already have 6 tanks running and I live with my parents, so I can't really keep setting up more (I get my new tank in June so I'll be shutting down 4 tanks). When that happens, I'll be moving the fry into a 40g, and then I'll work things out from there :)