eatfood

Eatfood's 48 gallon tank

193 posts in this topic

Your black ranchu isn't in the tank/photo. :(  It's been awhile since you've updated.  I hope he's okay.

Your black ranchu isn't in the tank/photo. :(  It's been awhile since you've updated.  I hope he's okay.

No I am sad to say he passed like 4 months ago.  It was super sad.  He always was sort of floaty and I thought it was a personality thing because he would only eat from the surface, but one day he just got way worse.  I set up a hospital tank and tried various different things.  It was so fast.  Next time I start seeing odd behavior I am going to report it here immediately and to east coast ranchu.  Cynthia is so helpful and I am sure she/you guys could have helped me prevent my loss.

Obi has been pretty depressed since then.  He seems healthy and has actually grown past the 6” mark now. He does have this light discoloration beat up looking front leading edge of his pectoral fins, sort of like fin rot but I think it might be from dragging them on the bottom?  I am keeping a close watch on it to see if his behavior changes.  He may have always had it?  I may be overreacting to something that is normal, but I really do not want to lose another fish.  I have replaced my uv bulb, added a ac70 full of sponge and filter floss for added mechanical filtration and gave everything a good cleaning (which I always have done anyways). 

I feel bad watching Obi sit alone.  I mean you can really tell he misses his buddy.  I put the hospital tank for Black fin next to the tank and they both sat next to the glass by each other (heartbreaking). After Black Fin passed, Obi would just hang around in the corner where the hospital tank was.  Now he cruses around and eats just fine and such, but I still think he was a little more active when the other fish was in there.   

I will try to get a better pic of the fin thing.  I am getting everything ready for a new ranchu (buddy for Obi) and want to make sure everything is in order before I pull the trigger.   

EDIT:  now that I look at the pictures above I can see the same beat up look to his fins, maybe it is just a larger goldfish thing?  seems like he has always had it?

Edited by eatfood

Not really a pic of his fins (which I am seeing on a lot of fish so I am less worried) just wanted to show him off

20150518_212511.jpg

Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry your black ranchu passed away.  Very sad news indeed.  It is hard losing a fish and seeing our other(s) act differently, in a sad kind of manner. :(  I've been through it along with so many others here.

That is so nice to be getting another fish for Obi (and for you too, I bet :)  )  Are you getting him/her from Cynthia also?  I hope Obi perks up when the new roommate can join the home/tank.

Yes, I'd say post in the d&d thread if you have any concerns about your fish.  It's always better to catch something earlier than later.  Cynthia is great in helping people with her past fish and Koko is also great with responding in the d&d thread with sick/concerning fish. I'd just like to mention that it's best not for a fish to eat on the surface of the water. They can get gassy which can lead to floaty issues.  Some questions are usually asked about if any new food was given.  (If the fish started floating after new food was fed.)  Sometimes a new food can be the culprit to the floatiness.  That's sometimes usually ruled out before trying something else.  

Again, I'm sorry for the passing of Black Fin.

I hope your new fish brings you joy again and for Black Fin.  Please post photo's when you receive him/her.

Added:  I can't see anything in regards to the pectoral fins.  Sometimes if they are dark/black it can be a sign of ammonia burns.  How often do you do your w/c and how much water is taken out?  Do you check your param. with an API liquid test kit?

Sometimes all you need to do to heal fins is up your water change.  Like if you do them weekly, do two w/c a week.  Make them at least 60% or more.  I do 85% w/c every 5 days.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I do around 90% every week. No ammonia burns. I never liked the black fish eating at the surface for those very reasons. I have always feed the same sinking pellet and green peas, occasional blood worms, but that fish would attack before the food sank very much. I am still not convinced there was not an infection at play too. Last time I tested my water everything was zero (nitrates 5 or under).

Your water changes sound great. :)  The sinking pellets I feed my fish doesn't sink fast enough either.  I hold the sinking pellets under water with my fingers for about 10 seconds or so and then slowly release them as they sink to the bottom.  My fish of course are nibbling my fingers trying to get their food. :).  I make sure my hands are clean and no lotion on them.

Yes, Your fish could have had some kind of infection/been sick without you knowing.  I've read posts here of fish passing away, being fine one day and passed the next.  My betta was like that last December.

Very neat modern looking tank - love the chunky fish! :)

Very pretty! I love the idea of a tank being viewed from all parts of the house. :) 

Here is a day shot showing the equipment better. I recently change out a sump for a much cleaner looking canister filter.

20160221_083244_zpseltc5h1t.jpg

Looks great.  Sorry to read the news that your black chu has passed.  Obi looks to be doing very well :)

Been awhile since I have uploaded.  The kids sort of run the place so sorry for the mess haha.

overall shot.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice tank :thumbs: 

20180523_193327.jpg

• Like 4

If it was me I would be putting moss balls in there. I just love the look and the goldfish will nibble on them :teehee 

Pretty tank!!!