Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Elisa

Best place to buy plants?

Hey all :D
So recently, I've been toying around with the idea of a planted tank...
Mind you, I've never kept any aquatic plants before- so the entire concept is a bit new to me :blink:

I was thinking of starting with some lucky bamboo in my filter box?
And then eventually some anubias or moss balls !

But my question is, where do you guys get your plants?
I always see tons at my lfs, petco, and petsmart....
However, the ones at petsmart always seem inundated with snails :idont

What are your top picks for plant vendors?

Thanks !

Edited by Elisa

Unfortunately snails are part of the package. When I get new plants, I pretty much expect them to come with some (unless it's a tube plant, but I'm usually too cheap for those haha)! :o it's as important to disinfect your plants as it is to treat/quarantine new fish, and snail "removal" is a part of that process. It's quite easy, too - a quick dip in some water with bleach, or a longer bath in more gentle potassium permanganate.

I recently ordered some plants from Peabody's Paradise, and I am soooo happy with what I got! Their shipping won't kill you either and the plants were about the same price as what I pay at Tropiquarium.

OOOOOOOOhhhhh... okay, thanks for the tip !
I'll have to check out peabody's paradise :D

I've just ordered from Peabody's Paradise as well :) Their anubias package. Very very happy with my purchases! One anubias didn't make it after a valiant fight (I shoved the rhizome too deep into a driftwood nook) but the others are just gorgeous. I threw some little $.25 plugs onto my order since I was paying for shipping anyway and it ended up being so worth the money! I spent about $30 total and fully planted one 10 gallon tank and added lots to my other 2 10 gallons.

Unfortunately, in the aquatic plant trade, snails and plants go together like peanut butter and jelly. No matter how reputable the source, it is always a good practice to disinfect your plants upon arrival. Especially if you find them in a tank at Petco\Petsmart, which may also carry disease and pathogens. Try sticking with the tubed plants, they've been grown emersed and probably have no snails. Make sure they are meant to be submerged, though, umbrella plants and peacock ferns, for example, are terrestrial.

I second Peabody's Paradise. :D I placed an order with them and I am pleased. I ordered 2 anubias coeffilla and they sent me 3 and a baby anubias. :o Shipping is always flat-rate $7.50 no matter how big your order. They're moss balls are very cheap, and come in various sizes.

http://www.peabodysparadise.com/shop/

There's also Planted Aquariums Central, they have a huge stock of various plants, a bit more expensive than Peabody's though. And their shipping isn't flat-rate.

If your new to plants, I suggest you get some hardy low-light plants, like java fern, anubias, and moss balls. Water wisteria needs a bit more light, but is very hardy as well.

I hope you find the right plant(s) for your tank.

Good luck.

:)

...and don't forget to show pics, as I hear folks on this site like that kind of stuff.

:P

Edited by Mr. Hyde

If you purchase the plants in tubes from Petsmart or Petco you shouldn't have a snail problem.

I order my plants from aquariumplants.com. They have lots of different anubias. :D

I go to plantedaquariumscentral.com for all my plants. It's highly not recommended but I've never had to disinfect the plants or experienced a snail problem from them, so I don't really "qt" them before plopping them in the tank.

If you purchase the plants in tubes from Petsmart or Petco you shouldn't have a snail problem.

I order my plants from aquariumplants.com. They have lots of different anubias. :D

I have bought all of my Anubias in the tubes at Petco with no resulting problems. They are all doing great. I just feel safer with these because they are not in an aquarium with fish and snails.

Thankyou all so much for all the great advise and tips !
I actually just bout a morimo (spelling?) moss ball from my local petco....
was wondering if there is a plant QT/de-parasiting thread somewhere on here?

***edit: they are sold in containers seperate from any fish or aqarium....a bit like a tub, but filled with water?

***edit again, just found kokos pinned article :) ----is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water okay for morimo moss?

Edited by Elisa

***edit: they are sold in containers seperate from any fish or aqarium....a bit like a tub, but filled with water?

***edit again, just found kokos pinned article :) ----is 1 part bleach to 19 parts water okay for morimo moss?

I would always disinfect plants from any tank at Petco (fishless or not). To be super safe, you can also QT plants in a separate heated tank for a few weeks. Any hatching parasitic eggs,cysts, etc. that survive the bleaching or PP will starve and die without fish. The heat speeds up their life-cycle.

:IHNTA: Haha, because others already recommended my places. But personally, I love Planted Aquariums Central and more recently, Peabody's Paradise. PAC has an amazing selection along with good info on the plants they sell. I'd still recommend doing a little research when you try something new. I usually just Google the plant and read a few websites and/or forum posts, seeing what people say about it to get an idea of whether or not it will work in my tank. Anyway, I've done 3-4 orders through PAC and every time the plants arrived very quickly in beautiful condition, usually with some extras too. Their prices are a bit high but it's absolutely worth it for the level of care and quality you end up with. I've been using Peabody's more recently since they are also amazing and considerably cheaper as well. Plants get expensive! I saw someone recommend Peabody's on here a while ago and tried them out; I've now done 3 orders through them. Like PAC, my orders came very fast, packaged well and in perfect condition. PAC has slightly more variety and Peabody's often seems to be sold out of stuff but they still have a great selection. I've noticed that they add to the site fairly often too. You can't beat their prices for a lot of things, especially moss balls. I know a lot of people on here like them and the chain stores charge A LOT for them. Their shipping is very reasonable as well.

I'm going to check out the Petco plant sale this weekend. I definitely plan on grabbing a few things. I like their tube plants (Though you really have to check them out for quality, the selection isn't great and they have a habit of selling plants that aren't truly aquatic) but I think I'll try the stuff in the tanks because it's going to be so cheap during the sale and I've been eying some of their plants lately. I do plan on QTing them fairy extensively; I don't trust stuff that's been with fish.

Edited by Goldenhero

I buy the plants in the tubes also. They are snail free and dry. I am always wary of the plants for sale that are kept in tanks with fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I disinfected my marimo moss with 1 part bleach to 19 parts water. I think I kept them in that solution for about 15 minutes (maybe 10). No ill effects.

Edit: Oops, not 10 or 15 minutes, but only a minute or two! Then I QT'd it for about 5 days. Make sure to squeeze the ball several times while it is submerged in the water, so that the solution gets inside. When you rinse, make sure to squeeze so that the solution comes out.

Edited by LisaCGold

thank you all so much !
.....i know this is going to sound dumb, but how do you go about preparing the 1:19 parts bleach to water solution?
Like, how do you guys measure it out?
I guess I could do a half cup bleach to 81/2 cups water?

ratios confuse me :blink:

thank you all so much !

.....i know this is going to sound dumb, but how do you go about preparing the 1:19 parts bleach to water solution?

Like, how do you guys measure it out?

I guess I could do a half cup bleach to 81/2 cups water?

ratios confuse me :blink:

Almost. It would be half cup bleach to 9.5 cups water.