Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

I have eggs!

255 posts in this topic

I think I may treat tomorrow then. Then some will be 8 days and the others will be 6 :)

I've noticed that some eat, whereas others seem to be oblivious to the bbs, even though they're no longer clinging onto the glass...should I be concerned? :idont

They may have deformed mouths. :idont

They may have deformed mouths. :idont

That's so sad :(

they don't seem to be paying attention to it or anything though, strange. I can see lots of full tums though, so that's reassuring :) hopefully the others will gain an appetite

Is the water still pretty cold?

Is the water still pretty cold?

No, I have a heater in with them now :)

The iPad camera quality is awful, but here's a quick clip of the fry :)

They've got the "hover and dart" thing down! :wub:

:rofl

imagejpg1_zps5de9afc6.jpg

imagejpg1_zps9b9c4f77.jpg

:wub: Seems like only yesterday Waldo was that size. :teehee

They are looking good! :nana

:wub: Seems like only yesterday Waldo was that size. :teehee

They are looking good! :nana

Aww little Waldo :wub: I imagine it felt much more special with just one fry :heart

Most of them are looking really well, but the odd ones just make me sad.

I'm feeding 3 times a day, is that enough? Also, when should I add an air stone? I treated them for flukes today too :)

I'd have to look back at my thread and see when I added an airstone . . . :idont

If you can feed 4-5 times per day at this age. Waldo pretty much had food available about 18 hours per day. :Scoff:

:rofl

Looks like I added the airstone at about 1 week so anytime you're ready. :D

Thanks Lisa :D I'll up the feedings and I'll go to my lfs tomorrow and get a new air pump (the one I have now is big and really noisy), then I can drop an air stone in tomorrow :)

They're so cuuuuuuute!!!!

Awww, that video was just great, and look at how cute they are close up! :D

Hope mine get so far too! They are cute cute cute!!!!

What is the best way to do a water change?

The bottom of the tank is gross, again. A lot of the fry spend quite a bit of time near the bottom (I'm presuming this is because this is where most of their food is found) and I hate to see them hovering around where the dirt is. I want to do a 100% water change ideally. Last time I scooped every single one out with a spoon, and it took me around 3 hours :rofl I have a very fine net, I was thinking I could maybe chase them into a container using the net? I also have a few badly deformed fry that I'm going to have to take out.

Any advice would be great :)

Edited by Lis.

I think Erin scooped hers out with her hand but she had 34 not 300. :rofl I think corralling them into a container is a great idea.

How is it going with the BBS? :idont

I think Erin scooped hers out with her hand but she had 34 not 300. :rofl I think corralling them into a container is a great idea.

How is it going with the BBS? :idont

In the end I decided to just get the deformed ones out, and sucked up as much of the dirt from the bottom as I could.

The bbs are going okay, although I'm concerned as to how many egg casings are getting into the tank :/

I didn't realise how bad the bottom had got, there's fluffy stuff, and a couple of the fry have it stuck to them and I can't get it off :/ I'm feeling ever so slightly overwhelmed, I'm worried that anything I do is going to kill them all :/

I haven't been doing water changes every day (I thought with them being so small, it'd be okay) but I'm going to start doing them every day, especially with them eating bbs.

The fluffy stuff can be flukes. They reproduce building up a net of eggs and it seems like cotton threads. They get attached to the fish or whatever they can feed from, so it results almost impossible to take it out. When you watch it under a microscope, the eggs are pretty big, but the nasty little parasite is very tiny and runs all around. I've done an experiment and watched how quickly they die with prazi, and it's around 20 min more or less. I think you should begin with prazi or do another round of it.

I didn't think it was flukes, but I'll treat them again today, thank you Rhea! :)

I didn't think it was flukes, but I'll treat them again today, thank you Rhea! :)

Maybe you should wait a bit until someone else gives you the same diagnosis. I'm new into breeding, so I don't know all the tricks.

Maybe you should wait a bit until someone else gives you the same diagnosis. I'm new into breeding, so I don't know all the tricks.

I'm pretty sure it's not flukes :) I treated them not long ago, and the stuff that was stuck to them, there was some of it on the bottom of the tank. I've managed to get it off most of them (only 3 or 4 had it).

Just done a 100% water change :)

This was the first 100 I fished out :)

imagejpg1_zpsbc0eee31.jpg

And here is all 317 of the healthy fry :)

imagejpg1_zpsab68d9a3.jpg

Seems I did get it wrong last time I counted. This time there's 317 healthy fry, and around a dozen severely deformed fry.

Edited by Lis.

Wow! You are overachieving Lis. Fantastic survival rate.

Wow! You are overachieving Lis. Fantastic survival rate.

Thank you Susanne! I was feeling very overwhelmed with it yesterday, but you saying that makes me feel much better :)

Having a nice clean tank makes me feel better too :rofl