Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishy

Young oranda-Will the color change?

I saw an oranda tonight at petsmart that was absolutely adorable. He/she has an orange and white body, the wen is orange, the face and cheeks are white, there is an orange stripe between his eyes, and a small amount of orange color on the mouth. He/she was small (the $7-$8 size). My question is-due to his/her size, I am thinking the age is young, will the color/markings change as the fish gets older? As soon as I saw the fish I fell for him/her, partly in due to the color (adorable face and the markings just enhance the cuteness) as well as the chubby cheeks and wiggly swim. I feed soilent green, super green, NLS 1mm, and bloodworms. I am probably going to get the fish irrelevant of the possible color change but I am curious if the color will change in the future. Thank you for any input : )

Edited by Lucky Fins

He will most definitely likely quite probably change colour :) He sounds adorable; go add him to your tank. :)

goldfish are like chocolates you never know what you are going to get

:lol but he probably will change colors over time

I saw an oranda tonight at petsmart that was absolutely adorable. He/she has an orange and white body, the wen is orange, the face and cheeks are white, there is an orange stripe between his eyes, and a small amount of orange color on the mouth. He/she was small (the $7-$8 size). My question is-due to his/her size, I am thinking the age is young, will the color/markings change as the fish gets older? As soon as I saw the fish I fell for him/her, partly in due to the color (adorable face and the markings just enhance the cuteness) as well as the chubby cheeks and wiggly swim. I feed soilent green, super green, NLS 1mm, and bloodworms. I am probably going to get the fish irrelevant of the possible color change but I am curious if the color will change in the future. Thank you for any input : )

Since white is a lack of color pigments, those areas are not likely to change.

Orange in goldfish is a very stable color, and so is likely to linger the longest, if not forever.

Having said that, I would be very surprised if he doesn't change somewhat. :)

Most likely will change :) But I like that you never know what you will get, this is my Honey, when I got her

honey_bubbles_by_tamedwhiskers-d3lcyci.j

And here she is now

school_of_fish_by_themandabear-d73wpwg.j

(5th from left, the one with her face pretty much right in the stones :P)

It would have being nice if she kept her white, but she is still beautiful x3

Newton's once white belly is entirely orange now.:lol

Newton's once white belly is entirely orange now.:lol

I think David once made a distinction between true white (no pigment cells) versus white that is only because the food was lacking those pigments. In the latter case, the fish will color up once the "right" foods are supplied. In the first case, nothing would prompt a change.

Of course, we won't know until we actually have the fish, and have had it for a while. :rofl

Thanks again everyone for sharing your advice and experience-it is so very interesting. The fish is a cutie, totally made me smile-I will go back to the store today : )

Black and blue fish are the most unstable. Orange and white fish often hold their color. But, you never know with these guys :)

I have sarasa (red and white) comets that at four years old are the same color as when they were an inch long. I have another has turned all white. I have a red and white common whose name is Golden, because that's the color she was for her first year.

There really isn't a way of telling what will happen with goldfish colors.

I'm on my way to get him/her now : ) will just wait and see about the color but there are other things I like about the fishy too (chubby cheeks, wiggly swim). The saying it is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get seems to have a good amount of validity-I think the fishy's name may be Chocolate : )

Awe it sounds like you made a good decision to go back and get that cutie or you'd probably keep thinking about him/her.

Congrats on the new fish. Photo's now need to be posted here or a new thread with introducing the new guy/gal. :)

oh yay looking forward to seeing your new baby :)