Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

For those who have raised fry...

I would love if you would share your stories of the final outcome of your fry and your experience...

Was it an intentional or accidental breeding? What did you choose to do with the fry after you raised them? At what age did they leave you? How did you feel about their new home?

The fry I have are currently almost 2 months old. I have 34, and it was not an intentional breeding. As they are growing bigger, I am beginning to weigh my options for them...and I would love to hear others' stories.

I had an Oscar that I fed a bunch of unwanted single tail fry. I currently have a dozen fancy fry. I gave a couple away and will throw a few into my pond in the Spring. My fry were the result of nature taking it's course. I woukdnt call it intentional or unintentional. Although, I did help the process succeed by putting eggs into a small tank where they would not get eaten.

For me, it all started one day when I found a fry swimming in the grownup goldfish tank during feeding time. I sat by the tank for at least an hour searching for more and found a total of 5.

After that, I gave handspawning a try and continued to rescue fry as I kept finding them in the tank weeks after the first time. After many, many weeks/months of nonstop spawning, as hard as it was to walk away, I stopped rescuing fry from the tank.

I started with about 50 fry and after some culling(euthanization), cannibalism, and accidents (pre-filter sponge falling off and sucking fry in D: ), I had 16 fry that I raised until they were 4-5 months old. I found them homes through my goldfish tumblr and shipped them all out. I figured if anyone was willing to pay the >$35 shipping fee for a baby goldfish, they must have serious intentions to give it proper care.

As of today, they're all happily living in their new homes and I get occasional picture updates on tumblr :D super win-win.

For me, it all started one day when I found a fry swimming in the grownup goldfish tank during feeding time. I sat by the tank for at least an hour searching for more and found a total of 5.

After that, I gave handspawning a try and continued to rescue fry as I kept finding them in the tank weeks after the first time. After many, many weeks/months of nonstop spawning, as hard as it was to walk away, I stopped rescuing fry from the tank.

I started with about 50 fry and after some culling(euthanization), cannibalism, and accidents (pre-filter sponge falling off and sucking fry in D: ), I had 16 fry that I raised until they were 4-5 months old. I found them homes through my goldfish tumblr and shipped them all out. I figured if anyone was willing to pay the >$35 shipping fee for a baby goldfish, they must have serious intentions to give it proper care.

As of today, they're all happily living in their new homes and I get occasional picture updates on tumblr :D super win-win.

Neat story! Thanks for sharing.

I didn't even realize that I had fry, until I found one (the size of a dime), living in my floating plant net! :o Lol! I now have two fry, and they're still with me. I love them sooooo much! :heart

I approached our small local fish store today about the possibility of them taking some of my fry. They will when they are a little bigger. Not sure how I feel about it. :idont Not sure I have a ton of options either. Several parents I know claim they would take "some" off of my hands, but I know the fry will just end up in a bowl. At least at the LFS, they have a chance. :idont

My oldest (5 1/2 yrs.) assumed we would be putting all 34 fry into the 29g main tank! Oh brother! :no:

Are there online options for selling/giving away live animals? I'm not familiar with tumblr. I think using the shipping fee as a deterrent is a great idea.

Both times that my fish had fry (once about 8 years ago and different fish just about a month ago) I ended up with only one fry so of course I had to keep it. :rofl

Good luck finding homes. The shipping idea is a great one!!! :)