Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Discovered a Cool Trick

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

This may be something you guys already do or know of. I didn't and it has solved a big problem for me.

I have had batches of fry since November. The biggest pain for me is siphoning the food out of the tank 3-4 times/day. The food spreads across the entire tank floor, gets stuck and gunky quickly. I then spend about 30-45 minutes each time I clean it. It was just taking up too much of my time.

The other day I was thinking about my problem. I figured there has to be something I can do to prevent the mess. :hummm:idea:

I bought a small, shallow ceramic ash tray. It is heavy enough not to float at all. When I feed, I put the ashtray on the floor of the tank, squirt the food right into it at the bottom. The fish eat. When it's time for the food to come out, I siphon out any chunks with an airline tube and then remove the ashtray to wash it.

Not 1 speck of food was on the tank floor, they had all eaten well and the clean up took less than 5 minutes and required removing very little water:) Great for when you start the Prazi!

Just wanted to share in case anyone is suffering as I had been :)

Sounds like a great idea!!

Awesome! Glad you found an easier way to get around that :D

I'll keep that in mind in case I ever need to feed fry! Hopefully no time soon! :)

:) great idea :thumbs:

Thanks guys! It has saved me about 3 hours so far. lol I'm just amazed you can still buy ashtrays...haha.