Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Lis.

I have eggs!

255 posts in this topic

Are any of them clear?

Are any of them clear?

Yes a few are clear, though not many. I'm not sure how long they'll stay clear for though, I found one earlier in the main tank that was clear (there are lots still in the main tank), but when I looked at it a couple of hours later it was turning white, so I think the others will probably be white by morning, but it would be nice if they didn't :D haha

Well, fingers crossed. :)

I'm sorry they don't seem fertile, but you never know. You might get lucky!

I'm sorry they don't seem fertile, but you never know. You might get lucky!

Hopefully! If not, there's always next time :)

:) define "lucky".....

getting attached to 20 or more cute little fry? Having to house that many? Having to part with them?

I think Lisa lucked out by getting one to raise & keep :) I would get attached so easily....... :)

I'm sorry that this first batch didn't work out, but don't worry, when they spawn once, they will do so again. You'll have your chance to be a grandma very soon!!!

:) define "lucky".....

getting attached to 20 or more cute little fry? Having to house that many? Having to part with them?

I think Lisa lucked out by getting one to raise & keep :) I would get attached so easily....... :)

You have a point. But the biologist in me would love to raise a batch of fry. Unfortunately while I've seen lots of spawning behaviour I've never noticed any eggs.

Yes, having eggs hatch would be very exciting!!

It'll happen, and sooner than you think! :rofl

Haha, thanks guys :)

I've been staring at some of the eggs for a while now (it's hurting my eyes), and there are some that haven't gone white and MAY have tiny eyes (though that could just be because they're sat on a dark surface), unfortunately these are in the main tank...is there any way I can get them out without destroying them?

Are they on something or just the glass? I don't know that there is a good way to remove them if they are on the glass. Could you put something in front of them to make it more difficult to eat them? :o

Are they on something or just the glass? I don't know that there is a good way to remove them if they are on the glass. Could you put something in front of them to make it more difficult to eat them? :o

There are some on the glass that haven't gone white, but I can't see any eyes in them. There are some on some gravel and rocks that look like they may have something (though like I said, I'm not sure if it's just because the surface they're on is dark). I would leave them, but I don't like the idea of babies hatching and then being eaten haha.

If they haven't gone white by now, does that mean they must be fertile? I still can't get over how small these eggs are haha

I would think at least some of them are fertile. When i found Waldo's egg on the filter intake, I was very :hmm on whether there were eyes. I had the flashlight out, squishing my nose against the glass. Finally I asked Colin to look. Do you see black in there or is it just me? He said he thought he saw black. :nana Even once the egg was in the 10 gallon, I was sure it wouldn't hatch. It turned kinda yellow looking and looked almost dried out (yes, dried out underwater :rofl ). I had given up but in all my laziness procrastinated in putting the tank away. :idont

You could try and get some of the gravel out I guess. Could you move a plant in front of the ones on the glass? :idont

Oh exciting. :teehee

I would think at least some of them are fertile. When i found Waldo's egg on the filter intake, I was very :hmm on whether there were eyes. I had the flashlight out, squishing my nose against the glass. Finally I asked Colin to look. Do you see black in there or is it just me? He said he thought he saw black. :nana Even once the egg was in the 10 gallon, I was sure it wouldn't hatch. It turned kinda yellow looking and looked almost dried out (yes, dried out underwater :rofl ). I had given up but in all my laziness procrastinated in putting the tank away. :idont

You could try and get some of the gravel out I guess. Could you move a plant in front of the ones on the glass? :idont

Oh exciting. :teehee

How did you get little Waldo from the intake to the 10g?

My tank is quite deep, and I'm quite small, so I'm concerned that in my efforts the get the gravel out I may squash the eggs :/ I guess I could take the egg on the rock out though :) I have an egg that hasn't gone white sat in a drinking glass in my dining room at the minute :rofl

What's the lowest temperature that they can hatch at? I'm just thinking, my house is really quite cold, so maybe that's why things haven't worked out/some eggs are taking longer. It's 13.5 degrees in the room with the egg in the glass :/ I've got a feeling you're going to tell me that's too cold... :(

I'm going to get a tiny heater for the next time they spawn, and then I'll be ready :) haha.

It's a good thing you were lazy about putting the tank away eh :rofl

Once they do hatch, they kind of hover near their egg for a little while so it would be easy to scoop them in a cup and move them.

Once they do hatch, they kind of hover near their egg for a little while so it would be easy to scoop them in a cup and move them.

