Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sara Shissler

Mating behavior gone bad--female is weak

Hello!

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I think my three goldfish are at the beginning of spawning. I have one female and two males.

The problem is, I've been treating them with Prazi and Medi-Gold, and the female is somewhat weak. She seems to be the most affected by the infections.

This weekend I had to remove one of the males because he wouldn't stop attacking her and biting her tail, which was already damaged and split by the flukes. I just now had to separate the second male as well because he started doing the same thing, just not as bad. He was mostly nosing around her anus, but he was also taking nips and causing more damage to the tail, which is now a mess.

I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like the vent is more open than usual. Is she going to be okay by herself? Does she need the males around to release the eggs, or is there something else I can do for her? It's too bad this had to happen now. I don't think she can handle them.

Then funny thing is I have a divider in the tank, and all three of them are floating there by it, staring at each other--it's quite the messed-up love triangle in my tank right now!

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Sara

I can't give you any advice but I hope your female feels better real soon : )

Separating them is a good idea. She doesn't need the stress on top of what she is already dealing with.

You might just want to let the more gentle of the two makes chase and bump her here and there throughout the day. Not enough to exhaust her but enough to hopefully get her to drop the eggs. I'm not sure how long to even suggest. Females can drop eggs without males present but the males do help it along.

:)

OK--so just a few short visits.

I thought it wasn't so bad at first, but then I watched him rip off a small piece of the already mangled tail, and I got mad and put him in with the other male.

I hope she drops these eggs soon!

Thanks, Lisa!

You're welcome. Keep us posted. :)

So what would it look like if she reabsorbs her eggs and then passes them? I've been reading through the forum about this.

I haven't seen her drop any eggs yet, but today she had a kind of weird poop with lumps, and it looked "crinkly" for lack of a better word. I hope this means that the eggs are coming out. The only thing is that she is a little constipated, so there have to be more eggs in there than that.

It's been a week since the spawning behavior started, so could she be done by now?

Edited by Saracatt

So what would it look like if she reabsorbs her eggs and then passes them? I've been reading through the forum about this.

I haven't seen her drop any eggs yet, but today she had a kind of weird poop with lumps, and it looked "crinkly" for lack of a better word. I hope this means that the eggs are coming out. The only thing is that she is a little constipated, so there have to be more eggs in there than that.

It's been a week since the spawning behavior started, so could she be done by now?

You will see very white zig zag poo.