Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
BronwynH

My Apple Snail -- very photo heavy

23 posts in this topic

When I bought a 20g for Nephthys I bought an apple snail to keep her company. Even though she's been moved back to the main tank (I had to play some 'musical fish') the snail still inhabits the 20g. So far she is still unnamed. Actually, I'm not even sure she's a she, but I haven't been able to spot a penile sheath behind her gill yet.

So without further ado here are some photos:

IMG_24611_zpsceb2e34c.jpg

IMG_24591_zps28e5bea0.jpg

IMG_24601_zps38520110.jpg

IMG_24621_zps15b1d49a.jpg

d3514f84-f277-4cb7-ba9a-8c328861ac89_zps

IMG_24491_zps46c28dd6.jpg

IMG_24701_zps1cb62e26.jpg

601359d2-bf18-4b52-bc68-8a05660ef9b5_zps

IMG_24761_zpsa0a3202a.jpg

IMG_24791_zpsea697bdf.jpg

Sorry about the orientation of the photos. Even though I rotated them to be right way 'round in photobucket before posting, it didn't carry over to here. While I will convey condolences I wish to eschew any responsibility for resultant neck kinks ;) .

Hmm, also noticing that much of the cropping I did in advance of posting did not save. I wonder what I did wrong. I did hit 'save' and it is showing up properly in pb . . . odd.

Yeah! Another snail lubber :heart your pics are fantastic :thumbs:

Whoa! Penile sheath :o

:hmm I thought snails were hermaphrodites :idont

Awesome pics.

Also for educational purposes.

pezy7a6e.jpgy4e2agev.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah! Another snail lubber :heart your pics are fantastic :thumbs:

Whoa! Penile sheath :o

:hmm I thought snails were hermaphrodites :idont

Some snails are. Apple snails including the species we call mystery snails are not.

Can you see her snails sheath Daniel? Are the visible or very tiny? :o

Thanks! I had to take quite a few (and then delete most of them), but I'm very pleased.

Apple snails have two sexes. The male has a penile sheath on the left tucked under the shell behind the gill (not to be confused with the siphon, which is on the right). That's why they do not reproduce singly. Although the female can store sperm for a very long time, so fertile eggs can get laid quite some time after coming home from the pet store. Additionally females have been known to lay infertile eggs in the absence of males.

In light coloured shell females you can also see the ovaries under the shell as they get ready to lay eggs. On the right side of the shell watch for darkening around the twisty-bit (I don't know if this has a proper name) - the darkening will follow the swirl in the shell. This may be what you can see on the right side of my snail.

Awesome pics.

Also for educational purposes.
pezy7a6e.jpgy4e2agev.jpg

You got there first! Must learn to type faster!!

I'm gonna have to pic up my snail to look at it's anatomy! This is fascinating :) mine has a dark area by the swirl. I thought it was algae build up on the shell :o

The best way to check is set them upside down on the tank bottom. When they come out and start to turn over you can see quite easily. Or if you have several like my just wat until nature takes its course. 8eqe2ymu.jpg

I suppose it could be algae. Mine isn't - I picked it up to check. The darkening appeared suddenly a couple days ago. But really I have no idea if it's the ovaries. My previous snail was male.

I have used a great webpage to remind myself about how to sex snails (forgot as it's been a few years since I last had one). Am I allowed to post a link here? It's got a lot of great photos.

Edited by BronwynH

:idont link rules

Wait for mod

Is it a snail fourm?

I don't think so. It's from a google search I did when I got the snail - wanted to make sure I was up on my snail care and got a little OCD. It seems to be someone's hobby webpage. Another page I bookmarked at the time is specifically just for info.

Edited by BronwynH

Look at applesnail.net its a good one.

That was one of the two!!

You took some awesome photo's of your snail. Love the color.

This whole topic on your thread is very interesting. I enjoyed reading it.

You took some awesome photo's of your snail. Love the color.

This whole topic on your thread is very interesting. I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you!

Posted this on Flippers thread too, but just got visual confirmation that he's a boy! And with the recent shell colour change I thought he was a girl! Go figure, all in one night he's used to me enough to let me take a bunch of photos and see his, umm, manhood.

He is sooo cute!!! Very nice pics too :D

That's amazing how you or anyone can sex a snail. Just makes me smile in Awe. ha ha

Sooooooooooooo, A congrats to you for having a boy. :)

Great pics, Bronwyn! Inverts are so cool! :)

That's amazing how you or anyone can sex a snail. Just makes me smile in Awe. ha ha

Sooooooooooooo, A congrats to you for having a boy. :)

Well, when it comes to mystery snails anyway, the important member is very difficult to see (all the angles have to be right) but when you see it there's pretty much no mistaking what it is! That is provided you know siphon on the snail's left, gills and reproduction on the right.

Great pics, Bronwyn! Inverts are so cool! :)

Thank you!

I agree. I had forgotten how much I loved watching my old apple snail (he's been gone for about 7 years). Now that I have one I just want more!!

My husband also acquired ghost shrimp last year. We hadn't had any crustaceans before. I think they're my favourite part of his tank. He refuses to name them, as they all look the same, but I call them (collectively) 'Hoende Shrimpins' - my interpretation of whatever it is the Swedish chef says when referring to shrimp in the Muppet's 'Popcorn' video. It seems to have caught on!