Well that's reassuring :) I guess I could leave them in there, and just hope that (if) they hatch, I'm in the house haha. I do check numerous times during the evening to see if there's any change haha

That is true. As long as they don't get eaten. :yikes And if you do that be careful not to break their back. :D

That is really cold. I don't know if they would hatch that low or not. :o I know Erin (FishWish) had water in the 64* range with her fry and they did fine. She did eventually add a heater and noticed they were more active. If you see eyes, it might be worth grabbing a betta tank heater. I think mine was about $8 and I used it for quite a while. :idont

I have 2 intakes connected to each other on my AC fitlers. So I just turned the filters off and removed the bottom intake, placing hte whole thing in the 10 gallon. And i checked to see if the egg/eyes were still there about every 5 minutes. :rofl That's how I figure out he hatched. I looked before walking the dog one night. Eyes in the egg? Check. Looked again once we were back. Eyes in the egg? Nope. :yikes:rofl3

Hey Alicia! Your fish as absolutely beautiful…so your babies are going to be gorgeous! I had 34 fry hatch on Jan 15th. Lisa and I have been pretty much on the same schedule as Waldo is about a week younger than mine. This is my very first experience with eggs, fry, and the whole thing.

I moved my eggs to their own tank, and saw fuzz with in 2 days. The temp was very low…probably 64*F and they hatched in 5 days. I was surprised…thought it would take longer.

If you read my thread, I kind of chronicled the first few weeks pretty closely.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115404-nemo-and-nola-have-babies/

I can't wait to see what hatches!!!

:rofl Her ears must have been ringing. I mention her name and here she is. :rofl

That is true. As long as they don't get eaten. :yikes And if you do that be careful not to break their back. :D

That is really cold. I don't know if they would hatch that low or not. :o I know Erin (FishWish) had water in the 64* range with her fry and they did fine. She did eventually add a heater and noticed they were more active. If you see eyes, it might be worth grabbing a betta tank heater. I think mine was about $8 and I used it for quite a while. :idont

I have 2 intakes connected to each other on my AC fitlers. So I just turned the filters off and removed the bottom intake, placing hte whole thing in the 10 gallon. And i checked to see if the egg/eyes were still there about every 5 minutes. :rofl That's how I figure out he hatched. I looked before walking the dog one night. Eyes in the egg? Check. Looked again once we were back. Eyes in the egg? Nope. :yikes:rofl3

"Be careful not to break their back" :yikes no pressure then :rofl

Yeah my house is freezing (it's a 15th/16th century house so it's always freezing :rofl). I'm waiting for a couple of my mums friends to come round, but when they've been, I'll nip down to my lfs and get a betta tank heater :) then I'll try and remove all the white eggs (there's a lot) from the little tank, and pop a heater in there :)

That's what I'll be like if I do get any with eyes, I'll constantly be checking up on it :rofl

How old should goldfish be if they're able to breed? For some reason I thought mine were too young (they're all over a year old, though I'd be surprised if they were pushing 2, but I guess they could be). I've always seen them as my babies, so the idea of my babies having babies is really strange :rofl

Hey Alicia! Your fish as absolutely beautiful…so your babies are going to be gorgeous! I had 34 fry hatch on Jan 15th. Lisa and I have been pretty much on the same schedule as Waldo is about a week younger than mine. This is my very first experience with eggs, fry, and the whole thing.

I moved my eggs to their own tank, and saw fuzz with in 2 days. The temp was very low…probably 64*F and they hatched in 5 days. I was surprised…thought it would take longer.

If you read my thread, I kind of chronicled the first few weeks pretty closely.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115404-nemo-and-nola-have-babies/

I can't wait to see what hatches!!!

Thank you Erin! :D

You've done very well to have so many hatch on your first attempt :) I don't think I'm going to have any haha.

I'm also starting to see some fuzz, but I'll get rid of those later today :) I'm going to have a read through your thread now, thank you very much for providing it :D

How small is small? This morning I noticed that what I thought were air bubbles on some of the plant leaves had gone fuzzy. But they were really tiny, less than a millimeter. Today's W/C day and my plan is to just wipe off the fuzz and watch the fish for any odd behavour in case the fuzz is infectious. But could it be eggs gone bad?

How small is small? This morning I noticed that what I thought were air bubbles on some of the plant leaves had gone fuzzy. But they were really tiny, less than a millimeter. Today's W/C day and my plan is to just wipe off the fuzz and watch the fish for any odd behavour in case the fuzz is infectious. But could it be eggs gone bad?

I have no idea what the tiny fuzzy things you found in your tank are :idont I hope it turns out to be nothing though :)

The eggs are maybe 2-3mm wide? They're definitely from the goldfish, they were performing breeding behaviour when I looked, and there's no one else in there to lay eggs :)

Would a pipette or turkey baster work for removing the eggs?

Would a pipette or turkey baster work for removing the eggs?

Pretty sure I don't have either of those :rofl but I imagine they probably would work :)