Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
sonny.barile

You dumb babies!

26 posts in this topic

Everyone who is a RugRats fan knows this famous quote from Angelica Pickles.........

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago I noticed our male ranchu Copper, chasing around one of our females Miss Prissy. This went on all day and needless to say she went on a egg shooting tour. The tank is bare bottomed so most of the eggs went straight to the bottom where our other female Peaches was promptly devouring them. A few made it to a plant where they couldn't be reached by the 3 hungry stooges. The following day Copper was having some more fun. This time with Peaches, and she was shooting eggs out. Again most were eaten and some made it into the cover of a plant. A few days later we started to see babies clinging to the plants. we scooped them out and put them in to the only thing I had available, a clear fish container that had a volume of about 16 oz. There was a head count (which is really difficult at this size) revealing 10 fry with 1 looking pretty bad. (detached eyes) I quickly went out and bought a 1 gallon betta tank to hold them over while I figure out what I need to do. After putting them in the betta tank the sickly little guy died.

Only 8 days later Copper had another bout with Miss Prissy and she produced some more eggs. They hatched this past Friday and now I have 24 fry in this little 1 gallon betta tank. I ordered a real tank and stand and they will be here shortly.

So as it stands I have 9 fry that are 11 days old and 15 that are just a coupe of days old. All seem to be thriving though. Well, I have read enough posts here to know it aint over til you see what the shutter clicked...... :rofl3

Here is the betta tank:

Photoon2014-02-16at1930_zpsea5385c8.jpg

A few fry pics:

100_0591_zpsa9c8a3ae.jpeg

100_0597_zpsebef815d.jpeg

100_0594_zpse6aadf86.jpeg

100_0596_zps764b0143.jpeg

anyone up for a movie?

th_100_0600_zps0856cf0f.jpg

and just one more.....

th_100_0596_zps67628531.jpg

I will try to update this post with details and pics to show progression of the fry for those that are interested.

:thumbup2::goldfish::goldfish::goldfish::goldfish::goldfish:

Koko.......Will this get me a badge? :please

Edited by sonny.barile

If you want to keep any of the younger fry, you should put them in a separate container. You wouldn't believe how tiny a fish is capable of swallowing one even smaller. You don't need a fish tank for tiny fry. Dollar store dishpans make fine fry tanks.

:thumbs:

Congrats!

Gosh, everyone's jumped into fry-ing these days!

I wanna join! :rofl

Best of luck to you. It's really exciting! :)

Good luck!! And, yes, please keep us posted! :nana

Gosh, everyone's jumped into fry-ing these days!

I wanna join! :rofl

Best of luck to you. It's really exciting! :)

I didnt intend to do it. It just sort of happened. The last time Prissy had eggs they ate them all. I was just going to let nature take it's course. I saw a little baby clinging to a plant leaf and the big softy in me came out. My wife had a magnifier out and was viewing in to the tank and she got to see one actually born from the egg. This went on all day. One by one they emerged and I got them out before they became choochow. They are the cutest little things. It is amazing how much they change from day to day. I am just going to see where this leads.

If you want to keep any of the younger fry, you should put them in a separate container. You wouldn't believe how tiny a fish is capable of swallowing one even smaller. You don't need a fish tank for tiny fry. Dollar store dishpans make fine fry tanks.

A five gallon tank is coming tomorrow. The 11 day olds will go in there for now and the newborns will stay in the 1 gallon betta tank until they are big enough to mix.

These are of course intermediate homes. I will arrange a bigger tank for them to go in when the time comes.

OH I almost forgot. Where are my manors? Thank you for the good luck wishes........

Sonny

I laughed at the title so I had to click and see what this was and it's fry! I have a feeling this is how any fry experiences would go for me. :wacko:

P.S I love your signature :happydance

I'll be watching for those updates!

Your title made my day--I totally remember that quote from rug rats! I love your description of your wife with magnifier watching a fry hatch.

I had and have no idea what your title meant. ha ha I guess I'm not a fan of the rug rats. :(

Congratulations on the fry. I hope they all do well.

I had no idea that small fry will eat even smaller fry. That was interesting to read what Sharon had wrote. I learned something new. :)

aww congrats on the fry babies ;)

Aww they are little speckles just wiggling around in your video :) Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing updates on these guys.

The tank I ordered for the fry arrived yesterday. Apparently the Petco's warehouse thought it would be ok just to stick a UPS label on the store shelf box and ship it . Needless to say they are sending me another.

I also bought one of those Fluval Nano bookshelf stands for the fry tank so I could put it in the bedroom. It is awesome!!!!! Everytime I buy something from Fluval I am happy with it. The stand went together in 10 minutes. Would have been 5 but I chose to also glue the fasteners. It is solid like a rock. I could stand on this thing. They own AquaClear. The AquaClear 110 is also one of the few purchases I made that I am really happy with.

The fry seem happy as they are all swimming around now. I noticed with the earlier batch that it takes about 2 or 3 days before they start swimming around freely and stop clinging to everything. This is a very rewarding experience and I recommend that all who can should try it.

The tank I ordered for the fry arrived yesterday. Apparently the Petco's warehouse thought it would be ok just to stick a UPS label on the store shelf box and ship it . Needless to say they are sending me another.

I also bought one of those Fluval Nano bookshelf stands for the fry tank so I could put it in the bedroom. It is awesome!!!!! Everytime I buy something from Fluval I am happy with it. The stand went together in 10 minutes. Would have been 5 but I chose to also glue the fasteners. It is solid like a rock. I could stand on this thing. They own AquaClear. The AquaClear 110 is also one of the few purchases I made that I am really happy with.

The fry seem happy as they are all swimming around now. I noticed with the earlier batch that it takes about 2 or 3 days before they start swimming around freely and stop clinging to everything. This is a very rewarding experience and I recommend that all who can should try it.

Oh, I'm sorry about the tank! I'm glad the stand is working well for you! :)

Waiting a little longer for the fry tank is not a problem for the fry. It is just me being a kid and wanting it NOW!!!!!! :tantrum

Oh!!!!! And I just noticed my little Koko gift. Thanks Koko!!!!!!!!!!! :#1

Edited by sonny.barile

YaY :Dancing: I got an email confirmation that my replacement tank order is being processed.

I cant wait until it comes. I want to see the school of fry all set up in the new tank.

The older batch are looking and acting like fish. We lost one of the new ones though. it was lying on the bottom sideways and limp when i got home from work.

23 fry and counting.

You're gonna have your hands full!! It sure is fun, and quite amazing, to watch them grow. You'll have to update us with some new pics soon. :whistle

Not sure what is happening but they are dropping like flies!!!! A few each day. We saw one swimming on the top, then suddenly stop and drop to the bottom and go limp. I have only 4 left. I have changed the water, fed them, I dont understand what is causing this. I was using water from my established tank at first and I know my parameters are good. After losing a bunch, I started using conditioned tap water. No difference..........Either way I was matching temperature. I cant figure out what is causing this........

You need to start prazi treatment, as well as salt, pronto. This should be done right at around the 2 week mark.

I didn't salt but I did prazi at 1 week. What are you feeding?

It is too late. :doh11:

Is this the normal regimen? Antibiotics and salt? :hummm

Do you folks have a reading recommendation for raising fry. I think I should get myself educated before trying this again. I dont want to give this up but I also dont want to kill off the next batch of babies.

Salt and prazi for now, and it's not too late. :)