Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

How fast do various foods dissolve in the tank experiment.

29 posts in this topic

I have been wondering for a while... how long after I throw food in the tank does the food just dissolve away? I can see when I put some foods into the tank, a dusting comes off of them right away. So today I thought I would do an experiment, which although not perfectly controlled, should give me a good idea. In the following post you will see a picture of the foods and how I am testing them. I put about the same amount of tank water, which is at room temperature (68), into glasses, and then put a piece of food into it. For the very small fry food, I put in 3 pieces because I could barely see the one. So now I wait and check on it every once in a while. In case anyone was wondering why I did this... it is because I think I tend to throw way too much food into the tank, once a day. I want to see if that food sits around for the fish to munch on all day, or if it simply dissolves, and turns into waste, ammonia I believe, that I really dont want. Stay tuned.

IMAG0088.jpg

From left to right:

API Pond Fish Food floating pellet

Wardley Sinking Algae Discs Large size

Wardley Medium Floating Pellet

Terta Sinking Goldfish Granules, very small

API Algae Eater Premium Sinking Wafers Medium size

Hikari Lionhead Sinking Mini Pellet

Tetra Pond Floating Koi Vibrance Sticks.

Edited by DieselPlower

It should be interesting to see! I always struggle with wondering how much to feed. I have resorted to weighing.

OOOOO looking forward to seeing how your experiment goes :D

:nana waiting ever so impatiently :rofl

Fun experiment :thumb:

I find that Progold disintegrates quickly!

The API algae eater wafer is coming apart after 4 hours so if using this I would throw it in just before going to bed since the pleco usually feeds at night. The Wardly disk is holding up much better.

This is awesome, Jason. (And a good way to get rid of old foods! :rofl)

I hope you expand to NLS and repashy.

I hope you expand to NLS and repashy.

I'm testing every type of food I have now. When they are all used up, I will buy and try others.

Can't wait to see what happens!

This should be interesting.

I'm heading to bed. After 8.5 hours my vague analysis is that the sinking goldfish food remains pretty tight. The floating goldfish food seems very spongy. The Wardley pleco food is in good shape and the API pleco food is falling apart even more than before.The cup with the API pleco food also has a slight yellow tinge to it compared to all the other glasses which remain clear. I will check on the food again in the morning and after work as well.

Edited by DieselPlower

Jason, even though they are holding shape, please check for me to see how well they will break apart with a gentle smush. We don't want pellets that will hold up and stay rock solid in the guts of the fish. :)

I gave them all a poke with a fork last night. The floating food was all very soft, like a wet sponge. It compressed but did not break apart. The sinking food was still pretty solid. I'll give it another poke again soon.

The floating foods have nearly doubled in size. I could see how this could be a problem fir the fishes digestive tract if they did not chew up the food before swallowing.

I was actually wondering the other night how long the pellets last in the tank before adding to the ammonia levels in my tank. Thanks for the experiment.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Yes, very interesting!

:popcorn

The floating foods have nearly doubled in size. I could see how this could be a problem fir the fishes digestive tract if they did not chew up the food before swallowing.

:yikes

wonderful experiment. thank you for sharing it with us :)

i see this being a very helpful topic to refer back to, so i have decided to pin it ;)

A couple others that are interesting to note are the NLS small goldfish and Saki Hikari goldfish food. I always add water to my sinking pellets before eating and the NLS unlike any others I've tried really leaches a brown/orange color into the water within a minute. The saki hikari easily doubles in size within minutes also. It seems like with alot of these foods including the ones you are currently testing is that it probably is worth soaking them so they expand before feeding them.

Edited by CindiL

Interesting; the NLS small fish formula that I feed neither swells nor leaches anything.

Interesting; the NLS small fish formula that I feed neither swells nor leaches anything.

I don't think I would notice it in the main tank but I put mine into a little paper cup and add a tiny amount of water, the water turns brown within minutes. The NLS doesn't swell too much, not like the saki hikari which easily doubles.

IMAG0093.jpg