• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2 -8.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master
      • * Water temperature? 60 degrees F (House temp 64, got to love Wisconsin winters!)
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 gallon sterlite tub, one month
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon 30? and a tiny tetra in the tank filter that can with my too small 10 gal tank
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% once a day or every other day if the ammonia is under .5. Once a week 80%

Hi,

Well, I have made a lot of mistakes! I am very thankful for your site's information so my new little friends can have a good life.

I am now trying to cycle my tank with the 2 fish in it. I am able to keep the ammonia levels between .25 and .5 with water changes. I am struggling with the PH Levels. Our tap water is between 7.4- 7.6 but the tank water keeps going up to 8.2 -8.4, so with the frequent water changes I keep making the ph in the tank fluctuate. I don't know what to do to keep it more stable. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Linda

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? tonight 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, one black moor 1.5" in body, one fancy tail 1.5 in body
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, using a capful for the 30 gal tub
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omgea one sinking pellets, peas, spinach.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? salt a .3% last week put it down to about .2% with today's water change
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. salt as stated above
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The fancy tail has scales missing on both sides of body
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? none

You could age your water overnight in buckets. You'd need a few 5 gallon buckets but at least they wouldn't be subjected to the pH swing. Once your tank is cycled and you are doing less frequent WCs it shouldn't be an issue.

Check with your city water dept and see if they have values for KH (alkalinity). A pH of 8ish for your tank is fine as long as it's stable. But we need to know your KH . .. If they don't have the KH values, you can get a KH test kit, also made by API. :D

Hello & welcome! :)

In cases where the tank pH rises over time, then it may be that there are high levels of CO2, or some sort of mildly acidic substance that dissipates through gas exchange at the surface. In this case, it is as Lisa said, and the best results would be to age your water for 24 hours (with airstone) prior to doing the water change. :)

Thank you!

After reading so much of what both of you have written, I'm kind of in awe to actually be in contact with you!!

I have set out water and am aerating for my next water change.

Readings this morning: Ammonia at 0 WOW first time ever!!! must have been the 80% water change and no food yesterday because their poo was getting long

Nitrite:0

Nitrate;0

ph: 8.3 up from 7.5 which was right after last nights water change.

If the Ammonia stays under .5 when I test after work tonight can I skip the water change and add a double dose of prime?

Well I may have jumped the gun a bit on the ammonia at 0. When I look again it is a bit green but still under ,25, I was just happy not to see green the moment the two chemicals mixed.

Also I checked out my city water and the well that is used in the winter has a PH of 7.6, but I'm not a chemist and could not get much more information from the rest of the readings, nothing was labeled KH

The water I have sitting out to do the water change with will be colder (thanks to winter cold) than my tank temp, is it ok to just add hot to match the temps?

You can add hot water. Try not to change the pH more than 0.5 at once. You should be able to make that work. :D

Check the report again and see if anything is labeled alkalinity. If not, would you be able to get a KH kit? I'd suggest getting the combo KH/GH test kit as it is only a few dollars more to get both. I think I paid around $8 . . .

No pet/fish store in Madison carries a KH/GH test kit :(

We tested the tap water with our swimming pool kit for Alkalinity and got 280- 300 ppm

The city website puts our tap water between 319 -337 ppm between the two winter wells.

Is this what you were looking for?

How does this help?

Linda

Yes, this is what we are looking for. KH and alkalinity are the same thing. A KH above 100 is what we want. 150 is even better and about 300 is great. Your pH should be rock solid. :D The KH is the buffering capacity of your water. The higher the KH, the more stable your pH. If you were keeping fish that prefer a low pH, this high KH would not be good as it would be very difficult to lower your pH to the desired level. But GF can easily tolerate a pH of around 8, so you're good. :D

While cycling, this will be a bit of a pain in the behind because of the fairly large difference between your tap and tank pH. But, like I said before, once you're doing less frequent WCs, we will just need to make sure you're not doing large WCs that change your pH more than 0.5. :D

I have water sitting out and aerating,

Do I need to do another water change today if my ammonia level is at .25? If I don't do a water change should I add a double dose of prime?

They are at o

I wish I would see some so I would know the tank was starting to cycle!

Does a tank cycle more slowly if the temp is lower?

No WC needed. Dose Prime and test again tomorrow.

Bacteria prefer a warmer environment. Is a tank heater a possibility? The tank doesn't need to be 80 but 70-72 would be nice. :)

OK, I add the prime. This will give my set out water time to get to a better PH

I can't get a heater tonight :( is there a safe way to DIY a heater?

I wouldn't mess with DIY when it involves electricity and water. :scared

Could you pick one up in the next week or so? This hobby can get rather expensive. :o

Also can you tell me what kind of media you have in your filter? :idont

I have all the things they came with; charcoal in "poly fill" , the plastic bio filter and then I have add some ceramic bio media.

Would you like me to add something new to your shopping list? :donthit:

:rofl

I would dump the carbon. It's not needed in GF tanks. We do waaay too many WCs to make the carbon necessary. Occasionally people use carbon if they are having water clarity issues or want to remove meds but a good ole WC will do the same thing. And charcoal should be replaced every few weeks or it starts to leach into the system. :(

Once the carbon is out of there, add this, cut to fit:

http://www.petco.com/product/5539/Marineland-Bonded-Filter-Pads.aspx

If you have room left over, add more of the ceramic biomedia. That is where the beneficial bacteria colonize. :D

Add away to the shopping list! Although at times it will be a wish list :)

I will take out the carbon and add the filter media and more bio media as I can.

Thank you for all the useful information and help!! :) :)

I will keep you posted on how the tank is doing

Sounds good!!

And just FYI, I don't work at a pet store. Not trying to drum up more business. :tomuch:

As far as heaters go, check out Fluval, Eheim Jager, and Aqueon. Those seem to be popular. I'm not sure if you ever order from amazon but they have a lot of aquarium equipment for really good prices (including heaters, filters, water conditioner, air pumps) so if you don't need something "yesterday" that is a great way to go! :D

Thank you, I was not thinking of Amazon but that is a good idea. I have just ordered Prazipro as i'm sure I will be learning to use that soon too :)

Check your aged water pH tomorrow. If what we predict is true, you should get a pH similar to what you have in the tank. :)

the PH in the ageing water is going up, I will recheck and report this evening to see what you all advise :)

The aged water's PH is matching the tank :) 8.2 - 8.4

The Ammonia is at .5

Nitrite: 0

I got a heater and have raised the tank from 60 to just under 68 over the past 24 hours.

The carbon filters are out and replaced with poly-fill stuff

So I plan on a water change, double dose with prime, set out water to age and test again in the am. Sound like an OK plan?

As long as ammonia + nitrite is less than 1, I'd like you to simply double dose with Prime. I'd raise the temp to about 72*. Can you fit any more ceramic biomedia in the filters?

So no WC needed but please test again in am, keeping the aged water you already have. :)

Less work than you thought, huh? :nana

Sounds great, it has been a long day. I will turn the heat up and look into more biomedia and then just enjoy watching them swim!

This morning's readings

Ammonia: .25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 8.4

Temp:70.3, I will bump up the heater a bit

I'll check readings again tonight.