Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Fry colors?any guesses?

:hi Hi everyone! Just curious if anyone could tell me what you think these fry will look like as adults? They are currently 4 weeks old and have 2 very different colorations. One group is a dark silvery green color with lighter eyes. And, the other group is almost translucent with very dark eyes. A picture of mom and dad are in my signature. Nola is a short tailed fantail that is white and orange…she is deep bodied and round…and Nemo is a long tailed fantail…he is all orange and has a slim shape (at least I'm pretty sure that's what they are). :)

IMG_1770_zpsefce18cf.jpg

IMG_1751_zpscaa9e018.jpg

The silvery ones are metallic. They will turn out red/orange, red and white, or white.

The transparent ones are nacreous. They will look like Nola, who is also nacreous.

your babies are so precious !! :heart
can't wait to see updates on what the look like all grown up :D

H my gosh so cute!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You're doing a wonderful job raising them. :)

The silvery ones are metallic. They will turn out red/orange, red and white, or white.

The transparent ones are nacreous. They will look like Nola, who is also nacreous.

Thanks so much! I took genetics in college...you would think I could figure it out. :idont But, this is literally the first time I have had any kind of experience with fry. My guess was that the transparent ones would be white...so I'm so glad for the info.

They are growing rapidly. I have found one defect in a dorsal fin so far...looks like a spike. :( I am planning on keeping one of the fry to raise with Nemo and Nola, and I'd prefer one that looks more like Nola. But, you never know, maybe another will steal my heart. :heart

From the looks of it, you'll have plenty of fry to choose from! :rofl

Thanks so much! I took genetics in college...you would think I could figure it out. :idont

Taking genetics in college or several genetics courses in grad school won't help much with goldfish genetics. The only simple thing is the inheritance of metallic and matte scales. There's no dominance, so metallics are homozygous, mattes are homozygous, and nacreous fish, which have both matte and metallic scales, are heterozygous for matte and metallic.

Fishwink, congratulations. Now begins one of the more enjoyable parts of breeding our fish.

:hi Hi everyone! Just curious if anyone could tell me what you think these fry will look like as adults?

I think they'll look CUTE! :lol:

Seriously though, they are already pretty darn cute. Can't wait to see what they look like as they get older :D

Edited by amoonklein

Yes, this definitely seems like the fun part of raising fry. I didn't initially realize how much time it would take to raise them. But, now that they are growing it's really fun to see them transform! :) And all of the work doesn't matter so much! :thumbs:

I found this article by Steve from Raingarden... :interesting:

http://www.raingarden.us/color.htm

Thanks so much! I took genetics in college...you would think I could figure it out. :idont

Taking genetics in college or several genetics courses in grad school won't help much with goldfish genetics. The only simple thing is the inheritance of metallic and matte scales. There's no dominance, so metallics are homozygous, mattes are homozygous, and nacreous fish, which have both matte and metallic scales, are heterozygous for matte and metallic.

Sharon, do you know at what age I should be able to tell about body shape or long tailed vs. short tailed? Do all short tails have deep bodies?

All the fish I can see clearly have the fancy-type body. Long-bodied fish of this age look very streamlined. Of course within fancies you have quite a range of body types. While all goldfish get wider and taller as they get older, the shorter, taller, and wider ones now will be the the shorter, taller, and wider ones when they are older. If you like the body type of the parents, choose fry that are about average for the brood.

There is no relationship between body length and tail length. The difference between long-tailed and short-tailed fish increases with age. You can distinguish a common from a comet quite early because the tail shape is different. I don't know how early you can tell with fancies because all of my fancies are long-tailed.

You can tell a lot about the quality of the tails by now. From the top, you can easily see if the upper lobes of the tail are separate (making a four-lobed tail) or fused to make a "tripod" tail. The tripod tail is unacceptable in a show fish, but many people like them. What makes every tail more attractive is a good spread. If the tail droops when you look at it from the side or doesn't spread out (like Mochi's tail above) when you look at it from above, it will get worse as the fish gets older.

I find this topic so fascinating. Last night I was flipping through Erik Johnson's book and came across a paragraph about raising short & long tailed fancies... :interesting:

Long-finned fry tend to grow more slowly than short-finned fry. For the long-finned fish to grow adequately, it is necessary to provide them with their own tanks. In addition, feeding live foods exclusively is probably the only way to get these fish to develop deep bodies. The growth of finnage appears to take precedence over the growth of the body. Under suboptimal feeling conditions, the fish end up with long fins and small bodies. Therefore, it is of paramount importance to feed long-finned Goldfish varieties very well during the early growth period.

Having only 2 fish I have the advantage of knowing with certainty who the parents are. I think in the next week or so I will take each one out separately and evaluate them. I know I've seen 2 or 3 dorsal fin defects. But, I never had any knowledge/info until now to eval their tails.

I've made a SHORT video of Nemo (all orange) and Nola to show what they both look like. I stink at taking pictures. :) I would prefer to keep a fish more like Nola with a rounder body shape. They both were actually sold as Ryukins, but Nemo is definitely not and Nola has no hump. :blahblah Am I rambling??? :rofl3

Nothing wrong with a couple of fantails. :whistle

They're so cute! :heart

They probably are Ryukins. Chain stores get their stock from farms. Usuallly the quality of the fish that winds up in pet stores isn't the best. So genetically, they very possibly are ryukins, even though they're not showing the show standard hump. Some of your babies could turn out with a hump! Do you have new pictures?

The variety a goldfish belongs to is determined entirely by the phenotype. Even in closely inbred strains of fish bred for show, some of the fry will not have the characteristics of their parents' variety. If you mate a couple of pet store ryukins, most of the offspring will be ryukins, but you have a high probability of getting lots of fry that belong to another variety. You can't compare goldfish varieties to breeds of dogs. If you mate a purebred cocker spaniel to a cocker spaniel, all of the puppies will be cocker spaniels. They may have show faults, but none of them will be beagles or schnauzers. Not so with goldfish.

But that's not the reason you got fantails from the ryukin tank at the pet store. Apparently ryukins sell well, because in any of the big box pet stores I go to, the "small ryukin" tank can hold almost anything -- fantails, orandas, nymphs. Apparently the suppliers realize the store employees and their customers know little about goldfish varieties. I asked a fairly knowledgeable employee about why a fish was in the wrong tank, and she said, "Whatever the label is on the bag, that's what we have to sell it as."

The fry are changing colors!! :greenbanana:

Yesterday I noticed most of the nacreous fry getting coloration on their tails….looks dark…black? And also, several have it on their dorsals.

IMG_1856_zps000fac33.jpg

IMG_1853_zps222fc931.jpg

Here is a metallic. Is this a four-lobed tail? If so, this is only one of two or three that may have one. All others look to have tripod tails.

And, maybe I was imagining this, but the some of the metallic fry are getting a little orange under their chins? I could sit and watch them all day. It's really amazing! :D