Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anna-Katharina Parsons

Python . How to fix to UK tap

Hi. I purchased a python to help me with the waterchanges especially while I am cycling the tank.

Unfortunately I thought the universal adaptor would fit my taps. It doesn't . It's far to large.

Anyone of my fellow UK citizens have a solution?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

was it an actual python brand water changer? can you up a pic or two of the bits that are supposed to fit directly to the tap?

Hi Helen. Yeah it's the actual python brand. Extremely expensive too. So all the more annoying that I can't fit it. I'll send pictures tonight when I get back from work.

i've had to purchase a couple of bits to get mine to fit the aussie system. hopefully we're running the same threads and you're missing the brass bits i had to buy.. then i can just guide you as to what you need to purchase for all the magic to happen :)

when you get back to the sink, could you also run your fingers along the inside of the spout and see if there is any threading? also, do you have an aerator attached? see the image below (it's not my image) for the aerator bit i mention. it should be a screw on part.

02-kitchen-faucets.jpg

i have my fingers crossed :bighug

Unfortunately by kitchen tap seems to have the aerator permanently attached to it. I don't think it's a screw on. However I remember running my fingers along the inside of my bathroom taps and it felt like threading. A brass universal adaptor arrived with my python but it's too large :( Thanks for your help. Hug

so the smaller part of the brass adaptor will not fit into the bathroom taps?

you may need the snap connector 49F or the universal adaptor 69A.. http://www.pythonproducts.com/products.html and i suggest you email Python to see if they have a solution to your problem...

but first,

sometimes, if the aerator has not been shifted for a long time, as in years, it may seem that it won't come off or that it's fused together. but, if there is a grate in it, it's gotta come loose as it's meant to be changed every so often. see again if you can find any signs of that part being a two piece, and if so, i can help guide you with tips for unscrewing it.

I am not trying to encourage the destruction of your tap, by any means.

But I thought the aerator was pemanently on my sink too.

Someone suggested I use a wet towel and a wrench (towel so the sink won't get damaged), which ended up working.

Good luck, and I hope you figure out a solution.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

Hi guys thanos for the advice. I'll send pics when I'm at home. Should have done that with the original post duh. Hopefully we can figure it out together. Cheers

Someone suggested I use a wet towel and a wrench (towel so the sink won't get damaged), which ended up working.

hey smarty pants.. i just used some fine grade sandpaper :lol2

hey smarty pants.. i just used some fine grade sandpaper :lol2

That was so you could reno your kitchen :P

So as promised my tap pictures.

This is my kitchen tap. I really don'T think I can remove the aerator (?). Bare in mind I am in a rented flat and can't destroy the kitchen lol.

IMAG0181_zps5c11290c.jpg

IMAG0183_zps7dbb2468.jpg

These are my bathroom taps. They are just way too small for the adaptor.

Do I just have really weird Faucets?

IMAG0184_zps48dcb323.jpg

IMAG0185_zps77258e49.jpg

IMAG0186_zpsc86dc114.jpg

IMAG0187_zps0ef27616.jpg

IMAG0188_zpsc138ada1.jpg

IMAG0191_zps519360e9.jpg

Ergh my taps look discusting

Edited by Dandelion Blue

i reckon the aerator here comes off.. the first clue that it most likely will is the fact that it's shaped to hexagonal. you should try to uses some long nose pliers or a small pipe wrench to see if it will pry off.

IMAG0183_zps7dbb2468.jpg

I agree.

That, and the fact that aerators are meant to be replaced occasionally. :)

What 's a pipe wrench lol sorry ffor the stupid question. I made a huge mess today doing my first wc. Could really use the python.

this is a pipe wrench:

2365_4-pc._pipe_wrench_set_tekton.jpg

Hmm. Googled it. I'll give it a try. It's very rusty though

meh, don't worry for the rust... we can sterilize the spout afterwards. give it your best shot! :)

any news?

Hi Helen.

i don't have a pipe wrench. i tried with some other gadget but all it does is make pieces of metal crumble off :/

I am going to have to get a pipe wrench

Hi Helen.

i don't have a pipe wrench. i tried with some other gadget but all it does is make pieces of metal crumble off :/

I am going to have to get a pipe wrench

I agree with Helen and think that the end should come off as it's hexagonal.

Pipe wrenches are also called stilsons in the UK. I think it's a brand name that just caught on such as Hoover.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get on the hexagonable bit with a pipe wrench if there isn't much of the aereator sticking out. Do you know anyone with a socket set? Or you could get a cheap one like this for instance http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLSON-TOOLS-40-PIECE-SOCKET-SET-36109-1-4-3-8-DRIVE-SOCKET-SET-/170726197501.

If you measure across the flats of the hexagon it'll give you an idea of the size you need.

Or maybe something like this would be better? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231161657162?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Please let us know how you get on and remember, lefty loosey, righty tighty! :)