Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GoldieLover

Sump Questions

So i just picked up a sump that was free on Craigslist. It had a aquaclear 70 powerhead with it. My question is does anyone use a sump on their freshwater tanks? Was thinking i would add this to the 90 gallon tank so with the magnum 350 canister filter and the sump would give a combined GPH of 750. I know canisters are more of 5-7 times the amount of gallons so im thinking with the sump i would be nicely over that. Than i could remove the HOB filter.

I think if you don't mind the extra work, adding a sump would be awesome! I don't think that sumps are for freshwater tanks only at all. I say go for it! :)

I think if you don't mind the extra work, adding a sump would be awesome! I don't think that sumps are for freshwater tanks only at all. I say go for it! :)

Sumps are used on many freshwater tanks. Why would you not think they are for freshwater? Look at the pet stores, they use sumps.

So i just picked up a sump that was free on Craigslist. It had a aquaclear 70 powerhead with it. My question is does anyone use a sump on their freshwater tanks? Was thinking i would add this to the 90 gallon tank so with the magnum 350 canister filter and the sump would give a combined GPH of 750. I know canisters are more of 5-7 times the amount of gallons so im thinking with the sump i would be nicely over that. Than i could remove the HOB filter.

What does this sump look like?

Sumps are used on many freshwater tanks. Why would you not think they are for freshwater? Look at the pet stores, they use sumps.
I'm not sure if you misread or what, but I said that "I don't think that sumps are for freshwater tanks ONLY..." Also, I meant to say saltwater. It should have read "They're not for saltwater tanks only." But they're not for freshwater tanks only, either, so my previous post is still kinda true, even though I made it look as if freshwater fish keepers were the main users of sumps! Sorry for the confusion, I'm kind of confusing myself! Edited by Justin

I'm sorry! I reread that one ten times before I posted. I have no idea how I missed that only. :idont

Edited by Mikey

My fault for saying freshwater instead of saltwater. I'm sure wording it like a crazy person didn't help either!

Here is what the sump looks like. It came with alot of BioBalls which im sure given a proper washing would still be good. It does need a good cleaning. My second thought would be to use the powerhead on my second cannister that the magnet went out in to pump the water through it.

7b20a1ca-e8d4-4301-ba12-58634617f012.jpg

Edited by GoldieLover

I think it's a decent sized sump and should serve your needs well! :)

I just got to figure out how to set it up now. Been hitting the google books lately :)

It looks like an Eshopps sump. You might want to check out their instruction manuals. :)

Ok and ty. Been worried about the dangers of a pump failing. Ireally dont want to flood my living room.